Sponsored by:

Cage & Safety suppliers in LA or SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 12:31 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cage & Safety suppliers in LA or SoCal

I've decided to dedicate my GT3 to the track. I have a tiny garage and no yard, so I can't house a trailer, or a tractor unit to drag a race car to and from the track. I need the GT3 to be a self propelled track day car, and I want it to be as safe as possible in it's new dedicated mission.

I have already ordered a full HANS kit, what I now want is the best 5 or 6 point harness, and a very strong cage, and seats that are HANS compatible without the big wings that the current Reccaro HANS chair has, as I fear these will be limiting to peripheral vision on the road getting to and from the track.

Can anyone suggest either the right combo of parts, or a one stop shop who could do all this for me in the LA/SoCal area?

Thanks so much.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:03 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't help with the cage, but I can offer some comments about belts and HANS.

First, with a HANS, you need to pay special attention to the spacing of the shoulder belts. If they are too widely spaced, they will have a tendency to slip off. The belts need to be mounted pretty close together (I suggest no more than a 5-6" center-to-center) if they mount reasonable close to your shoulders. There is actually a spec from HANS based on how far back they are mounted. Make sure the seat does not spread the belts.

There is a special HANS belt setup with narrower shoulder straps - supposed to help keep the belts on and align the forces with the HANS. HOWEVER, you should never use this without the HANS - likely a good reason not to use it in a street car should you ever want to let someone else drive it on the track, or want to use the harness without the HANS.

I strongly suggest the 6 point style of belt (or even 7 point) where the sub straps go under your legs and thread through the lap belt - connecting into the shoulder straps. It is like a parachute harness and the experts say this is far safer than the older style.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:16 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

You are making a difficult compromise. I second Sunday driver. The specail hans belts are stroth belts. Also pelican parts is on the west side. You can forget the full containment seat and use removeable left and right nascar type nets for very good containment. Make sure your bolt in rollcage has a knee bar to attach the front of the side nets to.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:44 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Vision Motorsports
Old 11-01-2004, 01:58 PM
mdbickell
Instructor

Werks II in Burbank should be able to help you. I've bought my safety equip through them w/ the exception of my roll bar.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:43 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M758
Vision Motorsports
Ditto.

Vision Motorsports Inc.
22681 Granite Way
Laguna Hills, CA 92653
(949)770-2888