Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ways to take extra wheels to the track on a C4S.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 11:34 AM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ways to take extra wheels to the track on a C4S.

I am curious to know, when it's time, how I can take an extra set of wheels to the track.

I am planning to purchase 18' winter tires and wheels, and use the rims for R-compounds for track days in summer. I will be driving my C4S to the track and really don't want to do it on a DOT tire. I don't want to trailer a tire rack either, I understand roof racks cannot handle the weight.

However, is it possible to put the front two tires in the back seat, and may be the rear's on the roof rack. If so, any recommendations on a roof rack system. Or, any other ingenious ways of doing it short of putting a hitch on my porsche.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:47 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Jeeva,

I use MPSCs and swap them at home and drive to the track. There are many folks that do this and it is only a little hairy if it rains hard on the trip.

Good LUck,

-Skip
Old 10-27-2004, 11:55 AM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Skip, thanks for the quick reply.

I hear that DOT's are terrible in rain on the track too, four of my DE's this year had some rain, so I am hoping to have a set of street tires on the track as well.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:14 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Consider the brake dust before thinking of placing in the cab. My 1st error, hard to get clean enough at the track. There is a 911 guy in Ohio that pulls a little toter with ease.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:24 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Dirty wheels inside a nice car....... I think it would be too much weight for a roof rack.

Get a small trailer. There are foldable ones out ther that would do the job easily. They are also so small, that you might not have to pay license fees (at least in FL if I understand the law carrectly) but only a minor tag fee.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:56 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's a couple pics of my Boxster with a utility trailer.

If you were closer I'd offer it to you as I trailer my Boxster to the track now.

BTW, the hitch attaches to the rear tow hook and bumperette braces and is easily removable when not in use.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:27 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Dunlop's have more tread than most DOT R compounds. ALso the BFG G-Force KD's are a great street tire with almost as much grip as an R compound.

Best solution is to find a local or semi-local friend that has a trailer and is willing to take them for you.

Outside of that it is either a tire trailer or you could remove the passenger seat and stack up two or three tires for the trip. The later is not a smart choice IMO.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:49 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for all the replies, I think I may have to consider either a DOT with good tread wear so I can drive it to the track, or buy a street tire with more grip.
Greg, is there any tracks in Ky that is within 5hrs. drive from Dayton. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:12 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeva

Edit: Misread your question, sorry.

No tracks in KY unless you like getting your car dirty.

There were rumors that the Kentucky Speedway was going to do an infield road course but nothing has happened yet.

Last edited by Greg Fishman; 10-27-2004 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:24 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeva
Thanks for all the replies, I think I may have to consider either a DOT with good tread wear so I can drive it to the track, or buy a street tire with more grip.
Although you don't seem to want to tow a trailer, the nice thing about carrying an extra set of tires to the track is that you don't ruin a complete weekend by getting a flat. I used to drive my Yoko A032R's to the track until a couple of years ago when a peice of angle iron fell off a truck in front of me while I was on my way to Watkins Glen. I was just able to miss it with the tire (although it tore off one of my brake ducts). I now tow a small tire trailer and remove my hitch when it's not in use. I think Jack Olsen uses a roof rack to carry his wheels.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ight=roof+rack

Just a thought.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:38 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Between passenger and rear seats, you can put all 4 in the car. Just bring a roll of jumbo trash bags to put each tire/rim in and you won't get anything dirty but your hands.

Sam
Old 10-27-2004, 02:50 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sam Lin
Between passenger and rear seats, you can put all 4 in the car. Just bring a roll of jumbo trash bags to put each tire/rim in and you won't get anything dirty but your hands.

Sam
Sam, Have you done it, and mine are 18's...it's a C4S.

sjanes, I like Jack Olsen's cotraption, I don't know whether I trust my mechanical skills to custom tweek a roof rack and expect it to stand hwy speeds.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:00 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

My Thule rack is rated for 140 pounds, and I think I'm right at the limit or a little above. It hasn't had any problems. If you want to play it safe, put one front wheel (in a plastic bag) inside the car.

The nice thing about the rack is that (in California, at least) you're not subject to the lower speed limit for cars with trailers.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:07 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

My only customization of the rack was to get a rigid steel piece to hold the two stock crossmembers a set distance apart from each other (otherwise the weight of the wheels will push them out).

I'd bet Thule makes something to do this, or you could get one of their big flat baskets and set the wheels on their sides inside of that.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:03 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Lin

Sam

Easy in a 944.

Quick Reply: Ways to take extra wheels to the track on a C4S.