Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
I should have added: "Driver carries no DAS."
Damn, it just keep getting better!

Originally Posted by forklift
Damn it, I thought I was president of the Rennlist LC Driver Associaiton. I have been on the side lines lately, or at the track, so Larry congrats! I can be the VA rep.
Oh, sorry Forklift, that association was disbanded 2 threads ago. I welcome you to our new organization - Low Character, Fast Drivers Club (LCFDC), because it recognizes fast drivers as well as those of low character. For this oversight, I humbley APOLOGIZE and I have been "instructed" to offer you the Vice-presidency, if you will accept!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-11-2004, 12:52 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I accept!
Old 09-11-2004, 12:05 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jack: How about: DAS THIS! It's short, simple, and quite eloquent, IMHO.

-Z.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:30 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

As I have said before, using numerical solution techniques the racecar engineer can calculate the optimal laptime for a chassis on a track. The more variables are modelled the more accurate the result. The driver is not a factor. Once the theoretical "best" laptime is established the testing begins.

This is how numerical analysis is applied to motorsport. If you do not have an engineering background or a background in multivariable numerical computing it may be a foreign concept. But, there is a way to calulate this.

As far as "steady state", it has nothing to do with it. This can be a fully dynamic simulation and still be accurate.

As far as Colorchange, he is oversimplifying the importantance of a single "g-sum". The tires are non-linear, the whole problem is non-linear. G-sum is a distillation of the overall envelope or domain of the problem, but in reality the solution is highly non-linear and dynamic involving many, many degrees of freedom.

In short, the many variables of chassis maps, tire maps are inputs. The track topology, grip and atmospheric conditions are inputs. The line is *iterated* over and over, the braking points are iterated over and over. Millions of computing cycles are used to determine the optimal line and laptime for a given situation.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:04 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by ColorChange
Sadly, you and many others who have no direct knowledge and experience using a DAS think they can assess how much a DAS can or can't help.
Wrong. More spin.

Truth: people believe DA is very valuable. What they are saying (including two professionals in the field) is that the methods you are using are greatly flawed.

You can't do this because you have no (or little) knowledge to make an informed assessment. I do have the direct knowledge and experience and know it is a wonderfully powerful tool provided you have the technical orientation and capability to utilize it (it definitely isn?t for everyone).
Hold the phone here. I need to read this again.....

You can't do this because you have no (or little) knowledge to make an informed assessment. I do have the direct knowledge and experience and know it is a wonderfully powerful tool provided you have the technical orientation and capability to utilize it (it definitely isn?t for everyone).

Experience? What experience. Perhaps I've misread, but my understanding is you have approx 6 hours of track time. That doesn't count as experience. You own a DA system. That doesn't count as experience. Oh, you've used it for 6 hours? That doesn't count as experience.

Perhaps I've misread though. Feel free to correct me. Regardless, you don't have years of experience with either.

Quick Reply: Driver and Car Capability Influence