Sponsored by:

karting

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 11:22 AM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default karting

I am interested in doing some karting to improve "seat" time and my driving skills. Any ideas or comments would be great such as forums, what to buy, etc.

Thanks, Mike
Old 11-13-2004, 11:30 AM
David K.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best track in USA Moran Raceway

http://www.moranraceway.com
Old 11-13-2004, 03:06 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Mike,
Whereabouts do you live?
I'm in MA and there are several tracks:
www.f1boston.com (indoors)
www.f1outdoors.com (very nice outdoor track)
www.ovrp.com (outdoor track, with shop and school).

My 11 year old son does indoor and outdoor karting (currently owns an 80cc CRG Cadet); I've done a few as a 'ringer' for Corporate Challenges and done some enduros with the local Porsche Club. It's a lot of fun, but it will tire you out!
Old 11-13-2004, 05:17 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm in Cincinnati and there is a track about 1 hour away at Camden. I'm sure there are others. Any idea on shifter vs clutch or generally what brand kart to buy?

Thanks, MIke
Old 11-13-2004, 06:01 PM
David K.
Pro

Do not start in a shifter kart.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:14 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by mikew968
I'm in Cincinnati and there is a track about 1 hour away at Camden. I'm sure there are others. Any idea on shifter vs clutch or generally what brand kart to buy?
According to a bunch of folks I used to race with, Camden is a great track (I've never personally raced there). But you're in a good area.

Absolutely do not start out in a shifter kart. It would be like starting your racing career in an F1 car.

I'm not sure about forums, but here's a good web site to start with:

http://www.ekartingnews.com/

I've been out of karting for almost 10 years now, but from everything I have heard, the Rotax class is the way to go. It's a spec class with an engine that makes nearly 30 hp and only needs rebuilding about every 2 seasons. But check with the club at Camden and find out what they are running. It's more important to find a popular class. This will mean a lot of competition and probably a lot of quality used equipment out there.

Speaking of used equipment, if you are just getting into karting, I highly recommend to buy used (1-3 years old). Quality used equipment will be better than the driver will be for a while and it will probably take a year to really be able to fully take advantage of new equipment.

Karting is a great way to learn to race. I highly recommend it.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:00 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree, Rotax is a good choice.

I have seen people start 2 ways:
1. 125 Rotax non shifter, watercooled (with or without power valve on engine....just bolts on). Say $5K for a new kart....then add padded seat, AIM MyChron data acq.....you get the idea.
http://www.bergfeltracing.com/crgracingkarts.html

2. Rotax 2 speed water cooled (paddle shifter) RM-1. About $9K out the door.
http://www.rm1-kart.com/index.html
(My son's 80cc CRG Cadet was $3500 with padded seat and data acquisition...you can download your session as a track map to your PC and analyzer everything).

Rotax is normally a sealed engine class, do you don't have to get into blueprinting engines, etc.

I suppose you could start here:
http://www.worldkarting.com/
and see what's in your area for tracks, series, rules, etc.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:53 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

There's a lot of good karting in Indy....As was mentioned above, check out ekartingews.com. It's the Rennlist of karting.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:11 PM
David K.
Pro

You can just start out doing arrive and drive schools.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:06 AM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

My brother-in-law races on a track just north of Circleville, Ohio on SR 23 (about 2 hours from Cincy). There's usually a lot of acrtivity there on any given weekend in the summer months. There's always someone with karts/trailers for sale. I also remember an indoor track with electric karts on Red Bank Road in Cincy a few years back - I don't know if it's still there. It was an arrive and drive set-up. If your interested in more information on Circleville - send me a PM and I'll speak with my brother-in-law.

Chip
Old 11-14-2004, 10:46 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chip,

I live in Lexington, and would love more information on the Circleville track if it's not too much trouble. I've been meaning to get my son up to Camden. He turns 7 y.o. tomorrow, and has been expressing in interest in getting a "baby race car".

Addendum: Found a good primer on Cincy karting
Old 11-14-2004, 10:56 AM
Geo
Race Director

You can't really learn that much with an "arrive and drive" kart. Other things to be learned are working your set-up and preparation. They are also a large part of racing and karting can teach you a lot about it.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:13 PM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chipster
My brother-in-law races on a track just north of Circleville, Ohio on SR 23 (about 2 hours from Cincy). There's usually a lot of acrtivity there on any given weekend in the summer months. There's always someone with karts/trailers for sale. I also remember an indoor track with electric karts on Red Bank Road in Cincy a few years back - I don't know if it's still there. It was an arrive and drive set-up. If your interested in more information on Circleville - send me a PM and I'll speak with my brother-in-law.

Chip
Hey Chip, long time no see. The electric carting place near Swallens on Red Bank is now gone I guess I will just have to run into you at some autox course next year again.

- TJ
Old 11-15-2004, 04:25 PM
LanceK
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW I think racing a kart is a lot more fun than my Porsche.

There is NOTHING like racing wheel to wheel. Also you get a lot more track time when karting.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:23 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Mike,
You might give Norm Goldrich a call. He's right there in Cincinnati and has, in the past, used carts a lot for training. Great guy and I'm sure he would be more than pleased to share his knowledge.
Dave

Quick Reply: karting