Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to find something to race in, suggestions anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 04:51 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 147 Posts

If you want to lower the expense of the intial purchase, find a car that someone else has put the money into (as long as it was done correctly). Any car you consider buying should be gone over with a fine toothed comb by a Porsche mechanic you trust and really knows Porsches.

Buying a clean bone stock car and preparing it yourself (you writing checks and your mechanic doing the work) is more expensive, but you then know that the car was done right. (I went this route). I would stay away from any car that has been wrecked because I have heard stories about 911s that were bent and therefore hard to get the suspension set right.

If you can afforf between $50-60K for the initial car purchase, get a 964 Cup. Hand built at the factory. Lots of bang for your buck here.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:43 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You may want to consider your goals in track days/racing.

I built my one and only race car and it has been quite successful.

In fact building the car was one of my goals as I wanted to learn how to fix and maintain the car as well as do race prep.

I first started with tracks and autocross. That was fun and built the car as I went along. This did a couple things. Firstly it spread the build-up expense and time along over a coupel years and it also gave me a chance to learn how the car responded to various set-up differences. Now I have arrived to a set-up that is pretty good for most situations.

The other thing to consider is racing. I have found that before I raced DE was fun and being on the track alone was as good as it got. Now that I have number of races under my belt I find my greatest enjoyment from racing close and hard with other cars. If go to race and run the entine 30 -40 min without anyone close it is a little dull even if I was setting new track records and way out front in my class. Finishing second after a close hard 30 min battle is far more rewarding for me. So what this means is that it is best to find a class with good competition and selecting a car that is competive and also a prep level that fits in your budget. Personally I' love to race 996 Cup cars in PCA club racing. It fits very well with my ideas of fun, Lots of competition, competitive cars and great drivers. Alas I dont have the bugdet to even buy a set of tires for one of those. So I just stick with my little 944-spec car. The cars are tons slower, competition can be quite good, cars are pretty equal, and costs are pretty darn low. (really about as low as you can and still race a Porsche).
Old 10-07-2004, 06:44 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you again for all input.

Finding a race built Porsche isn't really that hard. I'm both member of the local Porsche Club and well connected to the racing world. So finding an race object isn't that hard, and find some descent street junk is very easy since I'm a 2 hour flight from Germany.

After some talking with some race people, we believe a 944 or a 968 would be the easiest to begin with. Still, I'm having a hard time to let the 911/965. Also those folks don't race Porsches... (So they don't even understand why I want a Porsche)

So, for example:
1.) Lets compare the 944, 968 and a 964/5, all from stock.
2.) Don't count in the cost for buying the car!
3.) Don't count in on crashing the car.
3.) What would be the cost difference for race building them?
4.) Would a 944 for example be easier to set up for the track than a 964?

Cheers.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:05 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't have to count the cost of buying it, then buy one that is already set-up ready to go. The factory race cars hold their value the best ( so you can sell it for what you paid ) . I would get a good 964 Cup and be done. They are fast, reliable ( stock blueprinted engine ) and may cost only slightly more that a 944 to keep running. Tires will be the biggest expense with any car and there is not that much difference in cost. There is also a reason they made the air-cooled 911 for as long as they did .... they are awesome cars !!!
Old 10-10-2004, 06:30 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Finding a good racer with a reliable car who wants to move up a class and has to sell his car to buy the new one is the ideal situation!
Ask around at the races and keep your eyes open.
I passed on a $32,000 blue 968 cup car here in Columbus.
Right under my nose !
I still regret it.

Quick Reply: Time to find something to race in, suggestions anyone?