Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I misunderstood the price.

Brian
Old 11-16-2004, 03:43 PM
Al P.
Pro

Having seen several cars that contacted the styrofoam at the Glen I have to say, they may be softer than concrete but they are definately not friendly.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:56 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I found this showing a car that hit the foam and said $150 for each foam: http://racingknowledge.org/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2647

I guess it would have been really ugly w/o the foam.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:36 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim,
$150 a piece for the Glen's foam blocks is the number I remember too. Kinda spendy souveniers. Don't underestimate the impact damage that a foam block will do. Far better than a direct hit on a concrete wall, but the energy has to go somewhere!

I watched the BMW club running Shenandoah over our last SP race weekend. They were mainly streeters - M3s, M5s and a few cabs, so not running extreme pace. In fact, it looked as if they were takign it gently, which makes sense. The clips give a real sense of just how busy the track is. Not much room for error at all. I'll reserve any comment until I drive it, but it looks like a 'hard work' track rather than a 'run & fun' track like VIR.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:18 PM
spyderman
Instructor

hey,

awesome video, I didnt know anyone had the video camera there last weekend. I was there driving also, and had a great time. it is a very technical course, with a lot of tight turns. if you are a point and shoot driver, or one who can't drive fast but you drive a fast car, then this is not the track for you. One funny thing about the launching out of the carousel video, the car that passed him on the inside was one of the guys i was there with that weekend.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:27 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to agree with DJF1, this seems a poor design for any track constructed in 2004. I don't see the designer's incorporation of the "state of the art" safety features of 21st century performance driving.

Yes, driven in a lower HP car, at managible speeds, this course would appear to offer a good learning device for on-track car control. I'll very likely try it next year in a 968; I just can't tell how much sliding of the car one can safely attempt here.

Who knows, after actually driving on Shennandoah, my opinion may change totally.

I'll await with interest all future reports on this new track from our fellow Rennlisters.

Richard
Old 11-16-2004, 08:39 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Question, where are you supposed to pass someone on the track? I only saw very few spots suitable for brake or speed passing someone.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:14 PM
spyderman
Instructor

yea, this track is really technical. there are a few spots to pass, like the back strait, the up hill before the carousel, and the strait before the blind apex uphill/downhill. You couldnt really see all the actual elevation changes in the video, but they are there. this is an extreamly fun track to run, even with a high horse power car. A friend who i was running with in an under 2000 lb 911 with a 400 hp 3.8RSR motor in it was having a blast, and had no problems on this track. On friday night I got to hear the owner of the track talk about the track which was really cool. this track is a drivers track for fast drivers, not fast cars being inched around the corners, and opened up on the straitaways. have fun
Old 11-17-2004, 03:15 AM
964_C2
Advanced

Originally Posted by spyderman
............. this track is a drivers track for fast drivers, not fast cars being inched around the corners, and opened up on the straitaways.

This is a track appears to be designed by an owner of a bodyshop.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:40 PM
spyderman
Instructor

umm..... yea,
I can't see how you would have gotten that from what I wrote. Where in the video did you see any body damage? where on the track did you see anywhere there would be body damage? What kind of body damage did you expirence while you were there? I ran there last weekend, and had no body damage on my car at all, and I am not that much of an expirenced driver. Ive seen a lot more body damage every time I have gone to the glen.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:51 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Spydie,

I'm interested in the owner's description of the design and building of Summit Point's newest track.

There's no question but that I'm driving Shennadoah in '05. It's hard to tell from the video if there's run-off room where needed, gravel pits, etc.

As for Watkins, it's big and fast, but if you go off there's not much room and a lot of Armco (and now those foam blocks). At Metro's August event there were 6 wrecks. Still, I love driving there.

Ciao.

Richard
Old 11-18-2004, 10:09 AM
JoelG
Advanced

Originally Posted by richard glickel
I'm interested in the owner's description of the design and building of Summit Point's newest track.
I wish I could remember what Mr. Scott said exactly, but the essence of it was he wanted to build a track that rewarded driving talent more than HP. IMO he succeeded admirably.

Yes, it would be nice if there was more runoff, but he squeezed as much as he could into the property he had. He has purchased another plot of land and will be moving the wall back at T13 (I think -- I'm still kinda foggy on turn numbers there). I suspect as the track gets used the rest of the adjcent property owners will bail out too, which should help some. Eventually he will be up against 2 public roads, which means no more expansion of the property.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:18 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoelG
Eventually he will be up against 2 public roads, which means no more expansion of the property.
Then let's use the roads. Give it more of a European flavor.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-18-2004, 10:30 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Then let's use the roads. Give it more of a European flavor.
Sounds like a plan! The French have LeMans, we'll have LeShanandoah!

IIRC SCCA or NASA already runs a "12 Hours at the Point" enduro...

Shenandoah's sounding better and better every day!
-Z-man.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:24 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a map of the improvements done over the last few months. I have not driven it since these changes have been made, but drove twice over the winter. I enjoyed driving it, but think these improvements, will be .....improvements, especially taking out that set of "S's".

http://www.emraracing.org/image/Shenandoah_track.jpg

Quick Reply: Shenandoah Video!!!!!!!!!!!