Sponsored by:

Fuel Cell for cup cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 11:53 AM
dbanazek
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Cell for cup cars

The only fuel cell I know if for 996 cup cars is based on a pro fuel cell that has dry break and other features not needed by amateur racers. It is also about $7000

I am talking with a couple of cup car drivers to get my hands on a cup car. As an ATL distributor I can work with them to develop a less expensive standard type cell. Cost will probably be less than $2000.

What size would you cup car dirvers want?
Old 09-27-2004, 01:54 PM
DCLee
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe ATL developed a carbon cell for the 996 Cups last year. Why would another one be needed?

In any case, 19 gals would probably be the max for the stock tank position, no?

Lee in D.C.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:15 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

I have a 25 gal FuelSafe cell with the above mentioned dry break. It fits in the stock location. 25 gallons will just get me through a 90 minute enduro without refueling, so I wouldn't want anything less.

Karl
Old 09-27-2004, 04:07 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

SCCA does not require a cell for the Cup as it can race as delivered from the factory in GT2. I am sure Grand Am setup requires a cell and as Karl said 25 should be the min.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:52 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Glen,

I haven't raced with SCCA yet but a couple of friends have. They both have Cup cars without fuel cells. They had to run in ITE because they didn't have fuel cells. I'll find out myself soon enough, as I'm trying to get into an SCCA race at Summit in early October. Maybe it's a regional thing.

Karl
Old 09-27-2004, 11:02 PM
dbanazek
Intermediate

SCCA still reqires a cell for GT2. According to the SCCA GT racing bulletin board there was talk about about eliminating that requirment at the GT summit at the run offs.

We should be able to put a larger cell in if we expand it out of the stock area, similar to the cell currently available. The reason for another cell is to elimnate some of the unneeded options and get the price down a lot.

Quick Reply: Fuel Cell for cup cars