Sponsored by:

Laguna Seca's sound meter and after market exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 09:01 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laguna Seca's sound meter and after market exhausts

I wondered if any of you gentlemen have had experience with the dreaded metermaid after turn 5 as a result of swapping to aftermarket exhausts?

I have been thinking if it would be a good thing to loose the weight, and gain the power of an after market system, but the thing that has kept me from doing so is the dreaded sound meter.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:22 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you thinking of open headers or a street legal exhaust?

The limit is usually 92 db, which I'm told is the legal limit in CA on the street. On occasion they have 90 db days (which make no sense, but they make the rules). I don't know of any GT3 drivers in the local PCA or other groups I drive with that have modified exhaust systems (all I know of are still stock).

FWIW, my car has the secondary muffler removed which makes it louder, but I'm a consistent 89 db. From the GGR timetrial earlier this year (sound level is posted on the website) a stock 993 was 86 db and a stock Boxster S was 86 db. The other 964, which I believe is also missing the secondary muffler) was 89 db too. I believe every 3 db represens 2x the volume, so I have plenty of room to go.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:43 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

It was more of an open question. The car is already fast enough for me, so the extra power is not really going to change my life, but maybe a freer breathing system that looses a bunch of weight at the back might be nice for balance and power. (weight loss over the rear axel is the thing that I'm most interested in.)

I just wondered if it was possible to have all the plus's of a noisy exhaust without the noise!
Old 11-12-2004, 10:18 PM
nman413
Drifting

I have to lift with my muffler bypasses. So I just putter around there

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca's sound meter and after market exhausts