Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of DE gifts/favors do you see and like?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004 | 09:05 AM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Default What kind of DE gifts/favors do you see and like?

Hey Guys,

I’ve been working with my local PCA region to help improve our Drivers’ Education events and was curious about what sort of gifts/favors (If any) you like to see as part of the DE weekend. Most DEs I’ve attended give you a long-sleeve t-shirt or some other gift/favor upon registration the first day of the event. In the past, the Allegheny Region has given the following:

Long-Sleeve T-Shirts with maps of the track on the back
Small glove box tool kits
Denim long-sleeve shirts with “PCA” embroidery
Leather portfolios

I personally like the t-shirts the best, as I use then most often, plus it gives me a shirt to wear to the next DE.

What do you guys think? What kind of gifts do you like/dislike? Or do you think the perception is that a gift is just extra money that is being charged for the event?

Many thanks,
Old 12-10-2004 | 10:56 AM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Noel,
Long sleeve T-shirts are the most useful, and you may be able to off-set some of the cost by putting an ad. on it. (may be talk to CDOC through Jay...just an idea).
Old 12-10-2004 | 11:05 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

The long sleeve t-shirt definately. Not only is it useful, but it really comes in handy for those folks who forget that many tracks require long sleeves.
Old 12-10-2004 | 11:17 AM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

I received a rather nice baseball hat at an event that I did at WGI. I definitely wouldn't mind getting one or two more of those.

-J
Old 12-10-2004 | 11:23 AM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Maybe I'm a party pooper but I don't care for any of it...gimme more seat time and I'm happy...
Old 12-10-2004 | 11:30 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter
Maybe I'm a party pooper but I don't care for any of it...gimme more seat time and I'm happy...
I generally agree with this. I run most of my DEs with my home region, NNJR. NNJR has one of the largest DE programs in PCA. I would prefer not to receive a t-shirt 11 times a year and instead would rather save the $100 or so that would have been spent on 10-11 t-shirts for me.

We usually get 1 t-shirt every 2 years in commoration of the "retiring" DE chairman. That's enough for me.

A good example is the Peachstate region's January Road Atlanta event. I attended this two years ago (and have my application in for this year) and they gave me a sweatshirt. Although it is a nice sweatshirt and I wear it a lot, I can't help but think that perhaps I would have preferred my entry fee to be lower by $20-30 instead of receiving this "free" gift.
Old 12-10-2004 | 12:06 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Hey if it's a choice of more chair time, lower price and a t-shirt, I'd pick the former two. but, my vote is for a t-shirt over other gifts.
Old 12-10-2004 | 12:09 PM
Tim Pruitt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

At a DE I received a nice Stainless Steel insulated travel mug from Peachtree Chapter BMWCCA. I use it everyday. It has the region logo and date of event on the mug.

Other Good Stuff:

Long Sleeve T-Shirts and Sweaters
Umbrella
Baseball Cap
Old 12-10-2004 | 12:16 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
A good example is the Peachstate region's January Road Atlanta event. I attended this two years ago (and have my application in for this year) and they gave me a sweatshirt. Although it is a nice sweatshirt and I wear it a lot, I can't help but think that perhaps I would have preferred my entry fee to be lower by $20-30 instead of receiving this "free" gift.
Sweet!!! Fewer clothes to pack for me!
Old 12-10-2004 | 12:24 PM
David Danhof
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm with Tim, I use the BMWCCA mug every day. The long sleeve t-shirt works, but over the years I have dozens of the same shirt...different color. Now I request the smallest size available & send them to my nephews...
Old 12-10-2004 | 01:40 PM
jerome951
Drifting

One event gave out golf-sized umbrellas w/ gold, black, and red panels. One of the most useful DE gifts I've received.

Of course, it rained that weekend (a lot)...
Old 12-10-2004 | 01:56 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is only my first year in DE's, so I don't mind getting the swag when offered. Long sleeve t-shirts, hats, travel mugs, umbrellas are all nice, pretty much in that order for preference. I have also seen some giveaways of those little "track configuration" decals, that are about 4-6" square and that some folks like to stick to their cars like war victory "kills". One event had been partially sponsored by a local Porsche dealership, and we got Porsche crest coffee mugs (ceramic, not the travel type) as well as Porsche keychains.

One of the nicest events I went to provided small bottles of water and gatorade all day (and it was a HOT day), and also included pastries in the morning and lunch in the registration price. This made things much more convenient, and may be of more value to some folks than other giveaways.

Good luck,
Tom
Old 12-10-2004 | 02:32 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Having done my first DE 12 years ago, and racing since 2000 in various venues, I have more T-shirts than I could ever wear.

I do like the button down shirts that the Sebring and Atlanta races have been giving out. There are more occasions to wear em. But alas I see Sebring is going to Polos. I got a textile mill full of those too.

Here's a different thought for any organizers. Take the money that would go to the wearables and hire a professional photographer for the weekend.

Then make all the shots downloadable by the entrants via a password from the photographer's site (appropriate property rights/usage rights maintained).

Everybody likes a good action shot.
Old 12-10-2004 | 02:37 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Here's a different thought for any organizers. Take the money that would go to the wearables and hire a professional photographer for the weekend.

Then make all the shots downloadable by the entrants via a password from the photographer's site (appropriate property rights/usage rights maintained).

Everybody likes a good action shot.
That is an awesome idea.
Old 12-10-2004 | 02:43 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mike - I have a better idea....hire Umbrella Girls...

Quick Reply: What kind of DE gifts/favors do you see and like?