Sponsored by:

NNJR DE at VIR Nov 5-7 Who's going?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 11:26 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe and Mimmas - Italian Place in Danville - good food, fairly quiet, so you can actually carry on a conversation.

Brian
Old 10-12-2004, 10:45 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does VIR have a skid pad? When I went to HPDCs in the past, I found the skid pad to be a good way to develop a feel for my car, which, at the time, was a Boxster S. Now that I have a 996, I would really like to hit the skid pad again to get play around a little with the very different feeling of a rear-engined car. Ideally, it would be great to do this before the DE driving sessions begin. Is there an easy way I can fit that in before my driving sessions -- apart from hitting an empty parking lot in the rain? Thanks.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:48 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

VIR has a skipad/autocross area, but if NNJR is not paying for rental of that portion of the facility then it is off limits - I think...
There are quite a few country roads leading to the track where you can "try out" your car...

Brian
Old 10-12-2004, 10:50 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi TD,

There is a skid pad there and I don't know the rules, but I think you can drive on it at leisure. After I drove my car back from Vegas, that was the first thing I did (find an empty parking lot). The VIR skid pad is right next to the track.

Larry,

NO EAGLES FANS ALLOWED AT THE SHOW, even if you are Pres.

I don't think it is going to happen anyway as I couldn't decide to go w/ teeth or w/o teeth and they are booked up.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:54 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
VIR has a skipad/autocross area, but if NNJR is not paying for rental of that portion of the facility then it is off limits.
There are quite a few country roads leading to the track where you can "try out" your car...

Brian
I guess I was wrong. I have seen people use it, but I guess they were not suppose to. I think it was some locals in Mustangs doing burn outs.... on second thought SVT was running the Patriot course.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:03 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

No, more than likely I am wrong. I've been to a couple of events though where we were told we couldn't use it because the club didn't pay for it.

Brian
Old 10-12-2004, 11:19 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm - the skid pad at VIR -- after NNJR's Porscherama event this past September (multi-function event - DE / Time Trial / Autocross / Rally / Concours at Pocono Raceway) there has been talk of broadening the autocross program and run a couple events at the tracks in conjunction with our DE program. The VIR skidpad, the Lime Rock 'autocross training course' and the large parking lots at Watkins Glen have been mentioned....

Stay tuned...
-Z.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:23 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Z-man
Hmmm - the skid pad at VIR -- after NNJR's Porscherama event this past September (multi-function event - DE / Time Trial / Autocross / Rally / Concours at Pocono Raceway) there has been talk of broadening the autocross program and run a couple events at the tracks in conjunction with our DE program. The VIR skidpad, the Lime Rock 'autocross training course' and the large parking lots at Watkins Glen have been mentioned....

Stay tuned...
-Z.
Sounds like a great idea to me. I am sure that you instructors would much rather have me "take a spin" on a skidpad to gain "at/beyond the limit experience" rather than do so during track time, not that I would ever do such a thing.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:37 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

One of the many nice things about VIR is that it is very forgiving of mistakes. There are not many places where you get in serious trouble if you go off. In most of the high speed areas, if you goof, just go straight!

Also, when you come in to talk to the steward, and only after you have given him a very honest and detailed reason why you blew it, see if you can cajole him into cleaning the grass out of your radiator intake for you. Saves run time!!
Old 10-12-2004, 03:06 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

THE LIST IS POSTED THE LIST IS POSTED!!!!!

Click on Downloads, and the packet will be there!!!!
Old 10-12-2004, 03:34 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

I don't see the names John Hajny or Larry Herman anywhere.....?

Larry, I will be running in white w/ your son. Will he have the GT3?
Old 10-12-2004, 04:26 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Number 801 - - - (so close to 901, yet so far)!!! See all of you there!
Old 10-12-2004, 04:47 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Brian & everyone else,

Italian sounds good. Do you think we can get an approximate head count so we can let the restaurant know in advance to expect a large party of very well behaved motor heads?

Richard
Old 10-12-2004, 04:51 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by richard glickel.
Brian & everyone else,

Italian sounds good. Do you think we can get an approximate head count so we can let the restaurant know in advance to expect a large party of very well behaved motor heads?

Richard
If greens are welcome, I can be there. What time?

By the way, do they have a big parking lot? Maybe I can kill two birds with one stone?
Old 10-12-2004, 07:38 PM
tntporsche
Instructor

Acceptances are listed - NNJR is planning a cocktail hour at the Gallery on the VIR grounds on Friday night. The Gallery is a museum of sorts and I am told that they have some very nice cars on display - Cocktails will be provided. NNJR is also having a dinner on Saturday night at the track. Catering at VIR is exceptional . . . at least as far as track cuisine goes . . . so plan to attend the dinner as well.

Official acceptance emails will go out tonight after I get back from a meeting. If your name is not on the list posted on our web page (with the exception of two guys from RTR) then I do not have your application.

Quick Reply: NNJR DE at VIR Nov 5-7 Who's going?