Sponsored by:

Talladega School Fatality

Old 09-01-2004, 12:22 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Talladega School Fatality

As reported on Autosport.com:

"A man has died following an accident in a Racing Experience driving school Ford Taurus at Talladega Superspeedway, ALA. Tony Davis, 43, of Fayetteville, GA, was taking part in a corporate event put on by Bruno's Supermarkets Inc. Davis was on his way back to the pits when his car hit the outside wall along the track's backstretch. He was air-lifted to UAB Hospital in Birmingham where he died from his injuries."

Be safe out there people.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:26 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

We all do so much driving it is easy to start taking it for granted.

Don't know the circumstances here but sound like this was probably a pretty inexperienced driver, given that it was a corporate event... maybe even a first timer. Not sure I would ever want to drive around Talledega. Everytime I do the IMSA long course at Pocono I find myself asking what the hell I'm trying to accomplish here... too much speed and too much concrete.

Anyway it is a very sad thing
Old 09-01-2004, 05:53 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It certainly shouldn't be taken lightly.

I obviously don't know much more than the article states on the accident, but I did look up the school mentioned. Here is a link to info on them: http://www.racingschools.com/schools...perience.shtml

Starts with a 30 minute drivers meeting, then its into a passenger van for a few quick laps around the speedway demonstrating how to bring the car up to speed, the proper racing groove, how to draft and pass other cars on the track and how to safely bring the race car back into the pits. NOW it’s your turn behind the wheel of a real Nextel Cup Race Car, driving yourself for 10 laps. Passing is encouraged.
You complete all aspects of the 10 & 20 lap programs. Your racing will be conducted in 10,15 or 20 lap segments. After completing 20 laps you are encouraged to draft 3-4 car lengths behind and in front of other cars, from that point you will move into drafting tighter and tighter until you are inches off the bumper of other cars. Aggressive passing 2 times per lap is encouraged.
Are you kidding me? "Aggressive passing 2 times per lap is encouraged." This is insane! I guess a 30 minute class and a minivan tour justify passing at 165mph on a superspeedway.

I feel for this man and his family, but give me a break, what did he expect? I assumed I would find a "Sponsored by Darwin" logo somewhere on the site.

BTW, how can they get insurance on this type of thing?

Max
Old 09-01-2004, 06:51 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few years ago, my wife did a Petty Driving Experience. They sure didn't ask their students to aggresively pass 2 or 3 times per lap. Did you get that from one of their brochures? Is this "Racing Experience" group part of Talladega?

How Wierd. About their insurance, I'll bet it won't be cheap now.

Bill Seifert

1987 944S Race Car under const
Old 09-01-2004, 07:11 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

This isn't Richard Petty Driving Experience which I understand to be very well controlled. This is an independent company to the best of my knowledge...they probably just rent out Talladega. They have some other tracks too.

This appeals to the moron thrill seekers. There is no way a 30 minute classroom session could prepare you to jump into a Winston Cup car.

We talk about how a person with multiple DE days shouldn't attempt to drive on R compounds...these guys throw people in world-class race cars on a super speedway!

Places like Skip Barber and Bondurant must hate these "schools". Not that their schools are completely safe, but I don't believe they wrecklessly throw you to the wolves. It unjustly tarnishes the reputation of all driving schools and even track events.

They suggest drafting and tight passing in there one day courses. I wonder if they teach trailbraking to beginners?

Max
Old 09-01-2004, 08:46 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Something like this was inevitable given the recent surge in the popularity of these types of "schools". I think some of them are well run, but they are pushing it by putting complete beginners out there on the track in a 600 hp machine. They are selling the thrill factor and often tell participants how fast they were going. Encouraging open passing at that level of experience is insane and I'm surprised there have not been a lot more incidents if that is really the case. Still, I think the person behind the wheel is ultimately responsible for their own actions. Very sad and tragic for the family though.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:31 PM
jasoncuk
Instructor

Interestingly on the Skip Barber three day racing course, passing was only allowed on the last day and even then under very controlled conditions - an actual point past or free passing in three specific zones. This just sounds irresponsible.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:28 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

A very sad day and another reason for HN restraints. I got this from a website on the incident. YMMV: "When this happened he was out of state, attending an employer sponsored event that featured the opportunity to drive a NASCAR machine (a Ford Taurus on a 2000 season NASCAR chassis) around the track at Talladega. As the article reads, he crossed the finish line for the final time and began the shutdown lap. At that point hose at the track say that car made an abrupt (nearly right angle) turn into the wall, Dale Earnhardt style. No other cars were involved.

The nature of the accident (if eyewitness accounts can be trusted) suggests that a broken component in the steering or front suspension could be to blame, but all of my info is second and third hand, so I am making no accusations. I would imagine that the truth will be debated in a more formal manner in the future.

Though he spent all of last week in the hospital, the truth is that Tony lost consciousness within minutes of the accident and never got any better. His spinal chord was severed in several places."
Old 09-02-2004, 09:37 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've done the Richard Petty Driving Experience (given as a gift). After classroom instruction (flags, rules, etc) you are told to follow the instructor's car (as you drive alone), keep 3-4 car lengths between you and the car in front of you and under no circumstances get out of line.

The pace is very slow fior the first 2 laps, then a bit faster, etc. The final laps are not that quick.

It is definitely a step down in just about every aspect from the Porsche Driving Experience (which I did at Road Atlanta before they moved to Barber).

I can not even begin to image why they let people pass. One more reason I don't bother with anything NASCAR.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:54 PM
JRW911
Track Day

Tony,

Godspeed and Blessings to your family. 'There but by the Grace of God'. All of us with the' Need for speed 'mourn.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:06 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRW911
Tony,

Godspeed and Blessings to your family. 'There but by the Grace of God'. All of us with the' Need for speed 'mourn.
Amen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Talladega School Fatality