ANY CAROLINA CLUB RACE REPORTS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Default ANY CAROLINA CLUB RACE REPORTS?

Sorry to have missed the CMP Club race last weekend. Any reports on how the event turned out?

Thanks!
Walczak

Last edited by Dbltime; 11-08-2004 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:17 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The weather was perfect and Bill Martin took his first race win in his first race! ....D class
Old 11-08-2004, 04:32 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

That is pretty impressive. 964Cup car? I thought I saw Mike Piera on the D class entry list. Piera gets by the 964 cups on the tighter tracks.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:39 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Bill, jonesing to get back into club racing?

I am thinking about it more & more now that I got my license renewed.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello Larry, Try Roebilng in early December. Low key fun event. Then Sebring, high strung fun event.

Now that I see my car getting healthy I am getting the itch. May make Roebling but probably a long shot.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:02 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only one problemo, no car to race. Not going to cut up the GT3 yet, and not going to sell it to buy a race car. Maybe after next year.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:35 PM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Bill,
CMP was fantastic-absolutely perfect weather all weekend(sunny in the70's). In the red group cory friedman and rick deman were dicing pretty good all weekend, paul orwicz was at the top of GTC3. Lawson wilder and I had a great time chasing eachother all weekend in GTC2. In the sprint race 4 or 5 cars got collected on the start; not sure what happened, I was on the outside of turn 1 and all i saw was cars spinning and hitting eachother which forced me way out into the grass. We restarted single file and everyone raced clean from there on out. Despite losing the tires from overdriving the car and falling back a bunch of spots I had a blast.

I don't have any info to speak of on the other groups or on the enduros. One interesting tidbit, the scruts pulled a bunch of the e and f turbos, then ran them up and down the straights checking boost levels, and a lot of cars had boost levels that were too high. From what I hear it is easy to get boost pressures above stock when running the car at speed rather than a static test, even without tampering with the car.

Look forward to seeing you at Roebling-

Last edited by Stuttgart; 11-08-2004 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:23 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuttgart
I don't have any info to speak of on the other groups or on the enduros. One interesting tidbit, the scruts pulled a bunch of the e and f turbos, then ran them up and down the straights checking boost levels, and a lot of cars had boost levels that were too high. From what I hear it is easy to get boost pressures above stock when running the car at speed rather than a static test, even without tampering with the car.
My brief experience with this was through a friend that was DQ'd and 13'd at Sebring in his 944TS and then a month or so later the 13'd was rescinded. They test a couple 944T's at Putnam this summer and his boost was too high again as well as others (even higher). They then, rightly, threw out the results since it was apparently with the same gauge (or type) as they used at Sebring and the scruit apologized. I think you are right that the testing procedure can produce some artificially high numbers.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:15 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was my first race and I don't think it could have been much better. The weather was perfect. I was fortunate to win D class sprint and enduro. Mike P. had an engine problem in the Friday fun race and unfortunately could not run in the weekend races. I ran in the yellow group for the sprint which included some very fast GT4R and GT3R cars. Ronnie Randall won the overall yellow sprint with his super powerful 2.1 liter TT ( @500 hp) GT4R green 911 . I ran in the white enduro group which included all the GT1R and GTC3 cars. Cory and Leh won the overall in that race with their Grand-am prepared 2000 GT3 Cup. My best time for the weekend was a 1:46.574 which took D pole in the enduro qualifying.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:30 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carreracup21
This was my first race and I don't think it could have been much better. The weather was perfect. I was fortunate to win D class sprint and enduro. Mike P. had an engine problem in the Friday fun race and unfortunately could not run in the weekend races. I ran in the yellow group for the sprint which included some very fast GT4R and GT3R cars. Ronnie Randall won the overall yellow sprint with his super powerful 2.1 liter TT ( @500 hp) GT4R green 911 . I ran in the white enduro group which included all the GT1R and GTC3 cars. Cory and Leh won the overall in that race with their Grand-am prepared 2000 GT3 Cup. My best time for the weekend was a 1:46.574 which took D pole in the enduro qualifying.
That is a very fast time. 2003 with my C car my fastest lap was 1:47:6 and I was 1 car length behind the first place C car. We were both DQ'd but thats another story.

2003 Summit Point I raced in C and had 2 or 3 D 964 Cups finish ahead of me with one finishing ahead of a well driven 993 cup!

Very exciting first race for you! Let me guess... this was your first time at CMP right?

Congrats on your win. They give nice trophy's as I recall (I have one ;>)
Old 11-08-2004, 07:37 PM
Tim
Racer

It was a great weekend!! my friend Bill Rudtner missed red group qualifying because of a failed turbo. We located a turbo in Atlanta (Bob Sanderson of Performance Imports helped there), and had it overnighted to CMP. The existing turbo was a garret and so was the replacement, however the hot side of the replacement had the wrong flange, and the cold side inlet was smaller than the turbo on the car.

So we took both turbos apart, took pieces from each, and cobbled together something that would make boost.

Bill started from the back of the pack in red. When the checkered flag droppped 35 minutes later he was 3rd overall!! Rick took first overall, and GT1R first. Bill took 3rd overall, and second in GT1R. Impressive since it was his first race in 4 years, and our first time at CMP
Old 11-08-2004, 07:47 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bill walczak
That is a very fast time. 2003 with my C car my fastest lap was 1:47:6 and I was 1 car length behind the first place C car. We were both DQ'd but thats another story.

2003 Summit Point I raced in C and had 2 or 3 D 964 Cups finish ahead of me with one finishing ahead of a well driven 993 cup!

Very exciting first race for you! Let me guess... this was your first time at CMP right?

Congrats on your win. They give nice trophy's as I recall (I have one ;>)
That was really a perfect lap. A fast GT3R had just passed me and I was able to draft him and have him pace me around the whole track. I had done a 1:47.5 ? in the sprint qualifying the day before, but 1:46 was really over the top.

I live about 2 hours away from CMP so I had about 8 DE days at the track. I am pretty familiar with it.

Yes, the little trophies were nice. I really did not expect to get anything so it was a surprise.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:43 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Nice job, Bill! Check your PM.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:08 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Mark. Right back at you - check your PM
Old 11-08-2004, 10:55 PM
Tim
Racer

LOL apparently, improving position from DEAD LAST to THIRD dont count for doo doo..

pass 23+ cars in 35 mins....

Bill drives a '79 930 that we built to a GT1 car

There were only two car in front of us.. Rick Deman, and a 2004 GT car driver asleep at the wheel?

We drove from last to within 1:01 in 35 minutes!!!

Quick Reply: ANY CAROLINA CLUB RACE REPORTS?