Sponsored by:

cool shirts vs cool vest HANS and sidewinder helmets

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 02:45 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robert Henriksen
It's getting harder to talk yourself out of a HANS for budget reasons as well; the standard model now costs less than one set of Hoosiers for a 911.
No doubt. The minute I'm employed again I'm placing my order. It's not even for me. I've made peace with my maker long ago. But I damned sure don't want to make my wife a widow. I owe it to her to wear one.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:03 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am planning on one, but I still undecided on HANS vs ISAAC.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:16 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gentlemen,

SCCA Pro Racing requires all drivers to use a Head and Neck System and includes the Isaac system in its list of approved products.

Section 20.4 of the SCCA Club Racing's General Competition Rules deals with belts only. With respect to release points, this section of the GCR states, "There shall be a single release point common to the seat belt and shoulder harness." There is no section of the GCR that deals with Head and Neck Systems.

We suspect you will see changes in the GCR soon, hopefully in the next printing (2005 edition) as this issue of release points addresses only safety components that may trap a driver in a car, but not non-safety components that may trap a driver in a car, e.g. radio connections, drink tubes, forced air tubes, in-helmet shift indicators and cameras, etc.

SCCA Pro Racing, BTW, has no requirement for release points, but the driver must demonstrate their ability to rapildy egress the car. After Jeff Altenberg was trapped in his burning car when his HANS device snagged on the window net there has been some debate about a maximum time for egress--especially from closed-cockpit cars--but we don't know the current status of that subject.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:40 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to hear this is cleared up!

An Isaac owner.

Originally Posted by gbaker
Gentlemen,

SCCA Pro Racing requires all drivers to use a Head and Neck System and includes the Isaac system in its list of approved products.

Section 20.4 of the SCCA Club Racing's General Competition Rules deals with belts only. With respect to release points, this section of the GCR states, "There shall be a single release point common to the seat belt and shoulder harness." There is no section of the GCR that deals with Head and Neck Systems.

We suspect you will see changes in the GCR soon, hopefully in the next printing (2005 edition) as this issue of release points addresses only safety components that may trap a driver in a car, but not non-safety components that may trap a driver in a car, e.g. radio connections, drink tubes, forced air tubes, in-helmet shift indicators and cameras, etc.

SCCA Pro Racing, BTW, has no requirement for release points, but the driver must demonstrate their ability to rapildy egress the car. After Jeff Altenberg was trapped in his burning car when his HANS device snagged on the window net there has been some debate about a maximum time for egress--especially from closed-cockpit cars--but we don't know the current status of that subject.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:34 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Gregg is not just an ISAAC owner.... He IS MR ISAAC!
Old 09-21-2004, 12:54 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

""After Jeff Altenberg was trapped in his burning car when his HANS device snagged on the window net there has been some debate about a maximum time for egress--especially from closed-cockpit cars-""

These are the kinds of things that sell you on Isaac. For me the Isaac feels like nothing when you wear it. In fact, I can forget to put it on sometimes. They make these small carpet knife looking hook blade things that work great for cutting belts and window nets. I'm a bit paranoid, so I keep one within reach just like I did when I had a fire extinguisher when I ran DE's. You don't need any fancy mounting. Duct tape them to the metal floor of your car and they never go anywhere. You can take a window net off with one in a single swipe.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:51 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, I was talkinking about me. I'm an Isaac H&N restraint owner!

Originally Posted by M758
Gregg is not just an ISAAC owner.... He IS MR ISAAC!
Old 09-21-2004, 08:38 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Cool shirt is worth more than new hoosiers especially in enduro !

Quick Reply: cool shirts vs cool vest HANS and sidewinder helmets