Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What if I don't have a log book?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004 | 11:48 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Default What if I don't have a log book?

This is for a non-Porsche, but I figured someone would know. My Father just purchased an SCCA race car (GT-3 Eagle Talon) that was formerly owned and raced by Archer Racing. This car competed (as part of a 3 car team) and won the SCCA world challenge (in '91 I believe) as well as several other races before it was retired for 10 years or so. After that, the car was purchased to compete in an endurance race earlier this year at Mosport, then sold to my Father. The PO was unable to produce a log book. What can we do? Can we replace the log book, do we need to find the original? I haven't read up on the SCCA rules yet, but I was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem and how it was solved.

Thanks!

Last edited by OriginalSterm; 12-07-2004 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-07-2004 | 12:16 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

No need for original. Just prepare the car to the current rules set in which you want to run and present the car without a logbook. Your first race will just involve a longer tech process, as they go over everything to make you a new logbook.
Old 12-07-2004 | 02:09 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

I figured it wasn't totally required, but I didn't know how much more difficult it would make things.

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2004 | 03:51 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

The Archer Brothers had a couple of smokin Talons that ran in World Challenge - and if my memory is correct, they were AWD. Whenever it rained, they ruled. Don't know if your cars are still AWD, but if they are, that drops them out of GT-3, but they would be eligible for a "Regional-only" class - ITE, or possibly Super Production (SP).

Any Nat'l-licensed SCCA Scrutineer can issue a car log book. You don't need the original.

If you look on the main hoop of the roll-cage, you'll find a stamped number that looks something like XX-YYYY. The two-digit XX part specifies which SCCA Region issued the original log books. Each Region keeps a log of car log books issued, so you could have the original Region issue the books, if you want it for historic reasons.
Old 12-07-2004 | 05:04 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

This is the car...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

FWD, 2.0 NA, factory built race car.
Old 12-07-2004 | 05:11 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Nice car, and a nice deal as well. Congrats!
There were three PCA CR log books with my car when I got it. To have the car scutineered for NASA racing simply required turning up the annual tech inspection, where a new NASA log book was issued. Sounds like the good Professor has set you on the right path for SCCA sanctioning. Its a good idea to get all this done early - before the first race of the season if possible. You might need time to correct any minor issues that arise from the initial inspection - things that are specific to current SCCA rules.
Old 12-07-2004 | 06:41 PM
DAR951
Pro

One thing that might prove to be a bit problematic is the cage material (ERW vs. DOM) Hopefully the cage number referrenced by the Perfesser is there and will be enough for you to continue to be "grandfathered" in, but no new log books are being issued for cars with ERW cages.

While not guaranteed, given when it was built, I would guess your cage is, in fact, built from ERW... and while I sure can't tell the difference by looking, I'm told by tech inspectors, they can... might want to check before you get too much farther...

Quick Reply: What if I don't have a log book?