Boxster for DE/Autocross - XPost

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 02:11 PM
gs
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Boxster for DE/Autocross - XPost

Hello,

I've searched extensively in this forum and the Boxster forum, and haven't found much that's definitive...

I intend to buy a new or 2003+ Boxster S as a daily driver and for the occasional DE or AutoX. Are there any significant limitations or compromises involved in using a Boxster in this way (as opposed to a 911)? I'm aware of the compromise involved in using a daily driver for track events; I'm more concerned that the Boxster won't qualify for certain events in stock form. I'm particularly interested in any feedback people have that have done DEs or autocross down here. (I'm aware of PCA and PBOC - are there others that do track days in Florida?)

TIA,
Greg
Old 12-31-2004, 05:05 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gs
Hello,

I've searched extensively in this forum and the Boxster forum, and haven't found much that's definitive...

I intend to buy a new or 2003+ Boxster S as a daily driver and for the occasional DE or AutoX. Are there any significant limitations or compromises involved in using a Boxster in this way (as opposed to a 911)? I'm aware of the compromise involved in using a daily driver for track events; I'm more concerned that the Boxster won't qualify for certain events in stock form. I'm particularly interested in any feedback people have that have done DEs or autocross down here. (I'm aware of PCA and PBOC - are there others that do track days in Florida?)

TIA,
Greg
For AX, stock (and modified as well) Boxsters are welcome everywhere I know of (SCCA, BMWCCA, PCA). From a regional and I believe nation competition standopint, there are new classes in PCA for dead stock late model cars which includes the Boxsters. As an aside, the S, from an AX perspective is an inferior choice to the standard model. Believe it or not the standard one typically posts quicker times. The common explanation is that the six speed is sub optimally geared for the typical course. Obviously rules and classing vary from local to local so you should check with the folks you intend to run with (SCCA is far more rigorous in its definition of stock versus modifed then is PCA particularly at the region level).

For DE there are some tracks that have a broomstick rule and most, if not all clubs will require you to run top up unless you use arm restraints. The integral roll bar is accepted by PCA and BMWCCA here in the northeast as adequate, not sure what PBOC rules are, but I suspect you're fine.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:19 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PBOC and PCA Regions in Florida have no problems with Boxsters in DE events.
There are always a goodly number at the autocross events too and the Boxsters usually do very well. There are some very good drivers in the Gold Coast region who with few or no options (except maybe tires) run with the big dogs.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:23 AM
Leeds Gulick
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I disagree with RJay above on the relative merits of the Boxster and Boxster S as autocross cars. How is a regular Boxster a better autocross car than an S? The weight and gearing differences aren't significant compared to the horsepower and particularly torque advantage of the S.

I previously owned a 1999 Boxster with M030 (sport suspension) and presently own a 2003 Boxster S with M030 set to SCCA Stock rules (adjustable front sway bar, same size tires font and rear) that is consistantly quicker than an identically set up Boxster driven by a driver with fairly similar skills. He always autocrosses his Boxster while I only autocross my S when I'm not driving my F Prepared 914/6. We both participate in SCCA Nationals (I'm usually in the 914/6) and we both run on autocross compound Hoosiers, though mine date back to 2003. I'm faster by about .75 seconds except in the wet where he runs on DOT radial rain Hoosiers and I run on my street tires.

Leeds
Old 01-01-2005, 11:55 AM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Leeds Gulick
I disagree with RJay above on the relative merits of the Boxster and Boxster S as autocross cars. How is a regular Boxster a better autocross car than an S? The weight and gearing differences aren't significant compared to the horsepower and particularly torque advantage of the S.

I previously owned a 1999 Boxster with M030 (sport suspension) and presently own a 2003 Boxster S with M030 set to SCCA Stock rules (adjustable front sway bar, same size tires font and rear) that is consistantly quicker than an identically set up Boxster driven by a driver with fairly similar skills. He always autocrosses his Boxster while I only autocross my S when I'm not driving my F Prepared 914/6. We both participate in SCCA Nationals (I'm usually in the 914/6) and we both run on autocross compound Hoosiers, though mine date back to 2003. I'm faster by about .75 seconds except in the wet where he runs on DOT radial rain Hoosiers and I run on my street tires.

Leeds
Not my personal observation, its from drivers I respect. Not being a boxster guy, always found this notion odd too. Neverthess in our two PCA regions each with very competitive class of around a dozen Boxsters with a few S's PCA regions, the Boxsters dominate. I will say that our courses are significantly different from those typically found at SCCA nationals as they average from 1:10 to 2:00 of driving on a 1 to 1.75 mile course and tend to be what I like to term as "PC" courses as they tend to reward rotation, not power. Its an environment in which a higher terminal speed in 2nd gear, perhaps, can make more of a difference than extra HP.

Quick Reply: Boxster for DE/Autocross - XPost