Sponsored by:

Car lift Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 11:39 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I got the skinny on Mohawk...Hell of a lift, but CDN$7,100.00 FOB $300 away, plust tax. Too rich for moi.

Looking into Backyard buddy now; I think they are a Bend-Pak lift. Prices more at my level.

Thaks for all the advice and links. I'm following them up.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:42 AM
Bluesky4x4
Instructor

I have a two post 7000 lb Rotary low profile lift in my 30x40 shop. The concrete needed to be 4-6in and luckily it was around 6" everywhere but in one place. They used thunderbolts to install it, big stud they hammer in and when the nut is impacted down, the stud expands in the concrete. Being low profile the cables that keep each side at the same height go across the floor. I went with this due to rafter placement. We missed one rafter by 1/2in luckily as the installers didn't think about where the hydraulic rams were going to shoot up.

Anyhow here is the key for purchasing a good lift with profesional install at a great price. Call a lift company and ask for a local installer. Call the local installer and ask what they have used. If they have something you like, first get the price, second ask how much if you pay cash! My lift was $1400 used, $1200 cash. They installed it and did a great job, I was also able to call the dealership it was pulled from to ask how well it worked before purchasing.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:08 AM
racer914
Intermediate

I have five inch thick concrete with the fiberglass mesh and it has not been a problem. Your ceiling height will be a problem unless you go with the two post lift that is open at the top. Mine is adjustable to two heights...11'6" or 12'6". I planned for the lift when I built the garage so I have 12'7" of ceiling height.

I do have friend that has his lift installed in a rental storage facility that does not have the thick floors and it has not been a real problem. The foot print is fairly large so it speads out the weight.

I did not want the 4 psot lift because I wanted to be able to work in the car and the motor comes out the bottom. Hope that helps.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:30 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the tips re: buying a used lift. I'll be persuing that avenue next week. Why didn't I think of that?

It is distressing to hear that a 10'6" ceiling will be a problem. I'll have to look carefully at the height specs for anything I contemplate buying.

Again, Thanks for all the GREAT advice!
Old 01-09-2005, 04:10 PM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

If you can't go up you can always go down

http://hardingsteel.com

Quick Reply: Car lift Advice