Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HANS vs ISAAC - Oh... that debate again!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 01:20 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Question HANS vs ISAAC - Oh... that debate again!

Guys,
I know there have been a few HANS vs ISAAC vs Others debates around. I can search them and even have added my $.02 in a few. Over the past few months I am sure more folks have gotten thes devices and have more experience with them so I think this thread may provide new information as to allow me to select which one is right for me.

Well right now I am in a postion to purchase HANS or ISAAC. I am not sure which one, but I know it will be one of those two.

Major Factors

1) Cost - Both are about the same price so there is no clear winner

2) Safety (collision) - I consider both to be very safe. Not sure of one is better than the other, but if so I'd consider it marginally so. From as safety stand point I don't think you can go wrong with either. Any other advice is apperciated.

3) Driving Comfort - ?

4) Typical egress of the car - ?

5) Rapid Egress of the car/emergency situations - ?

6) Typical process to get in the car & suitability for shared car enduros -?

7) Functionality/Convenience when instructing - ?

Thanks for your input gentleman!
Old 09-21-2004, 01:33 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I won't debate the merits of the two devices, but here's my experience with the HANS for some of your questions:

3. I've worn mine for 8 or so events and don't even notice it anymore. The first time out it bugged me a bit, but I can't even tell that it's there now.

4. I'm a fairly big guy at 6'1" and 240 lbs., but can get in and out of my Cup car with no problem while wearing the HANS. I know people think that it looks like it would be difficult, but if I can do it then most people should be able to do so.

5. No problem. Most of the time will be spent undoing the harness, lowering the net, etc. Once the camlock is undone I can slip out with no problem.

6. I tend to keep my neck straight and bend over a bit more with the HANS. I haven't snagged it since the first day. As for sharing the car, no problem because there is nothing in the car and the other driver can wear the HANS if they're similarly sized.

7. I can turn my head and body enough to do most anything, so I'd imagine that it's fine. Most people would use hand signals and/or a helmet radio anyway, and I can't imagine needing to look anyone in the eye while driving.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:44 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I chose HANS. Back when I was making a decision, the corner workers hadn't seen the Isaac so it was a no brainer for me.

I also like the idea of no moving parts. If the straps are worn, I will see it.

Comfort -I don't notice it at all.
Egress - Just get out, then deal with it. It may catch on the top of the door because of the rear lip, luckily I have never had any experience with this.
Sharing -As long as both drivers are about the same size, no problem
Instructing -If your student has a harness, no problem. On Sunday, I instructed with the HANS on and part of my instructing involves watching the student's eyes/face to see where he is looking. Again, no problem
Old 09-21-2004, 03:58 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

M758:

I just bought the Isaac. It should be quite a bit more convenient, slightly safer (theoretical advantages) but the biggest concern is exactly what Mitch mentioned, unfamiliarity from corner workers. I plan to put stickers on the helmet and car to help but it's still a risk.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:55 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

FWIW, I went w/ the Isaac, very simple. I done appx 24 days of DE's and thou it clunks a bit at first, you quickly forget about it. Every Track Ive been at , Lime Rock, BeveRun,WG, Sebring, RA, I've asked at meetings whether the corner workers we're up on them. Yes was the answer. How hard is it to pull 2 pins out? Whatever get something!
Bill
Old 09-21-2004, 06:26 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 61 Posts

I have the HANS and I think its great. I do something different than others regarding putting it on and taking it off.

I like to put my helmet on while staging, while I'm in the car. I also like to take my helmet off after the session while still in the car. This can be done very easily with the HANS.

I now get in the car, put my HANS on my shoulders, and then put my belts on loosely. I then drive down to staging (although you could certainly execute the next steps in the paddock) and wait. At about 3 mins to go, I put the helmet on and simply click the HANS onto the helmet.

After the session, I usually disconnect the HANS from the helmet toward the end of the cool-down lap, and then I just take the helmet off as per usual - often while driving to my spot in the paddock.

So I have no issues with your factors 4 & 6. I echo the comments above on the rest of your list.

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2004, 07:52 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Head restraint needs to be mandated. I use the HANS and have zero issues with it. Works great, easy to use, easy on and off, easy in and out. Don't know any reason at all everyone does not use a head restraint. HANS was just a proven entity. Cost is not an issue, use your head....doh....lol. Just put a milder setup on the car so the tires last an extra weekend or two and the HANS is paid for...
Old 09-21-2004, 09:46 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Isaac and have used it for about 7 days of DE's. Once you get used to installing the pins and driving with it for a day or two, there's nothing to it. I feel alot better with it.

Two tips:

Use the glue to attach it to your helmet (not the bolts) and have someone help you mark your helmet for the location while your seated in your driving position.

Instead of trying to install the pins with your helmet on by feel, place the helmet in front of you and attach the shocks/pins to the helmet, put on your helmet, and then snap the harness straps into the latch/cam lock.

Good luck!

Jim

Last edited by A930Rocket; 09-22-2004 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:33 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Jim:

Why do you recommend the glue?
Old 09-21-2004, 11:24 PM
PhilW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Since June I have been using a device called "R3" from the shop that advertises on the inside cover of Pano. It was about $900. The first few times it was cumbersome mostly because it was a change in my pre-drive routine. I have not been able to find a picture of it but it is kind of like cross that goes down your neck/upper spine and 1/2 way across your shoulders and straps around your shoulders and chest. I have not found it uncomfortable. It does however remind me of what lousy posture I have.

I chose it because it is not as dependant on the seat shoulder belts staying on for it to work, unlike the Hans. Most of the ones I have seen are better than nothing at all.

Phil
Old 09-22-2004, 12:47 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

I use Isaac. Comfort is like nothing is there. You have nothing to move your head forward. There are no seat fitment issues. Isaac simply hangs for the helmet and rests on the belts. For egress it is simple. Corner safety guys all have carpet knifes to cut seatbelts as SOP. So even if they can't figure the Isaac out there is always the knife. You can't do the enduro thing unless the other guy has isaac. However you can take 5 seconds and roll the isaac through the seat cutouts and it is not there. Then your buddy can go naked or HANS. Personally I think there are real safety issues. 1) I like the HANS from europe that has the lip for the belts. You can't get that here. Who makes that one now under license? 2) HANS works but is kinda dumb. It is like a halo for when you hurt your neck. 3) Isaac thinks. The dampners work less with low impact and absolutely lock on high impact and the device is speed dependant not position dependant. There is some good physics here.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:50 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How to put on the Isaac device

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
Instead of trying to install the pins with your helmet on by feel, place the helmet in front of you and attach the shocks/pins to the helmet, put on your helmet, and then snap the harness straps into the latch.

Jim
Doh! What a great idea. As one of the early Isaac adopters, I've done five races including an enduro, with associated practices, plus I guess a dozen DEs using Isaac. So maybe on and off 80-90 times? My only complaint is that my learning curve on putting it on has plateaued: it's still a real pain. If I have "crew" (read wife/son/dad) they usually do it for me. The issue is just adreneline: I'm fine putting it on for a DE, but prior to an important practice/qualifying/race start, I'm all thumbs. I'll try this idea next time out, but it sounds like it will solve this problem.

My other worry used to be familiarity by corner workers, but as previously noted this seems to be increasingly a non issue.

One benefit of head restraints that I don't see mentioned but mattered to me: I really appreciate getting rid of my padded collar.

Brandon
Old 09-22-2004, 11:23 AM
Mark in Denver
Instructor

I have no experience with any other devices, but I have used the Isaacs for about 50 track days between my PCA stock car and my Spec Miata. I'll second what Brandon says about liking the way it supports your neck. I used to use a neck collar for fatigue and the Isaacs performs the same function. The one time that I forgot to attach it resulted in a pained neck. I didn't realize how much it supports the neck in the corners.

I haven't had the problems mentioned getting the pins in. It takes me about 5 seconds to latch both sides, and about 1 second to disconnect.

Since I move mine from car to car, I have replaced one of the circular pins that attach the device to the belts with a quick disconnect, to make it easier to move to another seat. That might work if you need to use it in instructing.

Generally, I'm quite happy with it. As has been said many times, at least do something to save your neck.

Mark
Old 09-22-2004, 12:03 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

I too use an ISAAC, love it, have ranted about it before, won't again, will just restrict myself to comments on above. I know what you mean about the difficulty of getting the pins in - only is a problem when adrenaline's going and I'm too excited. I find it an excellent reminder to calm the heck down and focus on what I'm doing! I have the same problem with my belt buckle (latch, not camlock) if I get too excited. If I drive excited, I drive slow, so it's an excellent calming influence.

Likewise, disconnect is so easy as to be unconsious.

Mark, I'm interested in hearing what kind of setup you have for the quick-disconnect; I'm scheduled to do an enduro later in another car with 2 other drivers, one has a HANS, one has nothing. So at least for the HANS driver I plan to have to remove the ISAAC.

Simple answer to the question of cornerworkers (even though it's a guaranteed non-issue as noted). I make sure to stop by the F+C morning meeting, when I'm out with a new crowd, to show them the device and pass on the info. I also have the "ISAAC Equipped" stickers in my window, JIC.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:45 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the feed back guys... Keep it coming!

Quick Reply: HANS vs ISAAC - Oh... that debate again!