Racing Etiquette 101

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 09:56 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by APKhaos
DE is to Racing as Paintball is to Armed Combat.
Hmmm...

Sweeping generalizations. True, in theory, but quite dependant. I've seen plenty of Club Races that had less action than a lot of the DE's I've been driving in the last year or so. Then, I've seen some that were not so processional.

Point taken, though... in general!
Old 12-07-2004, 10:51 PM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, you're definitely receiving a great deal of excellent advice (as always on RL) (am I'm benefiting). I was caught in a similar circumstance at Willow Springs this past weekend during the TCRA race on Sat. WS in Dec at 3:30 is a driving nightmare, turn 8 to 9 and all of 2 is right into the setting winter sun. The race had 20+ cars between Vipers/400HP 914/Turbo 944s and yes a few -2.5L 944 Spec and others. Back markers!!

As the sun sets call "hold your line" the gospel at this point. Holding your line was to make sure you made it through these turns "Safely". I had a few Vipers and a turbo Supra that weren't really happy that I blocked them, but otherwise I may have been off course.

Any advice on how to compensate for the low sun angles during races?
Old 12-08-2004, 05:31 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

APK... does that mean we can take paintball guns racing? That might be the perfect solution to some guy holding you up.... who needs a middle finger?

David Ray.... rule number one.... stay on the track.... etiquete and politeness aside, spinning and going 4 off is even ruder... don;t take any line that you think is unsafe.

"Holding your line" does not mean take the exact racing line in all circumstances... it simply means being very predictable to the passing drivers and not making unexpectded moves.... the idea is simply to be very obvious about where you are going so that they can plan on being where you are not.... so once you have "signaled" what line you are taking.... stay with the plan.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:15 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by JCP911S
APK... does that mean we can take paintball guns racing? That might be the perfect solution to some guy holding you up.... who needs a middle finger?
No no no.

Paintball guns are for DEs.

For racing you need a .45 cal.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:23 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the input guys. I really appreciate it. I will try to remember all this good advice for next time.

I don't carry a gun in my car on public roads since I KNOW I would use it an wind up in prison. But a paintball gun, now that's an idea. Probably give someone a heart attack though, and still wind up in prison...
Old 12-08-2004, 06:26 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Originally Posted by Geo
No no no.

Paintball guns are for DEs.

For racing you need a .45 cal.

There you go George. You get it. In some series, something with a decent sized clip might be better than the .45 cal.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:29 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 587 Likes on 450 Posts

I know that the POC folks like point-byes - out the window, or with your right hand in the car. For many years I had the slowest car out there - a 65 911 and got passed all day long! Point-byes make it safe - everyone knows where you are going, and you know where the other guys is heading.

Here's the start of one of our races - Mike you're on the move heading down the middle!! I'm in the back as well - it's fun back there
Attached Images  

Last edited by garrett376; 12-09-2004 at 02:01 AM.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:39 AM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sweet pic dude! I nailed the start pretty good. Picked up 4 spots I think. But lost 3 of 'em back in, or just after T1 .

I heard one of the guys has some good in-car of me getting REALLY sideways in the buttonhook (T2 I think) while serveral (3 or 4) of the faster guys ducked underneath during Saturday's qualifying race. I managed to straighten it out and get back on the gas quick enough to keep from losing the spot to Dennis P. Well, that lap anyway .

Man, what a fun weekend! This whole passing/point-by thread is just a footnote on how I can improve myself as a racer. But the weekend overall was an A++ in my book.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:04 AM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Hmmm...

Sweeping generalizations. True, in theory, but quite dependant. I've seen plenty of Club Races that had less action than a lot of the DE's I've been driving in the last year or so. Then, I've seen some that were not so processional.

Point taken, though... in general!
A little late to this thread, but I figured I'd back the wise Mr. RedlineMan up. Heres a picture of a few of the dudes and there rides who were out on the track at my last DE. Was doing over 125 when I got passed by that low slinky blue and white number being pushed out onto the track... Needless to say there was a bit of action at this event. BTW, The guy putting on his helmet is David Murray.

Heres one of the Doran on track (blurry of course)

Old 12-10-2004, 12:33 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NetManiac
Q) Am I expected to give the faster car room to get by as soon as they come up on me so they don't have to slow, lifting (or even braking) myself to keep from messing up their race? Or is it appropriate to drive through a section of track using it all, and then give them a opportunity to get by when it will not be so damaging to my race?
Hey Mike. From the POC Racer's Clinic Handbook. I believe they are simply quoting Skip Barber.

Equal Cars where One is Being Lapped or is Uncompetitive
“If you’re driving the slower car and the faster one is alongside you in the braking zone, you should yield the line.”

“If the faster car is not quite alongside you, you should still yield the line.”

“If the faster car is behind you at the turn-in point, you should, as a courtesy, leave one and a half car-widths between your car and the apex, letting the other driver decide whether to do the pass in the corner or on the following straight.”

I believe the third one applies to you as you were probably being lapped by another R5 car, right? (either Rousch, Howard, Monsalve or Alarcon?)

Good to see you at Buttonwillow. It was fun.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:08 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mark. I don't remember that being in the handbook. I'll have to make sure I re-read it again before next season.

I believe at some point in time all three of those applied to me. And yeah, I believe all 4 of those guys lapped me in just about every session. I don't feel too bad since Taylor got lapped also .

You've got one more clinic before you're licensed, is that right?
Old 12-10-2004, 05:09 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think that advice in the handbook is excellent rule of thumb. Bottom line, the faster car is going to put a passing move on you at some point, so that will pretty much determine how you should handle it....

it is just important to make your decision before you commit to the turn, and make sure it is clear to the passing car what you are doing.

If
Old 12-10-2004, 11:34 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mark in Hermosa
Equal Cars where One is Being Lapped or is Uncompetitive
“If you’re driving the slower car and the faster one is alongside you in the braking zone, you should yield the line.”

“If the faster car is not quite alongside you, you should still yield the line.”

“If the faster car is behind you at the turn-in point, you should, as a courtesy, leave one and a half car-widths between your car and the apex, letting the other driver decide whether to do the pass in the corner or on the following straight.”
This is pretty much what I see most considerate racers doing in PCA, but at the last event I was at, I had a slower car that I was lapping jump over to the inside to block me deliberately. It was unfortunate because it allowed the car I was racing, and who was behind me, to jump me on the outside and make the pass while I was pinned. I don't see much sense in holding up faster cars and I try to leave them plenty of room when I'm getting lapped. It's no fun to have someone on your *** anyway.

Quick Reply: Racing Etiquette 101