Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upstate ny - race alignment / setup (kokeln rear on 951)?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004 | 08:36 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Kurt Thiel - Thiel's Import Service in Canandaigua. Bosch-trained tech, a current hard-core SCCA racer & former pro-rally driver, who understands track set-ups. I KNOW he's got an alignment machine, because I've had some of my fleet on it.

I just keep peeling them off...
Old 09-29-2004 | 09:49 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

R&D Auto, in Albany, can also do it.
http://www.bavarianrocketscience.com
Old 09-29-2004 | 10:07 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

I'm going to work with John unless something comes up... thanks for the suggestions!! Do either of the two places mentioned (Thiel / R&D) have direct experience w/ the Kokeln stuff?
Old 09-29-2004 | 10:38 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've heard absolutely horrible reports about R&D, they'd never get my business.

Edit: Also, from what I've seen/heard, the Kokeln stuff is easier than the stock stuff to adjust - I wouldn't be worried about it.

Sam
Old 09-29-2004 | 11:50 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

After two visits to R&D, I decided to break my promise to my wife, and started working on my newly acquired 951. Horrible service and a half-assed tech inspection guaranteed that they won't be seeing my business again.

-Jon
Old 09-30-2004 | 12:32 AM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

It would be a bit of a hike but Steinals Autowerks - east of Cleveland - is one of the best Porsche race prep shops in the Eastern US, and is very familiar with 944's. Club racers along with some Speed GT racers from quite a big radius come to Eric to setup their car.
Old 09-30-2004 | 04:20 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

Skip - I had a bad experience with a guy in ohio, the person I bought my black car had a 'buddy' who worked somewhere out there, i can't remember the name but I'll have to look it up, i know it was near cleveland, as he was from the Chagrin Falls area (east side). His 'buddy' seemingly 'wrote' a bunch of 'reciepts' for 'work done' (if you get my drift) on a car with 100,000 more miles that the odo read / than he said it had... bye-bye rod-bearings in a hurry.

re: R&D, oh well, I didn't wanna go as far as Albany anyway, although 9N into Vermont is one HELL of a fun road, esp. in the fall

Sam - yeah it's likely a LOT easier, but I still don't know enough about the setup, or alignments in general, to do it all myself, plus I'm trying to eliminate a rubbing issue, etc etc. - I need "expert" help.

thanks for the suggestions, all!!
Old 09-30-2004 | 08:10 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

It constantly surprises me...

I'm not a trained technician, not a racer, and really have no formal education in what I do, but one of the things that makes me comfortable that I have a place in this racket is getting cars in from other shops. I've seen some that had been tended by well known outfits - got one right now - and it's pretty puzzling.

Example - 944 Turbo with what I call the "Hot Air Intake." Cone filter right on the AFM, sitting right behind the radiator. I don't see what advantage there is to this, but that's another issue. With no air box to provide mounting to the water tube, what did they devise for holding the AFM in place? Zip ties! I'm no whiz mechanic, but it strikes me that a sensitive electronic device should be mounted a little better than that. I fabricated some nice alloy brackets to keep it steady.

If you want picky prep and fabrication that won't come apart until you lay a wrench on it, let me know. If you want zip ties and two-way tape, well... Dave & I can refer you to those shops!

Old 09-30-2004 | 05:59 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

can't wait to tear into it with you john

Quick Reply: upstate ny - race alignment / setup (kokeln rear on 951)?