Sponsored by:

Nervous lady

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004 | 09:18 PM
Enviroteacher924S
Advanced

Default Nervous lady

Hey Everybody,
I just did my first 2 days at NHIS this fall and I enjoyed it a lot. I was told after my second day that I was ready to move up to the yellow run group (yeah for me). My Fiance wants me to go with him to the Zone 1 48 Hours at the Glen this summer. I am a little nervous about the size of this track and all the fast cars. Should I stay away from Watkins Glen and stick to NHIS? Thanks and have a fanTABulous day! (I like this guy)
Old 11-16-2004 | 09:40 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually, in many ways the Glen, though potentially a lot faster is a little more friendly a track than NHIS. Being so much larger, theres a lot more room for cars, more time between corners, etc. NHIS has a lot of concrete and things can get pretty tight. It's healthy to be apprehensive, but you'll still be out with an instructor, and the Glen is one of the two truly historic tracks in our region that you really just have to drive.

While NCR doesn't host a Glen event, we in NER do. Although its not a weekend event, if you came with NER there'd probably be a lot more people you know. I found the Zone event is a little different as there aren't as many familiar faces around, which is great in some ways, but if your inexperienced it might be less comfortable. Either way, going to the Glen is one of the must dos, so yeah, you just gotta do it one way or the other. And yeah you gotta do the other one too, Lime Rock.
Old 11-16-2004 | 09:53 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Jamie:
I suspect that you'll have a few more days of seat time at other tracks before next summer, so I think you'll be fine.

Many people drive the Glen as their first DE event, so you should be fine even if Zone 1 @ the Glen will be your next DE event.

That said, I think the Glen isn't the best for first time DE participants - there are many other tracks in our area that's more suited for a first timer. Such tracks like Pocono, NHIS, and Lime Rock come to mind...

Looks like you've got the DE addiction developing!

Enjoy!
-Z.
Old 11-16-2004 | 10:08 PM
Bill935K3
Racer

Hi Jamie,
I strongly urge you to go to a variety of tracks while you are a novice. It’s very possible (I’ve seen it) that a person can go to multiple events at one track and be moved up in advance of their true skills set due to knowing the one layout so well and then have a really tough time at a new place. Part of the learning experience/fun is adjusting to new terrain and instructors and adapting to them. One of my biggest goals as an instructor is that when I sign of a student to be solo in the white group, the driver should be able to go to an event at a new track on their own, studying the track map and plan a good line and be up to good speed and having fun by the end of the first session. The zone 1 is a big run group busy event. Try to get another event or two if you can but never turn down a chance to drive the “The Glen”
Have fun - look way ahead and be smooth!!
Old 11-17-2004 | 04:15 PM
tntporsche
Instructor

Hi Jaime-

Welcome to the world of DE addiction. My first driving event was at Bridgehampton in the fall during the mid-1980's. It was really tough waiting through the winter before going to another event. There will be many driving events before the Zone Glen event. I would encourage you not to wait - check out the calendars of the various regions that run DE events and sign up. While I drive mostly with NNJR and will be the track chair next year, I have run with many different regions of PCA, BMW and PBOC and have found most events to be well run, safe and loads of fun. Besides most tracks are in really great places and you and your fiance can combine tracks with mini-getaways. If you can fit Tremblant into your schedule next season, that is a track you should not miss - plan on a couple of extra days as there is plenty to do in the area surrounding the track.

If you do wait until the Zone Glen event, I'm sure you will do just fine.

Again - welcome to the world of DE.

Arlene Novack
Old 11-17-2004 | 04:28 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Yes, stay away. Skill and experience aside, it sounds like you are not ready to deal with all the fun you'd have there. It may be too much for you to handle at this impressionable phase of your driving career.
Old 11-18-2004 | 09:17 AM
Alan G.
Pro

Default you will do fine

48 Hours is a good event for newbies. There are lots of great instructers and plenty of chances to get rides. It is more of a social event than most DEs (at least for me) cause there are people from all over the eastern usa, alot of people but less track time than usual. Drive as many tracks as you can. For me NHIS was harder to learn than The Glen, but the Glen is way nicer!
Old 11-18-2004 | 02:03 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Jaime;

The only bad thing I see here is that if NHIS is extremely convenient for you, if you drive the Glen (or any other "real" track) you will not have much interest in your "Home Track" anymore! Rovals are not real tracks. Yes, it beats not driving I suppose, but given the chance the choice would always be a real road course.

Absolute Pish & Tosh to any perceived down side to you going to ANY event at the Glen, or any other track, any time you want. There is an electricity and vibrance to the 48 Hours that you will not find at any other event. It is not the king of track time (merely average), but the social aspects are contageous, the instructor corps is the best in PCA, and the event as a whole is unlike any other in the country. That's why people from all over said country aspire to participate in it. My first PCA event was 48 Hours 1990, and I haven't yet, and will not, miss one!

If you want to know what the meaning behind this dude is then you should do the Glen. Then again, JC might be right; PCA already has more Terminal Smilie Face sufferers than any group I know. You might not be able to stand it!
Old 11-18-2004 | 05:19 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

RL... I might add humbug, tripe and balderdash...the Glen is the most fun you can have with your face completely covered

Quick Reply: Nervous lady