Sponsored by:

Diasio

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 10:04 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diasio

I am seriously considering purchasing a Diasio 962R. I am currently using a 1986 951. There is a small contingency of locals who may also buy, so it would make for a fun little group. No other type of car is being considered at this time. Does anyone have experience with these? Will I have to alter my driving style much? How about safety concerns? What options should I consider?

Thanks
Old 09-15-2004, 11:05 AM
howie
Instructor

Try search, colorchange asked the same question about a week ago
Old 09-15-2004, 02:17 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I read that post as it was happening. The reason noone has an opinion about the 962R is that it has the new Mazda Rennesis(?) engine and none have been produced yet. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Diasio.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:32 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

From a total newbie ... I think it will change your driving style quite a bit. Your time base will be much faster. Your lines will be different as this is a high hp/weight car. Your average track speeds will obvioulsy be much higher as the car pulls lat 2.0 g's compared to around 1.0-1.2 for you now. While the average track speeds are much higher, because the car has such low mass it can stop extremely quickly so the speed is partially mitigated by the incredible stopping power. If you watch their video, you will see the driver stop on a dime after a high speed skid (very comforting).

I do not have any direct experience from other drivers yet though.

It seams like the three choices are the Stohr, Diasio, and the R. The stock engine in the Diasio really appeals to me.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:12 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Being that I drive and race a Diasio on a somewhat regular basis, allow me to add my two cents.

I have spoken/emailed with Chris Diasio on several occasions regarding the 962R and how different it will be from the 962D...for one, it'll be MUCH faster than the original.

The other issue is that it will no longer have a live axle, this my friends...is good. The 962D is a whole different animal from most sports racers as it has a live axle, a Winters spool differential with interchangable gears. If you think you've experience push through a turn, give this car a drive...it gives a whole new meaning to the word push!

Seriously, I love the Diasio, a good friend of mine is the owner...it's an incredibly fun, and good-looking car...but the 962R is going to top it in both "fun factor" and looks.

The two main issues I have with the Diasio are:

1) LOUD as hell in the cockpit...makes radio communications difficult and the propensity to answer everyone with a "HUH?" after driving one for a weekend is a good possibility - unless you wear hearing protection (ear plugs).

2) It gets HOT in that cabin!! ...imagine sitting on grid at VIR, on a 90+ degree day - I don't have to imagine it, been there, done that...MANY times. Let's just say I weigh less after a day or so in that car.

Other than that, the car is a blast, everything has to have a caveat - right??

If a group of you car considering purchase, get on the Diasio discussion boards and ask some pertinent questions regarding the 962R - as I believe an acquaintance of mine may have taken delivery of one of the 1st ones out of the factory...not sure on that.

The 962D was a good sports racer, but not very competitive in SCCA DSR trim, although Chris (last name slips me) took his to the run-offs two (maybe 3) years in a row and did well...he is hailed the "fastest Diasio driver" by many and I've raced with him in my Toyota WSR...which is supposed to beat these cars, hands down - but not that day.

My friend and I continue to make upgrades to his 962D...but even he is considering the purchase of a 962R - so that says a little something about loyalty.

On parts...well...it's a little disconcerting to me that you have to get several of the "specialty" parts from Diasio, like components that wear out, etc. but if you're a bit crafty, one could bypass that route on some of them.

Driving a 962R is still in my "wish book" and it will happen one day...owning one, now that's a whole 'nuther story.

Myself, I will probably move onto a Mazda Sports Racer in the next year or so...the technology in those things is amazing, yet simple...what will they do against a 962R?? ...who knows.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:39 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

On the early version the gearboxes seem to be an issue and they are a bit fragile if you take one off track.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:54 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

The new one uses a stock Maxda Renesis engine and a Hewland gear box.

Quick Reply: Diasio