Sponsored by:

In car drinking system

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 12:21 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In car drinking system

I'm looking for an incar drinking system that places the water 'somewhere' in the car and then has a hose routed to inside the helmet like what's used in F1....anyone have any ideas?
Old 12-11-2004, 12:46 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Camelback backpack strapped to passenger seat. Reach over for the mouth tube when you need it.

I know a couple guys wwho use this.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:54 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Mike, that's what I was sort of leaning to.....Do you think it should be covered with Nomex? or would that be overkill?
Old 12-11-2004, 01:01 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

I would think if there's any sort of flame, I'd hope it would leak.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:29 PM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

i've never seen anybody do this before but it might be a good idea to rig up the camel back inside the coolsuit cooler, that way it stays nice and cold and isn't flopping around the cabin.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:29 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I use to use a Camelback strapped to the roll cage behind my seat. The problem was keeping the "nozzle" accesible to my mouth. I resorted to biting it while racing (which was a pain...).

Another problem is the height of placement, you don't want to have to lift the liquid from way below your mouth.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:31 PM
silver44
Instructor

Default in car drinking system

I bought a 1/2 gal cooler at the hardware store along with 1/2" clear tubing used for domestic water applications and plactic 1/4" bulkhead fitting (bought from my local Parker-Hannifin dealer). I drilled out a hole in the top of the cooler and threaded the bulkhead fitting into the cooler and attched the tubing. It works like a champ and looks great. I ran the tubing along my roll cage with wire ties. I can put ice in it and water and it really makes a difference.
Old 12-11-2004, 03:02 PM
Tim Pruitt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a 1/2 gallon water cooler with a hose attached to a windshield washer pump. Put the hose thru the front of my helmet and put it in my mouth during the race. Put porsche sunroof switch near gear shifter. Whenever I want water just push the switch and water shoots into my mouth.
Old 12-11-2004, 03:17 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Tim
that is very good to know.

(Do not be surprised if your teammates replace that motor with a more powerful one as a little HWFM prank.)

Last edited by Mike in Chi; 12-11-2004 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do any of you guys w. the hoses wear a balaclava? Did you cut a hole in it for the hose, or something more clever than that?
Old 12-11-2004, 08:39 PM
mistressmotorsports
Track Day

Whichever system you try, you might want to think about insulating the tube between the cooler/Camelback and your mouth. Maybe rear engine cars aren't so bad, but in my Vette, the inside of the car was well over 100 degrees when racing. So, I drank hot water for a second until the cool stuff got to my mouth. There is a nice insulator that is made just for this that you can get with a Camelback. I used a 70 ounce Camelback right behind the seat attached to the roll cage. Ice plus water or Gatorade or whatever I wanted that day.

Mike
Old 12-11-2004, 09:55 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I use a CamelBak, but I've also seen Longacre's trick looking drink bottle and holder.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:43 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Har...$50 bucks for a $7 cooler, $1.50 vinyl hose, $6 Camelback bite valve and a holder. No margin there...

The Professor's enduro team spec:

Bicycle bottle, large - $4
Bicycle bottle "cage" holder - $5
4' vinyl hose - $1.50
Camelback bite valve - $6
Total = $16.50

Drill the appropriate size hole in the top of the plastic bottle, insert the hose so it reaches the bottom. Wrap a zip tie around the inside so it doesn't accidentally pull out. Slide bite valve on the other end.

Hoseclamp the bottle 'cage' to the rollcage, someplace around driver's waist-level. Keeping it low keeps it from siphoning out if the bite valve leaks, and keeps the car's CG low (har again). Just stick the hose under the shoulder-belt, in the middle of your chest. When you want a drink, just reach down, grab the hose, stick it under your helmet chin-bar and SUCK. If you're wearing baklava, you need a mouthhole...or a Greek diner.

When you climb in for your shift, have the bottle filled with half ice and half 'whatever you're drinking' (beer goes flat too fast, we stick to margaritas). It'll stay cool for a tank of fuel. Each driver has his own damn bottle.

Cheep. Durable. Effective. We've been using this stuff for the past 10 years - two 24 Hour wins, six 12 Hour wins, innumberable 2-3-4-...wins. We haven't had anyone die of dehydration yet.

The bigger issue - what about the other end ? Depends...or a "texas cather" ? You decide...
Old 12-13-2004, 11:57 AM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
The bigger issue - what about the other end ? Depends...or a "texas cather" ? You decide...
No...just wear a dark racing suit. You'll get a warm feeling inside and nobody will notice.

Great discussion on the bottle. The longest I've run is a 90 minute enduro. With a cool suit, I've not been bothered by dehydration as long as I've sufficiently hydrated before the start. When the 5 minute mandatory pit stop happens, the water bottle while waiting is generally fine.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:50 PM
mm86911
Instructor

I also use a camel back strapped to passenger seat. Slide hose under balaclava and tend to bite it during the race.

Quick Reply: In car drinking system