Sponsored by:

What is a reasonable price for DE tech. inspection

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 11:19 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am the track-tech co-chair for my PCA region, NNJR. Here's our policy:

1. NNJR schedules tech inspections for our DE's at the local independant Porsche shops that support our region. (We also use dealers). For example, the next NNJR DE is at Watkins Glen on Oct 4-5, and we are holding a tech at Pinnacle Motorworks in Sterling, NJ on Sept 29th from 6-8. These tech inspections are FREE. Snacks and drinks are provided. About 1/4 of the folks who show up don't even bring a car, but participate in some friendly bench racing (er, bench DE-ing I mean!) On a big event, we'll typically tech 35-40 cars at the tech session. Most shop owners provide help, but for the most part, it's the folks within the club who volunteer their time and ability and check the cars over. The reason we use the local shops are because we need to get the cars up on a lift to get a good look at everything. In the beginning of the season, we have a "tech inspector's workshop" where we teach folks what to look for when teching a car.

2. If our DE participants cannot make our tech session, it is their responsibility to get their car teched by an approved shop. If they are within our region, they can go to any shops listed on our website (www.nnjr-pca.com <-- shameless plug) or any shop listed in our monthly magazine. If the DE participant is out of region, then they can go to any shop that their region approves of.

3. ALL NNJR DE participants MUST have their cars teched either at our tech session, or at an approved shop. This includes instructors! They are not exempt of a pre-event tech! (They can self tech at the track, but not the pre-event tech).

4. Typically, in our area, if someone is not teching their car at our tech session, but they take it to an individual shop, that shop will either NOT charge them anything, or may charge them up to an hour's labor. If the DE participant is the shop's loyal customer, the chances are the tech will be free.

Question: do other PCA regions offer a tech inspection like we do?

Now that I've confused the issue, anyone have any questions?!?
-Zoltan, NNJR track-tech co-chair.

Last edited by Z-man; 09-21-2004 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:06 PM
pcsanady
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
I am the track-tech co-chair for my PCA region, NNJR. Here's our policy:

Question: do other PCA regions offer a tech inspection like we do?
The Potomac region also schedules free inspections at local dealerships and repair facilities before every DE. Many times there are even lifts available for light maintenance on a first-come, first-served basis. Many of these shops also will do free track inspections for PCA members if they can't make it to the schedule inspection.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:09 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

I would suggest Wright Tuning or Ken Farler. Both are great. No experiaence with Taj. He does do quite a bit of advertising in the OVR monthly rag.

Quick Reply: What is a reasonable price for DE tech. inspection