Sponsored by:

AIM & MoTeC Users

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 05:37 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Whats the deal with the XtremeX3 system I see advertised in Autoweek? (Apart from being pricey?)
Old 12-10-2004, 06:07 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang is that cool. I will spare all the caveots/excuses I can offer about my driving (or lack therof), but what an awesome product. Tony, I'm in. How do I get it? How much?
Old 12-10-2004, 06:47 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ColorChange
Dang is that cool. I will spare all the caveots/excuses I can offer about my driving (or lack therof), but what an awesome product. Tony, I'm in. How do I get it? How much?
Are you sure?

The AIM data translation still needs work. It turns out that the data structure appears to vary considerably between installations, and even between data samples when the installation is being changed. We are planning to deliver a nice easy tool to overcome this little wrinkle.

Anyone can download the product HERE , and try it out in demo mode. Purchase the full functionality for $125.

It is extremely cool that you guys seem to like what we have done. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:45 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
The reason we are seeing $2000 plus video & data 'add-ons' from AIM and MoTeC is because the 'gentleman racer' would not think twice about spending that kind of money.

Saw the AIM video product, which is coming next year sometime. Its a ~ $2000 box [without camera/s, mic/s, etc] which records data and video onto solid state storage. Download the file, and you have it! No muss, no fuss.
Originally Posted by APKhaos
Are you sure?

The AIM data translation still needs work. It turns out that the data structure appears to vary considerably between installations, and even between data samples when the installation is being changed. We are planning to deliver a nice easy tool to overcome this little wrinkle.

Anyone can download the product HERE , and try it out in demo mode. Purchase the full functionality for $125.

It is extremely cool that you guys seem to like what we have done. Thanks.

Well some of us not-so-gentlemenly future racers are poor enough that at $2k for the video box, no matter how cool, I'll definitely wind up being a TrackVision customer! Just curious but is the AIM video box a standalone data logger as well or does it require a M3, MXL or evo3 to feed its desires?
Old 12-10-2004, 10:24 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

From everything I have heard the AIM box is simply an expansion box that sits on the CAN bus. So it does require the AIM system.

By the way, I am at PRI now and met all the AIM engineers and company owner all from Italy. Very nice...

Norm
Old 12-10-2004, 10:55 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Norm,
I agree - great guys. Hope nobody thought I suggested otherwise.
My notes suggest that AIM plans to release two version of the video box - one that has a stand alone logging function [much more limited than the full house MXL box], and one that is an add-on to an MXL system.

The gentlemen racer thing is a direct quote. I aspire, but alas........
Old 12-11-2004, 12:17 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tony,

I didn't think you said anything negative about them. I was just passing on that I did think they were nice...

BTW-I just tried your very cool software with a few laps of video and data. Very nice looking s/w.
I know you are still working on the AIM portion so I thought I would mention that the video shows up fine, but nothing shows up in the data window when I load my csv data file. Maybe a parsing issue. Keep in mind that with AIM, the field order can be different on everyone's system depenind on how they configure. If you are psarsing by header record, the field names can also be cusomtized to whatever the user names it. So the default acc1 may be renamed to LongG or something like that. But you probably already are awre.

here is the field order in my little sample export :
Time
Time [s]
Distance [m]
Engine [rpm]
Speed_1 [km/h]
OILP [psi]
FUELP [psi]
OILT [°C]
BOOST [psi]
LEGT [°C]
REGT [°C]
Acc_1 [g]
Datalogger_Tem [°C]
Battery [V]

Of course it could be user error

** I just noticed that there is no properties file or dll for the MXL Pro. Maybe it thinks it is parsing a data file from the DL series since those are the only propery files I have ?

BTW-feel free to email me directly and I am happy to help anyway you like.

Keep up the good work, this is a GREAT idea!!!

Thanks,
Norm

Last edited by ngoldrich; 12-11-2004 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:45 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tony,

As a test I edited the generic properties with the proper field labels and set the preferences to generic. But tit still did not show data. I will try some other things. It may just be because AIM is not yet supported in this version...

Thx,
Norm
Old 12-11-2004, 02:50 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tim,

Okay, I now have data showing, I had to update the generic record pointers so that it knew which record was the field descriptor and which one was the start of data... I will run some other tests.

I assume with Generic I cannot add more than analog4 since I am guessing the generic dll does not support it ? Or will it also handle 5-8.

Thx,
Norm
Old 12-11-2004, 03:37 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tim,

I now have RPM and speed displaying. But it looks like some records are being discarded/ignored - maybe because they have a speed of 0?

For example the fist lap (scrubbing tires including pit out time) is 3:45
Lap 2 = 1:11
Lap 3=1:09
Lap4=1:11 (lap traffic)
Lap5=1:11 (lap traffic)
lap6=3:22 (cool down)

So grand total duration should be = 638 seconds

Yet it only shows a total duration = 226 seconds

Thx,
Norm
Old 12-11-2004, 09:10 PM
rs911t
Instructor

Norm,

You've done exactly the right thing editing the generic.properties file. While it was designed to be customized by the user, the AIM format offers a couple of challenges. We'll have an updated release ready in a couple of weeks to deal with these issues and their Motec counterparts. I can answer a couple of your questions.

You can user 8 analog and 8 digital variables, analog_ch01 thru ch08 and digital_ch01 thru ch08.

The generic logger expects the time values to begin at 0 and increase linearly through the file. The AIM times each lap separately. No doubt this is the source of the timing problem. We'll have a fix for this issue in the next release.

Thanks for the feedback! Now that the product is available we'll be rolling out new capabilities regularly. These improvements will be a direct result of what we hear from our users. Thanks!

Greg
Old 12-12-2004, 09:15 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Greg,

Thanks and keep up the good work. I am glad to help so let me know if you need anything.

Norm
Old 12-12-2004, 10:08 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Greg,

You were correct about the linear lap time being the problem. I put a process together that made it linear and the timing problem went away. All the laps appeared.

Norm
Old 12-12-2004, 10:42 AM
rs911t
Instructor

Norm,

TrackVision v1.2 can be configured to generate the sample time based on an interval.
That'll solve the AIM problem as well as make it easier to input sections of data taken
mid-stream. The latter will make it easier to deal with large datasets.

Greg
Old 12-12-2004, 12:35 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Greg,

BTW - I went to purchase the s/w and even though it allows the use of Amex cards it wont process them. It says unsupported card type...

Norm

Quick Reply: AIM & MoTeC Users