Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seats for Racing/some daily driving/on a budget?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 10:42 PM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Seats for Racing/some daily driving/on a budget?

I have an '88 924S that I've been using as a Driver's Ed car and plan to go to Time Trials next year and then, perhaps, to some racing the following year. However, I also use the car a day or two a week for the daily commute and am on something of a budget...no really!!! So I need some help with info on seats that are somewhat compfy and yet hold you tight, accept a 5 point harness, and are safe when racing. Is there such a thing? Anyone have any such seats for sale? Thanks for your response!

-CKKrause
Old 10-01-2004, 11:20 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Look for a set of used Recaros---SRD perhaps. Don't skimp on quality---you definitely get what you pay for.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:31 AM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

The only experience I have is that I had SPGs for awhile and I was not happy with them for my daily driver. They were to hard to get into and narrow for even my 5'6" frame. They may be okay if you are small and only drive the car on the street every once and awhile. This may be a little extreme for what you are looking for, but I recently got a custom butler seat in my race car and it holds me very tight and is pretty darn comfortable. However it is harder to get into than the SPG's. Just another idea.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:39 AM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your responses so far!! Trackjunke brings up another point I didn't think about before. I am 6'3'' and 225 lbs. He was talking about a tight fit and he's only 5'6"!!!! Do I need extra large seats as well as shirts!!!??? And is that more bucks?

-CKKrause
Old 10-02-2004, 12:54 AM
msailer
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shouldn't mean more money. I would highly recommend the Recarro SRD seats
These are very comfy for a daily driver.

I have a set 4Sale with the low profile sliders.

These seats also tilt forward, just like the OEM seats so you can get behind them. The back is also adjustable, aka recline position.

I have a SPG in my 911 right now that I use as a daily driver.
Yes, they are difficult to get out of and are very snug on my 5'9" 180lb frame.
I'm willing to put up with it, for now at least. I do get weird looks when I'm exiting the car....... must look like I'm injured or something

Mark
Old 10-02-2004, 01:04 AM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Mark, those seats look awesome. They will make perfect DE/daily driver seats.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:26 AM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Mark-

Please email me with what your asking for those seats...They look like what I'm looking for if I can afford them...

CKKrause (krause13@pacbell.net)
Old 10-02-2004, 05:39 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Corbeau makes a nice seat and less money than the seats mentioned. If all you are doing is DE I would buy Corbeau. Racing is another issue so I would opt for the higher end seats. I have OMP seats-Champion is the model I think and love the fit and comfort.
If the seats recline you will need to buy another seat to use for racing. Something to consider for the future if your driving needs change.$$

Close to what mine are.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:09 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

You've stated that you're goal is to start time trial and race your car. This means that safety and support should be the most important factors aside from price. A reclining seat will not do this for you. There are many brands out there. I have a Sparco Corsa, which is much too small for your size, but Sparco makes the EVO 2 and 3 which are meant for larger drivers. Recaro also makes seats for larger drivers. That said, you need to sit in as many seats as you can so you don't make an expensive mistake.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:46 PM
GUMBALL
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree with dgz924s and earlyapex - suggest that you consider a full racing seat for competition, and leave your street seat for street. In the Porsches, changing a seat is only a 10 minute job.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:09 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ckk,

If those black Recaro SRD's are still available - grab 'em. I have a pair in my 911 (most street, occasional D.E.), very comfortable andgood lateral support for the track.

Ciao.

Richard
Old 10-02-2004, 08:19 PM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for your comments!! I think I am going to forget the dual purpose seats and just get a race seat for the drivers side or a pair of race seats, if I can find an affordable pair....

SO>>>> Anyone have a pair of decent race seats for a large person!!!!! Otherwise, I'll look at some of the entry level or near entry level new seats from Sparco, OMP, Momo, and Corbeau.

Again, thanks for all your comments so far!!

-CKKrause
Old 10-02-2004, 11:03 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ckkrause
Thank you all for your comments!! I think I am going to forget the dual purpose seats and just get a race seat for the drivers side or a pair of race seats, if I can find an affordable pair....

SO>>>> Anyone have a pair of decent race seats for a large person!!!!! Otherwise, I'll look at some of the entry level or near entry level new seats from Sparco, OMP, Momo, and Corbeau.

Again, thanks for all your comments so far!!

-CKKrause
You might take a look at the Cobras as well. Very light, Kevlar sandwich and cheaper than Recaros and Sparcos. I have the Suzukas, but the cheaper Imolas are a steal and available in a wide version as well. No real good pix in the car, but this might give you some idea.

Old 10-03-2004, 01:58 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by RJay
You might take a look at the Cobras as well. Very light, Kevlar sandwich and cheaper than Recaros and Sparcos. I have the Suzukas, but the cheaper Imolas are a steal and available in a wide version as well. No real good pix in the car, but this might give you some idea.
My thoughts exactly! I have the Cobra Imola2 GT in my car. Partial Kevlar laminate, high quality fabric, great fit etc. Just finished driving 450 miles yesterday and today (to and from track event), seats are just fine for me.

I chose these seats not so much for pricing, but quality. These seats are FIA certified, FWIW..
Old 10-03-2004, 02:22 AM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

I really like my Sparco Evo2's!!! I'm your size too, 6'3" 240lbs (well maybe a little bigger) I just..fit into the Evo2's there is NO WAY I would fit in the standard Evo's. So find some to test fit in before shelling out the duckets.

Quick Reply: Seats for Racing/some daily driving/on a budget?