AIM Mychron vs. Pista

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 01:58 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ColorChange
They are using differential GPS to do this. Not only do you get elevation changes, the big thing is you can see your line! This allows you to compare segment times accurately (g-sum and line) to see which is fastest. An accelerometer is used for lat g, long g is calculated.
Cool. Another interesting point about GPS is made by Race Technology in their touting of the DL1 which is that wheel speed sensors are not all that accurate due to a number of factors such as tire deformation under load as well as slip angles etc. They claim, if I recall their blurb correctly, that there can be up to a 4% error from wheel speed info which GPS can reduce to under 1%.

Dunno if you folks with systems currently have every seen any anomolies that might indicate if this is important or not. Just musing, but I could imagine a scenario where you were in a drift in which the corner speed was caclulated to be lower than on another lap, but your top speed on the following straight was higher which might possibly indicate that the wheel speed sensor logging was in error. It would seem to me that if you're really trying to shave tenths accurate speed on corner exit is an important consideration. I assume this could be mitigated by dual (or more) speed sensors.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:27 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just spoke with AIM and they say the Video overlay box and the additional channel expansion box should be available in January. They will be showing both at the PRI show.

Although last PRI show I saw the MXL and it ended up not being available until April or something like that. Hopefully these CAN expansion boxes will be available earlier. Also, hopefully they have designed it so the CAN channels cascade so you can hook up multiple CAN expansion boxes....

Norm
Old 11-29-2004, 06:06 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ngoldrich
I just spoke with AIM and they say the Video overlay box and the additional channel expansion box should be available in January. They will be showing both at the PRI show.

Although last PRI show I saw the MXL and it ended up not being available until April or something like that. Hopefully these CAN expansion boxes will be available earlier. Also, hopefully they have designed it so the CAN channels cascade so you can hook up multiple CAN expansion boxes....

Norm
Did they happen to mention if these were MXL only options or if they would be availabe for the M3?
Old 11-29-2004, 06:10 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They run on the CAN expansion bus. I was not aware the M3 had a CAN bus - does it ?

Norm
Old 11-29-2004, 06:57 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ngoldrich
They run on the CAN expansion bus. I was not aware the M3 had a CAN bus - does it ?

Norm
I believe it at least the XG Log does as the feature list states that it can connect to ECUs via either CAN or RS232. Both the MXL and XG Log claim "CAN/RS232 wiring fo ECU interface". If you info is correct thats terrific, as I'd prefer a simply wheel mount installation and can just go with the M3 Log.

Quick Reply: AIM Mychron vs. Pista