Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here an instructor or very good driver in the DC area?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 12:35 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone here an instructor or very good driver in the DC area?

I am trying to become a better driver and learn more about the sport, but finding it difficult to get into the DE courses through PCA due to the wait lists for green drivers. I plan to attend a driving school at some point, but I have three kids at home under 22 months and my wife would kill me if I left for a few days at this point for driving lessons. What I am wondering is whether there is an enthusiast from the DC metro area who would be willing to take on a sort of informal "mentor" role here. I am not talking about a lot of time, but rather someone who loves the sport so much they can guide me in the right direction, let me know about useful events in the area or point me to instructors who I could use given my restricted schedule. Of course, when my kids get older and I actually learn to drive, I would be more than willing to pay it forward.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

TD
Old 09-24-2004, 02:14 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TD,
Suggest you give some serious thought to the two NASA events scheduled for Summit Point in October and November. Details at http://www.nasaracing.net/index.html

Sign up for HPDE1 - equivalent to PCA Potomac Green run group. NASA runs an outstanding event, some of the instructors are PCA Potomac instructors as well, all of the instructors are good, and you get to watch the racing between your run sessions. Summit Point is around one hour from McLean, so you can easily drive up and back each day - less time away from the family!!

Registration for the October event is open now - don't snoooze!

FWIW, I doubt that any instructor would consider teaching performance driving on the public roads.

Autocross is another option - PCA Potomac has events scheduled for October 9 and November 7 - single day events. Details at http://www.pcapotomac.org/pca/html/a...dule2004.shtml
Old 09-24-2004, 02:37 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Tony,

Thank you for the tips. That is exactly what I am talking about. Yes, I would not expect anyone to teach me anything of consequence on open roads, apart from little things that do not endanger anyone (e.g., looking at my heel-toe and shifting technique, etc . . .). I am more talking about someone to do exactly what you just did -- telling me about an opportunity -- and perhaps someone who could teach me about setup (e.g., alignment, settings on my PSS9s, etc . . .) and point out technique at events.

I will look into the NASA event.

TD
Old 09-24-2004, 03:16 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

I registered for the November 6-7 event. Anyone from here going to be there?

Thanks again Tony.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:20 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Tony,
Look up KarlS on the board. He is very familiar with 996's and races a GT3 Cup car.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:26 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

TD,

Also keep an eye on the other PCA regions that travel for Summit Point events. Since these other regions are travel and this is an out of town event, many of the participants are locals from the Potomac region and the events are easy to get into.

I have only run 2 Potomac events this year becuase I too have a baby at home and cannot travel out of town for an entire weekend. I have gotten about 12 track days with other regions. Even though the season is winding down, keep an eye on next year's schedules.

Keep us posted as to your participation and hopefully we can meet sometime soon. For Potomac events, stay up to 1:00am or sign up first thing when you wake up on the day registration opens. I do this and have never had a problem getting into an event.

Check out:
Schattenbaum: http://www.schattenbaum.org/
Reisentoter: http://www.rtr-pca.org/
Metro NY: http://www.metronypca.org/

Good luck and keep being persistent.

-Skip
Old 09-24-2004, 03:37 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Skip,

Thanks for the tips. My twin boys arrived on May 14. Between the boys and my 21 month old daughter, there is a lot of "singing" in my house.

Hopefully we will run into each other at one of these events.

Thanks,

TD
Old 09-24-2004, 03:52 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My first baby, daughter arrived on May 7 - so we are in a similar boat. Everything has been local this year, but hoping to get back to VIR next year.

Looking forward to meeting you...

-Skip
Old 09-24-2004, 03:53 PM
Al P.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NNJR runs an excelent DE program

http://www.nnjr-pca.com/site/index.p...&ceid=4&meid=4
Old 09-24-2004, 04:07 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Al is right . I instruct with PCA Potomac [and NASA] and have always considered NJJR to be up there with the best DE programs on the east coast. Great events.

I'll be at the two NASA SP events. NASA is the sanctioning body for our race series, the 944 Cup.
Quite a few other Rennlisters are actively involved with NASA.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:26 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

NASA rocks. I love how the DE sessions are broken up by races or vice versa. I will be at the SP October event, but will be at the NNJR VIR event in early November (hopefully).

(There will be no lifting in the Echo!)
Old 09-24-2004, 04:41 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Originally Posted by forklift
(There will be no lifting in the Echo!)
OK, so my student at the last NASA event was a first timer in a Toyota Echo. For those not familiar with this steaming rocket, it is a sub-compact FWD with bags of factory understeer and 85 squirrel power.

At the instructor's meeting on Sunday morning, the 'Red Echo' came up, mainly because the other drivers were having trouble seeing my student's passing signals. She could barely reach the top of the roof, so the signal was hard to see if you were standing off the pass side corner. Then somebody made the grave mistake of suggesting that she lift after giving a passing signal . I made it clear that there was not gonna be any lifting in the Echo, which kinda broke the group up for a minute there

FWIW, she was carving the line beautifuly by Sunday morning. Had a few instructors comment on how nicely she was driving that little red grocery getter.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:53 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I am still laughing as I type this, that was friggen hilarious.

She did do quite well and improved, if we could do 5,6,7, & 8 in a loop she could probably hang with most of them!

TD, one other option is Friday at The Track (FATT): http://www.bsr-inc.com/SCHEDREC.HTM , unfortunately it books up ahead of time in Group 1, but it looks like 11/19 is still open. When I joined PCA last year they were sold out a head of time, so I did all FATTs (I did not know about NASA) and learned quite a bit. If you see a black RSA #242, stop by.

Jim
Old 09-24-2004, 04:59 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Jim,

Great tip. I will check it out. This is great timing because my wife and kids will be away for most of November/December so I have much more flexibility to take courses then.

I will look for the RSA #242.

Thanks,

TD
Old 09-24-2004, 06:51 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

I just signed up for the November 19th "Friday at the Track." I am easily influenced (or is that just prematurely addicted). Thanks for all of the tips, and let me know if you can think of more.

Oh yeah, I take it I need to fax in my application for NNJ DEs, correct?

TD

Quick Reply: Anyone here an instructor or very good driver in the DC area?