Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front tie down

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004 | 06:22 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Anyone have a pic of these factory front tie down points? I thik Eric's idea is a winner, but the factory brackets have been removed from my car. I need to fab up something like this. Its a simpler idea than mine, and just as effective. THanx Eric!
Old 10-19-2004 | 10:45 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tony -

Look on the underside of the frame rails just in front of the sway bar mount holes. You'll see two-per-side holes that will accept - I think - a 12mm bolt. Picture a piece of angle iron with a hole in the vertical side bolted there, and you've got the idea. This exceedingly quick and crude drawing will also help you spot one when you see it for real.

And... OY VAY, HEAVENS NO I would NEVER use the towing eye bolt for tying down a car on a trailer. If you looked at how they are mounted in the bumper beam, and the beam construction itself, you would certainly see that they are not made for any load than one directly longitudinal!!! Nothing like the eye bolt or its receiver mounting is ever intended for side loads, and only pulling straight ahead does nothing to keep the car from hopping sideways.
Old 10-19-2004 | 11:05 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Thanx John - they were the very holes I had my eye on. Your solution is better than the one I had in mind. Nice drawing too! THanx again.
Old 10-20-2004 | 09:29 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Hey Tony,
I'm guessing some of the dismantlers (like George B.) will sell you the factory pieces for cheap as there is little demand for them and they are easy to remove.

Fabbing an extension off of these out of plate steel (like mine) should be easy.
Old 10-20-2004 | 12:13 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Good idea Jerome. Will call George, who has been an outstanding resource this season. He has the knack of finding almost anything I need - calipers, header panel [painted the right color!], and more.
944Ecology rocks.

Quick Reply: Front tie down