Sponsored by:

Fishman vs CC Putnam Data Analysis

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 01:16 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ColorChange
If you maximize velocity on the correct line (the better term would be maximize speed on the correct line as velocity is already a vector), you are in fact maximizing g's on the correct line.
Your statement above is true. What I am saying is that it is better to think about maximizing velocity along the correct line as this is what the goal is. I left the term "speed" out as we are having a physics discussion. Actually, and I'm sure to get alot of flamming here, I would think the goal is to maximize velocity while minimizing g-forces, this would be a way to find the best line.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:32 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Min speeds, segment times and lap times all seem to be where I see the pros's focusing when reviewing data overlays driver to driver right after they jump out of the car.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:53 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Mitch:
In order to maximize speed along the optimal line, you have to maximize g’s. There is no separating the two. It is impossible to “maximize velocity while minimizing g-forces”.

Just a real quick physics refresher for fun. Velocity is a vector (which means magnitude and direction). Speed is the magnitude (or scalar) and the line is the direction. So technically speaking, you would maximize your speed along the ideal line for a proper physics discussion.

Glen:
I agree, with the same car and similar conditions, segment times, lap times, and minimum speeds tell a lot. If someone is faster in a segment, there are two explanations (all other things being equal) either driver A drove better (higher g-sum) or he chose a better line. If the drivers are on the same line, speed tells it all. If they are not, then you need to look at both.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:56 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ColorChange
Mitch:
In order to maximize speed along the optimal line, you have to maximize g’s. There is no separating the two. It is impossible to “maximize velocity while minimizing g-forces”.
This is just a discussion of semantics but the point I'm trying to make is that it is easier to think of maximizing velocity. Maximizing g-force requires that you add the disclaimer of no unecessary g-force creation.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:57 PM
FormulaOne10
Rennlist Member

Actually, and I'm sure to get alot of flamming here, I would think the goal is to maximize velocity while minimizing g-forces, this would be a way to find the best line.
I'm lost here with your quote...I just don't see how that is possible.

The reason it's beneficial to think in terms of g's is because velocity is a derived quantity that is based on many things happening to the vehicle. G-forces (ideally) are directly traced back to inputs into the car...which can be used for many things, including driver analysis. Velocity tells me nothing in this regard...it just tells me I went faster, not why I went faster. Additionally, g-data is beneficial because it relates to things like suspension setup, tires, engine performance, etc.

To maximize velocity you are maximizing g's. If you are maximizing g's you are not always maximizing velocity (unecessary g-creation). I think we all understand this now.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:06 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FormulaOne10
I'm lost here.
Sorry. If you think about what is the best line to take, it would be (excluding all the nuances for what it leads onto, from and so on) one that allows for the most speed while keeping g-force at the fc of the car. You are not trying to maximize g-force, you are trying to maximize speed.

So if you try a line that allows the same speed with less g-force creation, you may have a better line. Of course you may also have driven way off track to take a straighter line so I guess I should add the disclaimer that no unecessary distance be added.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:13 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I see your post grew in the minute I responded. Yes, it is beneficial to plot g-forces as a way to tune the vehicle. I am not that convinced that it is THE most useful tool to assess the driver.

Quick Reply: Fishman vs CC Putnam Data Analysis