Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Las vegas performance driving schools ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 12:27 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chuck, now that you know where Laguna Seca is, you should bring out the Bugeye for the Monterey Historics. I doubt any future runnings can match up to this year, but if they're anywhere close, you're in for a treat of a lifetime.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:43 AM
mds
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

prg, I've done both Skip Barber at Laguna Seca and Russell at Infineon. Both are worth doing. With your experience, I suggest you consider the advanced classes offered at both schools. Instructors at Skip Barber tend to vary more in quality, if you can get Randy as your chief instructor that would be great. Mark, the chief instructor at Russell, is superb. Both offer arrive and drive racing, which I also recommend highly.

Here is a well driven lap at Laguna Seca in the Skip Barber advanced class car. Lap time is about 1:40. For comparison purposes my best lap there in my street GT3 is 1:42.

The Russell car is faster, it is basically a Formula Mazda a bit down on power running on hard compound slicks. There was a good lap in the car on the Russell web site, but I can't find it now. I believe lap times are around 1:40 which is roughly equivalent to a reasonably well driven GT3 Cup car. A true FM would be around 1:36. Of course the FM Pro car is way faster.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:17 AM
nman413
Drifting

If I have 16 DE days so far, what would be a good class to do?
Old 11-11-2004, 12:58 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Derek daley 3 day formula program sounds good, however,what may be even better is the corvette ZO6 3-day at Vegas (in winter) followed by the 2-day advanced high performance and lapping at mid-ohio in my own car(next spring). The price for the DD is the same as the two programs combined, i'll get more track time, and get to drive my own car at my home track. So, I am leaning more towards the two school strategy, what do you guy's think?
Old 11-11-2004, 01:15 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Hey Jeeva, you will LUV coming over to the DARK SIDE !!!

I think your on the right path. Do the three day Z06 school outside of Los Wages, then drive your own car at the two day D E Event. This gives you the best of both Worlds!

Ahh... I bet you will LUV the torque from that LS-6 V-8 !!! The General made a big improvement on the 04's, both in handling & they added a few extra ponies! Have Fun !

Last edited by trumperZ06; 11-11-2004 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:31 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Hard to argue with substantially more seat time...
Old 11-11-2004, 09:56 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Don't go to DD if you are serious about data analysis. When I last checked (about 4 months ago), they only had long g's. No lat g's? Unbelievable! But, it is still supposed to be an excellent school but the cars are old. They are supposed to be planning new cars with complete data acq. When this happens, I'm there.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:12 AM
Bill935K3
Racer

I enjoyed and got a lot out of Derick Daley. Did the four day all around race school, M-3's for performance oval, skid pad and reaction lights and then formula cars and data aquisition, and the went back a couple of years later for two days. One of lapping and one 'test day". Very very good instructors and system of teaching.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:59 AM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Trumper, if you mean the darkside of tracking, I am neck deep in it, however if you mean the high torque/hp Z06 over my rear-heavy beauty, NEVER .2-Day Mid-ohio school that I am talking about is not a DE, it is an advanced performance driving instruction that I can do on my own car, isn't that cool.

C.C, hard to believe that they don't look at lateral G's, so data analysis at DD is less of a plus for me now.

As most others have said, DD probably is still a better school, but the 2 school strategy with more seat time, plus driving my car on my track appeals to me.

Thanks a lot with all your help guy's

Last edited by Sanjeevan; 11-12-2004 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:39 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do you think you could convince the family to hang out in Nappa Valley? If so you could also consider Russell Racing School -- http://www.espnrussellracing.com I've never been there, but I hear it's pretty good. You could also take some time to visit The Racer's Group shop.

My $0.002
Old 11-12-2004, 07:09 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Torque to a track rat is like crack is to a drug addit! Very enticing....

Driving those Z06'sss will lead you into temptation!!! Have FUN !
Old 11-13-2004, 12:12 PM
prg
Pro

re Daly school.
You are correct about the lack of a lateral G sensor ( and a steering wheel position sensor.) Despite this horrifying deficit, I managed to learn a heck of a lot and had a terrific time.

If you did choose to go to DD, I'd stick with the formula car school and skip the Z3's. After you spend 3 days in the formula car on radials( if they think you're up to it), they'll put you on slicks instead of radials for an extra $200 a day (brand new sticker slicks await you every AM, not used up 10 heat cycle slicks.)

I'd offer a different perspective than trumper. No doubt torque is great, but for me the most thrilling aspect of tracking a car (other than competition) is controlling corner entry and sliding a car with tremendous grip around a corner. No doubt the Z06 will out accellerate a bastardized formula continental school car, but it won't match the lateral G's (1.5+) of a slick shod, winged formula car sitting a couple inches off the ground. Pick your poison, I'm more of a lateral G addict than a longitudinal G addict.

P.S. CC They'll teach you how to be a trail braking master by the end of 3 days. Appropriate trail braking is one of the points they really hammer home.

Last edited by prg; 11-13-2004 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Las vegas performance driving schools ?