Sponsored by:

FYI -- Dunlop Supersport Race

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 09:08 AM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very funny Jeff! I think they are excellent tires for driving to and from the track and running DE events. Although at the Potomac Club Race, the two fastest GT3s were running them.

See you there Todd. Saw your car sitting up at GT Performance. Looks great with the new BBS wheels and the Supersports! Hopefully the weather will clear up. I'll be there starting on Friday with Zone 2.

Regards,
Sam
Old 09-30-2004, 09:22 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I bought a set of the SSR to use as my street and DE rain tire on my GT3. Anyone know what hot pressure works best?

By the way, a hard driven Audi will chunk any tire with the stock alignment IMO.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:30 AM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

36 hot works for me.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:49 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

She had S03s AND MPSCs before and neither of them chunked...

She did say that the Dunlp RACE was a bit stickier than the S03s BUT not as good as the MPSCs. There was a hairpin turn she did 'drift' on.. but then again, so did I on my MPSCs...

I must admit this was my ONLY exposure to that tire but my 1st impression was NOT a good one!

She ran the same size in front and rear and rotated them between sessions.. (originally only the front were chunked.. but in the end all tires were chunked)

to me they look more like a street tire than an R compound (even more so than the MPSCs)..... I had heard the autocross crowd loves them (and I can believe that).... but I just don't think they are worth it on the track IMHO...

Gingerman is next for us and I'm hoping someone there has them as well for me to evaluate... as Gingerman is well known to be extremely hard on tires.

The Audi was at Grattan BTW.... She wore out her MPSCs on Friday (but this was after 10+ track days) and had to drive to TireRack Saturday morning...

BTW: She missed out on yet another session due to complete loss of brake pads (she wore 'em out)... OOOOPS.... I guess it is safe to say she is very hard on the equipment!
Old 09-30-2004, 01:47 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter
Ahhh... woman driver, that explains it!

Just kidding....
lol.. yeah.. I know how sensitive some of you men can get when there's a really good female driver... especially when she does better than most of the guys out there
Old 09-30-2004, 02:09 PM
kary993
Drifting

Originally Posted by ceboyd
lol.. yeah.. I know how sensitive some of you men can get when there's a really good female driver... especially when she does better than most of the guys out there
People seem to put out those stereotypes about men and women though I have really never been able to determine a man from a woman while being in a car on a race track. I determine thing based upon their driving ability., If they are better than me I learn from them, if they are not I pass them

I get the feeling, though I could be wrong, that anyone that chunks a DSSR in 1 hour and goes through a set a pads in a day might be very passable on the track...just a thought.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:44 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by kary993
I get the feeling, though I could be wrong, that anyone that chunks a DSSR in 1 hour and goes through a set a pads in a day might be very passable on the track...just a thought.
Her pads weren't new that day.. new for the season, yes.... AND she got times in the top 25 of the day (75 total cars) -- might have even been in the top 10 raw times actually... ... She was in 'A' group (fastest group) and I was in 'C' Group as it was my first time at that track.. I don't remember anyone passing her to be honest...

I had plenty of people passing me the 1st 2 sessions but at the last session of the day and on Sunday's sessions, no one passed me and I did all the passing

My best lap time was 1:36.2 where as she got a 1:33.3 in her Audi

I got FTD for women ONLY because she didn't have a P-Car.... But it was a woman who got FTD for a NON P-car and she got a 1:30.1 (on hoosiers) and beat out her husband (It was a gutted WRX if I recall correctly)

Anyway, I'm going to pay much more attention to who has what tires at my remaining DE days this season to see if I see anyone else with them and 'chunking'.

From what I've seen, the majority of 911 owners now have MPSCs (especially 993 owners).... ..and then there is the Hoosier crowd
Old 09-30-2004, 06:49 PM
KJinDC
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Was her S4 a funny blue color and was she a diminutive asian lady?

-KJ
Old 09-30-2004, 06:52 PM
KJinDC
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Audi S4s (the turbo model from 1999-2002) are very abusive on the front tires. The cast iron block motor and all plumbing for the turbos and intercoolers sits just in front of the axle. That car defines understeer. Mine isn't excessively modded but even w/a decent set of coilovers and semi-aggressive alignment it eventually gives in to the understeer.

-KJ
Old 09-30-2004, 07:05 PM
kary993
Drifting

Originally Posted by ceboyd
From what I've seen, the majority of 911 owners now have MPSCs (especially 993 owners).... ..and then there is the Hoosier crowd
I think that depends upon what region you are in and what type of track driving you do. It also depends upon how large the sample set is. For example, in POC I see very few MPSC used because they do not yield fast times, POC is all about time and winning. PCA, TracQuest, etc.. I see MPSC because there are many more DE's around here. No timing and wear seems to be the focus.

I use neither the Dunlops nor Hoosiers for time trails and I do very few DE's. I trailer my car so using the DSSR or MPSC is of little use to me. So my sample set will be quite different from yours.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:44 PM
tdf360
Pro

Originally Posted by Jeff Curtis
Fact on fact here...these are NOT the tire you would use for all out racing, they are designed to drive to the track, drive the event (with considerable "stiction")...and drive home...several times.
Sounds a lot like how some of us use the Toyo RA-1. Wonder how they compare in lap times and wear.

Gary
Old 09-30-2004, 09:02 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I just bought a set to do DE with - I'm one of those who wants long tire life and low wear over ultimate speed, and the price made it a no-brainer! Thanks for the heads-up!

Sam
Old 10-01-2004, 12:44 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by KJinDC
Was her S4 a funny blue color and was she a diminutive asian lady?

-KJ
Yes
Old 10-01-2004, 01:17 AM
techno99
Racer

I am planning on getting 235/40-18s for the front of my totally stock 96 C4S. Is this the best choice for DE use?
Old 10-01-2004, 12:35 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by techno99
I am planning on getting 235/40-18s for the front of my totally stock 96 C4S. Is this the best choice for DE use?

I had RUB when I had 235s on my 'then' stock 96 993..

NOW I only go with 225 40 18s in front.. but that is just me...

Quick Reply: FYI -- Dunlop Supersport Race