Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here an instructor or very good driver in the DC area?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 09:20 PM
Al P.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Oh yeah, I take it I need to fax in my application for NNJ DEs, correct?

TD
Nope, NNJR requires that the app. be mailed in. the trick (not really) is that it must be postmarked with the published opening date. We usually (actually my wife does it) go to the post office on the opening day and have the envelope hand canceled that way there's no chance of the wrong date. The track chair does accept a small percentage of apps. at the meeting prior to the date but as long as you get it in on the opening date you stand a very good chance of getting in. Obviously our ability to take students depends on the number of instructors and the size of the track. As far as I know there has been almost no-one excluded from an event, if you do get put on a wait list hang in there cancelations always happen.

NNJR Program Chair
Old 09-24-2004, 09:45 PM
j_leder
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Actually you can only use US mail as of the openming date...
Good Luck
Old 09-25-2004, 01:24 AM
Lothar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TD in DC,

I too have a family at home. I also have a very limited budget and a hectic work schedule.

Do as many events per year as you can. If you can only do one or two weekends at tracks that are near you, then so be it. You will still learn a lot and enjoy it. I have learned to plan my year very early. If I don't plan the weekends that I want to drive, other things will come up, I may not get registered in time, and I end up very frustrated.

I try to plan how many events I think I can do at the beginning of each year. Make sure you are sending your registration in at the earliest possible date. Since track time is at a premium these days, the cancellation policies are not too strict. A replacement can be found on the wait lists very easily.

Having participated in DE events since 2000, I have learned that there is a lot to learn about how to maximize your learning experience. I would be happy to share my thoughts with you some time.

You are not alone. Many of us must struggle with the time and financial obstacles that high performance driving creates. My kids are still young, so I'm not sure if things will get easier of harder. I can tell you that some cooperation with my wife has freed my schedule to do about five events a year. She gets her time to do things that are important to her and I enjoy the time with my kids.

If you'ld like to chat some time, drop me an email with your contact info: dphil911@nc.rr.com.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:28 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I just signed up for the November 19th "Friday at the Track." I am easily influenced (or is that just prematurely addicted). Thanks for all of the tips, and let me know if you can think of more.

Oh yeah, I take it I need to fax in my application for NNJ DEs, correct?

TD
Sweet! I will see you there. I just sent you an email with a list of events.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:19 PM
Food Angel
Off-Topic Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget, you can bring your kids with you to the track! My daughter (my first born) started going to DEs when she was 10 weeks old, and my son was slightly older because he was born in February. My kids are now 3 and 5, and they look forward to going to the track, too!
Old 09-27-2004, 11:39 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I look forward to meeting as many of you as I can in upcoming events.

TD

Quick Reply: Anyone here an instructor or very good driver in the DC area?