Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18" Cup Car Slicks

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 12:23 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Norm, You should see an improvement in your understeer given your locker. I had a worn out stock LSD (basically no diff) so when I added the Guard LSD my suspension set up started to slightly understeer. I have since set up the car to eliminate understeer. You should me much better without a full locker, though I would look into a larger spread in tire compounds as we have already talked until you get a new LSD.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:25 AM
dbanazek
Intermediate

So as far as the initial inquiry is concerned... Would anyone care to generally characterize the various 18"slicks. How fast they are relative to the others and how long do they last. How much do they cost. Also where do you get dunlops and the euro michelins? My guess is SCCA GT2 cars will probably be easier on tires with more tire, less horespower and less weight. If anyone has ever run 16" goodyear slicks and switched to these that would be a great comparison too.

Thanks.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:46 PM
Bruce P
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave -- I ran 16 inch Goodyears on my previous car and have run Pirellis, Michelin and the Michelin supercup tires (euro) on my GT3 cup car. The 18 inch technology is very much better than the 16 inch Goodyears I believe mostly due to the shorter sidewall. The Michelins are much better than the Pirellis. The regular Michelin slicks are faster for about 5-6 laps and then the Supercup Michelins 'come on' and are better from there on out. I recently ran in Phoenix against a friend of mine that has the sister GT3 cup car to mine. I was on the regular Michelin slicks and he was on the Supercup slicks. I stayed ahead of him for about 6-8 laps and then my tires started to get a little sloppy and his were just starting to come on and he was able to get around me. The previous weekend we had run a race and we were both on the Supercup tires and our laptimes were virtually identical. This friend of mine ran his car last year in SCCA GT2 and went to the runoffs where he finished 9th. He ran the supercup tires all year and said he believes that the tires don't start to get their best grip until about 12 laps. He has more experience running them than I do as I used the Pirellis up until this year and then switched to the Michelins. I am not going back to the Pirellis. You can get the Michelin slicks from JD Motorsports at 1-800-722-3234.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:09 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 532 Posts

Norm,
Have you talked to Brian Copan? He put a factory motorsport LSD in my car.
As most know Brian does outstanding work.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:54 PM
dbanazek
Intermediate

Bruce , the Michelin Supercup you are talking about is a slick, not the DOT race tire right? Did you run the Goodyear radial or bias ply tires? This is the Bruce P when recent sold me a couple of cranks and 9 turbo heads right? Those heads are in California with some magic high dollar head guy. I will know if it was worth it in a couple of months. How long are your michelin slicks lasting?
Old 12-26-2004, 06:57 PM
Bruce P
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave -- Yes it is me. I am talking about the Michelin slicks and I was running Goodyear radials. The Michelins seem good for about 2 club racing weekend as long as you are running tracks that have good pavement like Laguna. Phoenix etc. Wouldd probably only get 1 weekend at Pueblo.

Quick Reply: 18" Cup Car Slicks