Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need used racing suit...not sure if I'll go further...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004 | 12:50 AM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Default Need used racing suit...not sure if I'll go further...

I've gotten great advice here before. For example, I got a new 5 point harness instead of used and a race seat and roll bar instead of harness bar and stick seat based on your responses. So, now I need some more advice.

To do time trials with the GG region of PCA I have to have a nomex race suit. I've done a number of DE days and really enjoy that. However, while I want to try time trialing, a logical extension of DE's, it seems a waste to get a new race suit if I choose to not continue past the 1 or 2 trials. So, since there doesn't seem to be age issues with nomex suits, I'm looking for a reasonably priced used suit for my XL bod... Can you help me out or give me a reason not to go used!! Thanks for your response!

-CKKrause
Old 12-16-2004 | 01:28 AM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GGR Rulebook
3.3T Time Trials
2. All certified drivers shall wear driving suits of flame-retardant material (i.e. flame retardant cotton, NOMEX, PROBAN, etc.) and underclothing of flame retardant material or 100% cotton. Hair protruding from beneath a driver's helmet and or beards or mustaches must be completely covered by automobile racing designed flame retardant material, except that instructors may forego the face covering when they are instructing. For students, full-length pants, long-sleeved shirts and socks of non-synthetic materials or driving suits are required for students.
Since they don't require a multi-layer suit, you could just get a single layer one, and they aren't that expensive new. OTOH, I picked up a double layer Sparco 5 off eBay for about $200, although it has an IRL logo and some other embroidery on it. One thing, the cuffs do snag, and the suits do wear, so don't get one that is too old or threadbare if you do go used.
Old 12-16-2004 | 03:04 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

There are other groups you can time trial with that don't require the full suit. The so-cal Alfa Romeo Club does the northern track every year. TCRA and Nor-Cal Racing don't require a suit, I'm pretty sure. You could try a couple of events like that, and then make the suit decision.

(Of course, if you catch fire before then, the suit is going to look pretty cheap. )
Old 12-16-2004 | 11:13 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

You know...when it all comes down to the bottom line, it's your A$$ that your covering, if you think that a used suit is good enough for you, then get a used suit, but if you want to be sure you'r covered then get a new suit. You can get a G-Force 2 layer SFI-5 suit for 369.95.

I don't work for Racer Wholesale, I just believe if you want to do this sport, then be safe about it.
Old 12-16-2004 | 11:59 AM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

I doubt you need a nomex suit for DE's and time trials, but, if the orginization requires it, you have no choice. Before I bought somone's stinky used one, I would think about Jason's advice, makes sense to me. Also, G Force makes some single layers that you can get new for less than $100, including shipping. Add a few patches, and voila, you look like a racer.

Bill Seifert

1987 944S Race Car

Quick Reply: Need used racing suit...not sure if I'll go further...