Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA Runoffs T1 Race

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 09:10 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mark, looking forward to seeing the DSR race.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:46 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJR911
I further researched the t1 class and I doubt they're running motec induction, but as Geo said, the maps are probably optimzed for better gas, more timing and to match the open headers.
Actually, I'd be absolutely shocked to find out the front runners in Touring were not running the MoTeC. I know there are people in IT doing that already and the rules are the same for the ECU.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:40 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you ever drove a Z06 you will understand that they have torque from here to heaven.... very big advantage out of the turns where trick gearboxes are not allowed. Also, minor tweeks of induction exhaust well within the rules should take them up in the low-mid 400hp range... plus they are not all that heavy... maybe even lighter than the Porsche.... have huge tires and brakes right off the showroom floor.

Add in a factory level of development and driving and this is not surprise.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:49 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Mark,
Great coverage of your Runnoff exploits on Speed. You got a good chunk of air time, including the second lap pile-up footage that was the first piece in Speed's highlight reel. Nice work avoiding the mess. Congrats again!
Old 11-29-2004, 02:32 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Is there any info on the T1 GT3?
Old 11-29-2004, 03:05 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
If you ever drove a Z06 you will understand that they have torque from here to heaven.... very big advantage out of the turns where trick gearboxes are not allowed. Also, minor tweeks of induction exhaust well within the rules should take them up in the low-mid 400hp range... plus they are not all that heavy... maybe even lighter than the Porsche.... have huge tires and brakes right off the showroom floor.

Add in a factory level of development and driving and this is not surprise.
B I N G O

There's a lot of info on T-1 racing at www.sccaforum.com

Debbie Loth who use to race Vipers with Archer, started a thread a few weeks ago where she "all but said".... the Vettes are almost unbeatable in T-1.

Good to have the Porsche GT3's entering. We need more variety in sportscar racing.

T-1 starts with a basicly stock car and allows a few modifications. The Vipers were "restricted"... to equalize the horsepower a few years ago.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:34 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
Actually, I'd be absolutely shocked to find out the front runners in Touring were not running the MoTeC. I know there are people in IT doing that already and the rules are the same for the ECU.
I'd stay away from all electrical appliances for a while, George. And brush up on that GCR, too.

Touring rules aren't the same as IT, for many things...but especially for engine management.

Touring = Showroom Stock (SS), with 'trunk kits' gone wild. Up until about 3-4 years ago, manufacturers with cars in SS could request and get approval from SCCA for a number of 'mods' - suspension, engine management, etc. All that went away in '99 or '00, probably due to the Civic Si overdog in SSC (Der Professor was sometimes pedaling an SSB and SSC car when things were getting nuts with trunk kits).

Touring class cars must remain Federal/EPA emissions-compliant. That means working stock cats, that means a stock computer that can be 'altered' inside the housing, but NOT replaced with anything else. Cars must still pass a CEL (check engine light) test at impound, and must have a stock port for a scanner/code reader to read. Cars can't have a CEL on, or have thrown any codes. If you stick a probe up their little tailpipe post-race, they damn well better pass an emissions test. If you can figure out how to add a Motec that will act like a stock computer, pass a CEL test and not throw any codes, you know something that the rest of us don't.

I saw a couple of cars get tossed at impound at a National this year, just due a CEL illuminated and a failed scanner read or CEL key-on engine-off/key-on engine-on cycle test (whatever it's called).

IT rules allow for the guts of the ECU to be 'altered or replaced'. Touring only allows for alterations, which amount to a chip...or maybe diddled sensor values. Waaay big difference.

Touring classes still allow 'trunk kits' and mods, which are mostly related to suspension and brake performance and cooling. 993 and 996 Porkers get any springs and swaybars they want, the Corvettes get better brake cooling, blah
blah blah.

If you haven'd driven a ZO6 Vette, you may not want to...'cuz on the 'Yuks Per Buck' scale, they smoke every other hi-performance car on the planet.

Der Professor must provide full disclosure: In his personal Oil-und-Grease-Platz, there sits a '65 327-365hp Coupe (Nassau blue).
Old 11-30-2004, 12:03 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Mark,
Great coverage of your Runnoff exploits on Speed. You got a good chunk of air time, including the second lap pile-up footage that was the first piece in Speed's highlight reel. Nice work avoiding the mess. Congrats again!
Thanks. It was really fun to get to watch.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:20 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
IT rules allow for the guts of the ECU to be 'altered or replaced'. Touring only allows for alterations, which amount to a chip...or maybe diddled sensor values. Waaay big difference.
I would argue they are effectively the same. I'd argue the line between modify and replacement can be awfully fuzzy. But you're right, I forgot about the CEL deal with Touring.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:05 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Closet 'vette owners unite....
Old 11-30-2004, 12:07 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Geo
I would argue they are effectively the same. I'd argue the line between modify and replacement can be awfully fuzzy.
You would lose that argument. Talk to the Tech staff in Topeka or any member of the Comp Board. They have razors buzzing away for that fuzz.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:13 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
You would lose that argument. Talk to the Tech staff in Topeka or any member of the Comp Board. They have razors buzzing away for that fuzz.
That's interesting considering conversations we've had in the ITAC related to keeping the IT rules in line with T in this regard.

Do you know this from first-hand discussions/experience or are you speculating? If you have first-hand knowledge I'd like to discuss this with you privately as this could impact other conversations I've been involved with.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:47 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

To claim that the IT and T engine-management rules are 'effectively the same' is just inaccurate. They're miles apart. Even a cursory reading of both rule-sets would reveal that. If the ITAC is discussing a convergence of rule-sets, I think they need to spend some time reading both rules sets, as I'll assume from your inference that they have not. Again...a simple call to Topeka would provide some guidance - 1-800-Jeremy.

There is no 'speculation' on the issue. IT cars do not need to be emissions-compliant. Throw out the cats, ditch any portion of the emissions systems you want. Touring class cars must meet Federal/EPA standards, not just light/extinguish a CEL light. The gap between the two is huge. If the ITAC is discussing a rules-change 'related to keeping the IT rules in line with T in this regard', first they have to show how they actually are 'in line' now. If the IT world hears that the ITAC is spending its time considering sending IT down the SS/T engine management route, the uproar will quickly unseat the current ITAC players. Besides, the Comp Board won't take input from crazy people.

I'd be happy to discuss it, but the statements you've made make me think that either you or the ITAC is off on 'Planet X' on this issue. RTF GCR.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:05 PM
Geo
Race Director

Wow. How rude. You don't even know what conversations have been had. You are merely speculating. I don't know why you're being so rude, but so be it. We've had decent conversations in the past so I don't know why this one has turned ugly.

Quick Reply: SCCA Runoffs T1 Race