Sponsored by:

g-Force

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 04:45 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Default g-Force

I've just come by a set of BFG g-Force tires that I'll be using up for the remainder of the season, .... 225's & 255x17's on a 2900 car .... ideas on cold and hot pressures for these things?
Old 10-11-2004, 05:11 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Are these the R compounds? If so I would throw them away immediately. They are worth less than what you paid for them. (assuming they were free). I could go on if you don't believe me.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:57 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

sorry, ... they are R compound tires.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:20 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Maybe I'm stumbling on a private joke between two guys -- but I'm a big fan of those tires.

They aren't r-compounds, of course. They are probably the best dry non-r-compound tire (wear rating: 140) on the market, though.

On the track, I run them at 29/31 on a 2400 pound car with 255s in front and 315s in back. For a 2900 pound car with narrower tires, my guess would be 34/36, hot -- maybe a pound or two lower. I think you'll find they get pretty greasy over 36 hot.

Unlike a lot of street tires, they have a fairly narrow window in a particular session where they're at their best. They take longer to warm up than regular track tires, maybe 2 or 3 laps at a 2-mile track, and then have only about 2 good laps in them before the grip starts to go away. In my experience, my best times are usually in the first or second lapping session of a four-session day.

I ran these tires in the touring division of the 2004 Open Track Challenge, where all the competitors were limited to street tires. I think the G-forces were the best choice of all the street tires available. We ran one set for five events. If they'd been shaved, we would have done even better. But we were limited by our budget to only one set for the week.

I've run the same tires for another five events, since then, and they're still holding up. They're not as sticky as they were that first week, but the bang for the buck is pretty great.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:46 PM
mistressmotorsports
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are (were?) R compound G Force tires as well, so it makes a difference. In 2000, we ran them in World Challenge as the spec tire in GT class. They were crappy race tires compared to the other R compound tires around, and not as good as the Comp TA R1's they replaced, but for the right price, what the heck, although they would be probably be old and hard by now. Don't have 911 experience, so I can't help with pressures, but post if they are or are not R compound tires, and maybe others can chime in.

Mike
Old 10-11-2004, 08:52 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Yeah, I just checked and they throw 'g-force' on a lot of their tires. It looks like they make a drag-racing slick called g-force, and some lesser street tires, too.

My post was about the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD, in particular.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:18 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jack,
I love the G-force KD's. I posted on the 993 board that they were great tires.
The G-force R compounds had a short product life and they have not been in production for many years. For that reason alone I wouldn't use them. Add my brief and miserable experience with them and I would have a hard time stressing how much you should avoid them. I personally saw two people with these tires suffer high speed blow outs and another friend with a race prepped 993 have such horrible handling at high speed he replaced lots of suspension parts before realizing it was the tires. The G-force's predecessor the R1 was a great DE tire and besides not having 18" sizes were a very good tire. Look at the Toyo RA1's, believe me they are much cheaper than replacing body work.

If you do decide to use them I hope I don't have to say I told you so....
Old 10-11-2004, 09:39 PM
nman413
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too bad they dont make 285/95 RA1s...
Old 10-11-2004, 09:50 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jauder,
RA1's are available in 245's and 305's which would be perfect for a widebody 993.

In 17's I would go with 235 or 245 front and 275 rear for a narrow body 993.

http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_specsheet.cfm?id=1
Old 10-11-2004, 11:06 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Back to the G-force tires. If you have them in your possesion look for a date stamp. Just curious as to how old they are.
The date stamp will be a four digit number. The first two indicate the week they were made. The second two would be the year.

Example 0402 would be a tire made the 4th week of 2002.

Quick Reply: g-Force