The Racers Group Moves to Pontiac Power

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 01:29 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Racers Group Moves to Pontiac Power

The press release below is cut and paste from the Grand Am web site. Earlier press releases said the team would also run two GT3 Cup cars but no mention in this release.

Interesting developments - Tracy Krohn was the money behind Dick Barbour's Lambroghini effort in ALMS last season. Unfortunately Krohn, racing with only a few years of experience, crashed several cars in 2004 in both ALMS and Grand Am Cup.

They've put together a nice driver line up - spending some big bucks!

Krohn Racing/TRG To Field Daytona Prototypes at Rolex 24 for 2004 Rolex Series Champ and Indy 500 Winner

(December 30, 2004) -- Krohn Racing and The Racer's Group (TRG) will join forces to enter two Daytona Prototype cars in the 2005 Rolex Sports Car Series, under the combined management of team owners Tracy Krohn of Houston, Texas, and Kevin Buckler of Sonoma, Calif. The DP team will operate from the Krohn Racing / TRG race shops in Indianapolis and Sonoma, Calif.

2004 Rolex Series DP co-champion Max Papis of Miami Beach, Fla., will drive the No. 66 Krohn/TRG car in selected races, starting with the Rolex 24 At Daytona on Feb. 5 and 6. Jörg Bergmeister of Langenfeld, Germany, has signed to drive the car for the full season and Oliver Gavin of Northamptonshire, England, will join for the Daytona race.

2004 Indianapolis 500 winner Buddy Rice of Phoenix will also drive at Daytona, sharing the No. 67 DP with its full-time drivers Krohn and Nic Jönsson of Buford, Ga.

The Krohn/TRG cars will be Riley chassis with Pontiac power. The chassis is a change from the TRG Crawford chassis previously announced, due to modifications that couldn't be completed in time for the season-opening race.

Tracy Krohn, owner

"In speaking with Kevin over the last few months, it became evident that combining efforts in what is certainly the fastest-growing sports-car series in all of motorsports is a winning idea for both of us. I am a firm believer that good things happen when talented people get together and work hard. This will be a pivotal year for this team and this series and I am very pleased to be a part of it."

Kevin Buckler, owner

"It's pretty cool because Tracy and I had our teams parked next to each other all year. Just recently, we started casually talking and I said, 'Why don't we make this the Racing Brady Bunch?' We're slowly but surely assembling a group of all-stars for our program; we have the same vision and the same goals. I'm really excited about what the future holds together."

Max Papis, driver, No. 66

"I'm looking forward to this new challenge as a GM works driver and I'm particularly proud of being back at Daytona as a Rolex Sports Car (Series) champion. I'm looking forward to contributing to this new challenge with all the guys at Krohn Racing/TRG who are putting together a really strong program for '05."

Buddy Rice, driver, No. 67

"After winning this year's Indianapolis 500, I have had a chance to really think about the importance of winning such an historic event, and in racing there are only a handful of really historic races like that. The Rolex 24 Hours is definitely one of them. I think the level of of competition will be higher than ever this year; to have the opportunity to participate with such a great program as Krohn Racing/TRG is something I am really looking forward to."

Krohn Racing/TRG DP drivers - 2005 Rolex 24 At Daytona

No. 66
Jörg Bergmeister Langenfeld, Germany
Oliver Gavin Northamptonshire, England
Max Papis Miami Beach, Fla.

No. 67
Nic Jönsson Buford, Ga.
Tracy Krohn Houston, Texas
Buddy Rice Phoenix, Ariz.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:43 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oops, here is the other press release on their GT cars:

The Racer's Group To Field Six GT Cars In Rolex 24

(December 28, 2004) -- The Racer's Group (TRG) will field six Porsche 911 GT3 Cup cars in the 2005 Rolex 24 At Daytona. The fleet will be driven by a talented international group.

TRG team owner Kevin Buckler of Sonoma, Calif., will join 2004 Rolex Sports Car Series SGS champions Marc Bunting of Monkton, Md., and Andy Lally of Dacula, Ga., in the No. 65 (champions) Porsche. Carlos de Quesada of Coral Gables, Fla., and Hugh Plumb of Chadds Ford, Pa., will also drive with them in the 24-hour endurance race.

Father and son Joe and Jay Policastro of Latrobe, Pa., will return to defend their 2004 GT win at Daytona, this time driving the No. 64 (Daytona defenders) Porsche. In 2004, their Classic Industries Porsche led all but 97 minutes of the 24-hour race, won the GT class and finished second overall. Their 2005 Daytona partners will be Miguel Amaral and Pedro Couceiro of Lisbon, Portugal, who finished third in the 2004 Spanish GT Championship.

The No. 61 (Canadian) entry will also feature a father-and-son duo. Greg and Mark Wilkins of Toronto will drive with Dave Lacey of Toronto and David Shep of Caledon, Ont. The Wilkins and Lacey scored an SGS podium finish at Daytona in 2004.

Top Porsche Club of America drivers Derek Clark of Corona del Mar, Calif., Pat Flanagan of Aliso Viejo, Calif., and Dave Master of Houston, Texas, and Santa Fe, N.M., will team with Marc Sluszny of Antwerp, Belgium, in the No. 63 (traders) Porsche. All four work in the financial industry, so they will be able to trade driving and business tips between race stints.

TRG will also welcome an all-Japanese driver lineup - Akira Fujita of Yokohama, Akira Hirakawa of Hiroshima and Takashi Inoue, Kiichi Takahashi and Hiroshi Wada, all of Tokyo, will share driving duty in the No. 62 (Porsche Club Japan) Porsche.

As previously announced, the No. 16 (Team16) Porsche will be driven by Brad Coleman of Martinsville, Va., Colin Braun of Ovalo, Texas, Adrian Carrio of Monument, Colo., and Ross Bentley of Redmond, Wash.

"After 11 years of competing at the Rolex, TRG just keeps gathering more and more momentum. I'm really excited about putting together this fantastic group of drivers and friends under our banner," Buckler said. "This will definitely be no easy task, but I think the size of our team will serve us well in sharing a lot of technology and resources. From our engineering to our catering, the whole effort will be first class, and I'm looking for a real strong result."

The Rolex 24 At Daytona is scheduled for Feb. 5 and 6 on the 3.56-mile Daytona International Speedway infield road course in Daytona Beach, Fla.

###

TRG GT drivers - 2005 Rolex 24 at Daytona

No. 16 (Team16)
Brad Coleman Martinsville, Va.
Colin Braun Ovalo, Texas
Adrian Carrio Monument, Colo.
Ross Bentley Redmond, Wash.

No. 61 (Canadian)
David Lacey Toronto, Ont.
David Shep Caledon, Ont..
Greg Wilkins Toronto, Ont..
Mark Wilkins Toronto, Ont..

No. 62 (Porsche Club Japan)
Akira Fujita Yokohama, Japan.
Akira Hirakawa Hiroshima, Japan
Takashi Inoue Tokyo, Japan
Kiichi Takahashi Tokyo, Japan.
Hiroshi Wada Tokyo, Japan

No. 63 (traders)
Derek Clark Corona del Mar, Calif.
Pat Flanagan Aliso Viejo, Calif..
Dave Master Houston, Texas, and Santa Fe, N.M..
Marc Sluszny Antwerp, Belgium

No. 64 (Daytona defenders)
Miguel Amaral Lisbon, Portugal.
Pedro Couceiro Lisbon, Portugal.
Jay Policastro Latrobe, Pa..
Joe Policastro Latrobe, Pa.

No. 65 (champions)
Kevin Buckler Sonoma, Calif..
Marc Bunting Monkton, Md.
Hugh Plumb Chadds Ford, Pa.
Andy Lally Dacula, Ga.
Carlos de Quesada Coral Gables, Fla.