Sponsored by:

Race Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 06:25 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Race Start

I just got these photos of the start. This is the first 2 corners of the first lap.

Old 10-13-2004, 06:46 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Mark, nice pictures and excellent work up at MO. Very well done indeed.
Sincerely,
Old 10-13-2004, 06:53 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a real party in turn 2! Like the rear brake lockup, Mark. Must have been very interesting from your seat!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-13-2004, 06:59 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Could be me but, with all these mayhem I don't see any flags just stunned corner workers....
Old 10-13-2004, 07:16 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

From my perspective, I could not see this start. Somewhere between the second and third shot it became visible. At that point I jumped on the brakes as there was no open space. Then a hole opened as the cars moved off to the right and I got through.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:17 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Could be me but, with all these mayhem I don't see any flags just stunned corner workers....

Yes, it is just you, Juan. I can assure you that the workers were far from stunned. These are the best in the country and what you see in the photo is not a flag station. T7 station is at the far left of the first photo and the T8 station would be roughly next to the photographer, not that anyone was watching flags at that point - we were too busy dodging cars.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:23 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Must have been very interesting from your seat!
Doh! I saw it all on your video! I must be suffering from CRS (can't remember sh*t).
Old 10-13-2004, 07:26 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 13 Posts

Too much rear brake bias, Mark. Jeez...ain't you got a **** for that ?

Flaggers - AFAIK, the 3 folks in white in the foreground are the 'safety team' for T7, flag station is upstream on driver's right, before the entrance to T7. The next flag station is just at the top of Mt. Saint Helens (always smokey there), on driver's left. If you've never seen the DSR's run, or aren't familiar with the track, this sequence was shot VERY quickly. I'll bet 'start to finish' was 3-5 seconds.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:06 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Bias ****? I thought that was the trail braking adjuster.

Meant to tell you a funny thing about that ****. It works backwards comparted to the SRF. First few times out, I had too much rear bias and could not fix it. Every time I adjusted it, it just got worse and worse. Finally figured out why. Doh. Turns out I am not the only one to do that. Another former SRF current Stohr owner did the same thing. I guess you just can't train SRF pilots.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:06 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
It works backwards comparted to the SRF. First few times out, I had too much rear bias and could not fix it. Every time I adjusted it, it just got worse and worse.
Get a black Sharpie. Use it to draw arrows on the bulkhead immediately adjacent to the bias ****, with the 'Front' direction labeled 'F' and the 'Rear' direction labeled 'R'. That's what I do.

I had one of those 'life changing' experiences with a brake bias adjusters, at Nelson Ledgistan, waaaay back with my old Bilstein Cup Rabbit. Couldn't reach it, Mad Mike reached in and cranked a few turns on it and said "You're good to go".

Next lap I set the "Backwards in a VW" Land Speed Record at the left-hander off the back straight. Should have rolled the car, but managed to miss all the walls and culverts. After that, I made sure that I ALWAYS know which way I was adjusting stuff while on track.

The "Red Sled" now has a hyd. prop valve for the rears, even though the old Balance Bar **** is still mounted on the dash. The **** now has a label that points one way and says "THIS WAY", and the opposite arrow labeled "THE OTHER WAY". It certainly confuses my competition when they look inside the car.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:44 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks Sunday, never driven that track. You got lucky a hole opened up!
Old 10-14-2004, 03:36 AM
Flat Top
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there truth is the saying that when a car spins in front of you drive to where the car is NOW - by the time you get there the car will be gone?
Old 10-14-2004, 10:03 AM
Jase007
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there truth is the saying that when a car spins in front of you drive to where the car is NOW - by the time you get there the car will be gone?
Exactly, unless you are spinning in the same fluid he is ... e.g. oil, antifreeze / water from the water-pumpers, gravel, kitty litter, etc... Hard to see THAT is what made him / her spin and what you'll soon be in.

Jason
Old 10-14-2004, 11:19 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Flat Top
That's an old motorcycle race adage, that's not always true with cars. Nobody 'spins' a bike, it only starts as a 'high-side' and then just gets ugly. They're very predictable once they're on their sides...they just go in a straight line until they hit something. In the bike racing world, you "aim right for them, 'cuz when you get there...they'll be gone".

Cars are different, as they tend to stay upright. 4 big rubber erasers tend to slow them fast, as long as they're locked down. Problems arise when they're not locked, which will cause the car to shoot off at very unpredictable angles as the tires start to roll during a spin.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:34 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mark, Do the runoffs use the back straight as a start finish? Why? The regular T1 is a much more accomodating piece of track for a start it seems to me. Also do they erect a temporary start/finish tower? I know MO pretty well but had to stare at the photo for a while to figure out what I was seeing when you said T1/2...
Brandon

Quick Reply: Race Start