Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is a driver ready to move up in DE groups ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 02:21 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ColorChange
I doubt I will be doing many PCA DE's. I do not like crowded tracks, and this sounds typical and accepted. Not by me. I don't want to be out there with my $200k car next to somone in a $5k car who is allowed to follow so closely. I think that it is not anacceptable safety/risk situation. This is especially true when I can pay $300 and have 15 cars at the event for the whole day. I get all the track time I can handle and then some.
Actually compared to a lot of other venues, PCA is pretty good. The National standard for PCA events is 15 cars per mile, so at LPR on Thursday I'll be out there with 22 other cars. This compares to a recent Spec Miata race there in which there was somewhere around 44 participants. Cost $130. The recent NHIS event was $110. Its a pretty sweet deal.

I can undertand your angst about your car which is why I have a dedicated track car. But I'd observe that in my brief DE career, every wreck I've seen has been a singleton involving driver error and each and every one has been a violation of the Stirling Moss rule I mentioned earlier. Not to say that others can't cause a shunt, but it is a much rarer occurrence, particularly in the lower run groups. I'd add that the guy following you isn't much of a problem, particularly if he's caught you in his 5K sh*tbox, you should just be letting him pass anyway. Its the guy in front of you, if you're pushing him too hard in the corners that could spin in front of you and make for a bad day.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:37 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RJay
Actually compared to a lot of other venues, PCA is pretty good. The National standard for PCA events is 15 cars per mile, so at LPR on Thursday I'll be out there with 22 other cars.
This compares to a recent Spec Miata race there in which there was somewhere around 44 participants. Cost $130.
I agree with RJay. I'll be at LRP this Thursday and am looking forward to it.

In addition, and I realize I may be the exception, I don't mind traffic at all. The vast majority of PCA drivers I've been on track with are fairly predictable and respectful. If I do find myself in a large train, I'll merely pit in, drive thru, and probably never see them for the rest of the session; and if I do, the train will have probably sorted itself out for the most part by then.

BTW, I don't know who came up with Wreck Me Otter (I know there is a rennlist member by that ID), but it sure does fit Spec Miata racing!
Old 09-03-2004, 03:03 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alpine951
Ron, I remember Monday night when we where talking about driving in Blue or white and you said you where going to stay in Blue. The next day I heard you went into white and wondered what happened there. But I can understand your reasons after what you said earlier. See you at LRP.
Hey Alpine (John?)! I agree with you that some of those out among us seemed to be very marginal in terms of their yellowness. I do sorta feel like a jackass for being so adamant about not moving up and then turning around and doing it. After that incident with the 968, undoubtedly one of the cars that would have been better placed in green, I realized I might actually be safer to be in a faster grouping. I figured I'd ask Peter and leave it to him. I made a point of telling him that if he had any reservations about my driving to keep me in Blue; my pride wouldn't be hurt. He took the ride, said yes, so I moved up. Looking forward to seeing you again at LRP! (and don't forget to offer alms this week to the DE gods so we don't have to deal with whats left of Francis)
Old 09-03-2004, 03:04 PM
frayed
Race Car

As RJay said, wrecks are primarily single car incidents. A driver getting in over his head, having brainfade late in the day, trying to make too big a change in his attack of a corner, etc.

Two summers ago, late in August, I spun after way too much time on the track on a 100+ degree day. There was not another car in sight, and there were only 5 of us on track. Not enough hydration, too many beers at happy hour the night before, and I tried to make too big of a change going into T12 at 95mph. The track won, and spit me out like a pissed off dragon. Fortunately, the only damage I did was to the surrounding daisies and a few scoropions. I took away a renewed respect for the consequences of less-than-optimal concentration when driving anywhere near my limits.

I've never seen or heard of a car-car wreck at my local tracks in DEs, so don't let that freak you out.

DE organizers leave 'paint rubbin' for the racers.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:31 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

I will be running with the ProSport Drivers Group on Oct 1 at Putnam. About 15 cars total, $300. Drive till you drop ... safely and uncrowded.

http://www.prosportdriversgroup.com/

The following event Oct 2,3 is with

http://www.wheel1.com/hikari/driverschool.asp

Supposed to be good (Fishman) but I don't know first hand.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:33 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frayed
Oh, and a word about 'the line'. I've since learned that the late apexing taught so religously by the PCA is not the holy grail, and I've found a much tighter line, eg, the low line coming through T1 and earlier apex in T2, for example, to be much more effective. Same with T5, where you can really haul *** and drift the car all the way to the dirt road turn in point at T6. Oh, and the far right line coming into T8 is slow if you can trail brake effectively at T8 and rotate the car w/o going so far to the right. These things they seem to not teach at the PCA.
I'm not picking on you frayed, really!

I can only speak for NNJR PCA: with us, when the cheifs set up the cones on the track, they bias most turns to be a late apex turn. Why? While not always the fastest way around, it more often than not is, and more importantly: it is typically the SAFER way around the corner. Our region's DE motto is: "Safe Serious Fun." So while the PCA cones may not be a holy grail when it comes to the fastest way around, it is the safest way around.

-Z.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:46 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Ron,

Yes, it's John. Your reasons for going to white make a whole lot of sense to me. I agree about that 968. That was the car I thought should still be green.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:00 PM
frayed
Race Car

No disagreement there, and no worries, I haven't interpreted anything in this thread as personal (even if I was supposed to; LOL)

PCA cones. Yeah, safe and slow. I know, I know.

I **really** do not like cones set up on the track. All they do is screw me up. I end up mildly fixated on them, and have to excercise my will to ignore them, look past them, and be a good little DE student taking the whole track in and approaching it as a continuous course rather than a series of behaviors in a point to point fashion. I drive smoother and faster w/o them, and have an easier time driving 'by feel,' which is a hard enough state to get into as it is. I think somewhere a billion pages ago in this thread, somebody mentioned a publication on the subject.

I remember one DE in particular, where I went out with a bunch of cones. I was not smooth, and was concentrating on point to point driving. I was with The Driver's Edge I think.

Then, a few S2000s went off track (they always go off track, or are slow). The cones moved as a result. I was all screwed up.

Next day, all the cones were removed. I was alarmed, and after a single run session, I ended up flying around the track, smooth, looking ahead, anticipating the cars around me, waiving to the cornerworkers when I was caught up in traffic.

Maybe I'm really uniquely freakish in this regard, but that's my experience.

Beyond cone removal, I really like running with open passing (no hand signals). You can really get into a rythm and have lots of fun running with you buddies. Immensely good fun. I know it doesn't compare to racing, but it sure is lots 'o fun.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:59 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

I will be running with the ProSport Drivers Group on Oct 1 at Putnam. About 15 cars total, $300. Drive till you drop ... safely and uncrowded.

http://www.prosportdriversgroup.com/

The following event Oct 2,3 is with

http://www.wheel1.com/hikari/driverschool.asp

Supposed to be good (Fishman) but I don't know first hand.

Wow we need some not for profit tracks out here. 15 x $300 = $4,500. Track, insurance, ambulance, wrecker and flaggers all donating their time.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:37 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John:

I just watched your video. To me, that traffic was so heavy and guys were driving so close to each other that I would have left the track. I allow significantly more space between me and any other car and would not allow so many people to be so close.

It does look like fun, but that is too close to racing for my tastes (currently).
Holy exploding thread, Batman! Just from today!!!!

Hey Color;

An interesting personal observation. It is another window into where you are as a driver, if you look at it objectively. If performance driving takes a lot of study - and it does - driving in close proximity is not something much of ANYONE can do without practice. You are very smart to place your own limits conservatively, and not get "caught up? in any such situations. I see it as a sign of maturity and awareness... and potential!

I was not put off by anything you saw there, and I am relatively cautious by nature. Even the little moment where my friend Knute (yes, really) in the Midnight 993 was being very cautious about passing late was handled appropriately by both of us. Aside from that little test of skill, everything else was seamlessly smooth and actually quite fun and rewarding. I certainly could have really made a big train of it if I'd wanted to, or was not aware enough not to. I am always very conscious about giving early and copious signals to my run-mates. Probably why my rear bumper is still intact!

THAT is how advanced driving can be done. That is a bunch of very good drivers (Red Group: North New Jersey Region PCA) working together to create a good atmosphere. I suppose I am sort of the acid test for the group. Having that 100-200-300-to-even-400 less HP makes me a lightening rod for people who don't play nice. Not that they have a hard time passing me!!

"Don't try this at home," kids!

Quick Reply: When is a driver ready to move up in DE groups ?