anyone using HANS w/ Teamtech Rampac harnesses

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 09:25 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the thread I was referring to:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=sternum+strap

And I was wrong, the risk is to the neck.

I believe there is more in here, but not certain:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=sternum+strap
Old 08-30-2004, 10:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

George, thanks for the links.

FWIW, I called HANS this afternoon to get their thoughts (and I wasn't expecting much more than that given the potential for litigation in the event of an accident; can't say I blame them).

What they said was:
1. They recommend as close to (or even a little bit less) 4" inner edge to edge shoulder belt separation as possible. Nothing over 5" measured inner edge to inner edge. This is pretty much what was in the HANS manual. I have to go out and measure the slot spacing on my Recaro ProRacer SPG to see exactly what it is. I'm curious how many seats have the recommended HANS spacing.
(If anyone has a HANS ProRacer SPG, I'd be interested in the differences between that and a std ProRacer SPG for shoulder slot spacing)

2. They recommend LESS than 20deg down from the horizontal for the shoulder belts when connecting to the horizontal harness bar. The ideal is 10 deg and surprisingly, 0deg (horizontal) is not ideal. The idea is to have a minimal of downward pressure on the HANS collar, but not too much which would cause:
a: discomfort
b: the rear of the HANS collar to be forced down, and hence lift up from the front during the impact event.

3. If the sternum strap is at the bottom of the device (yoke), they have no issue, as it only helps keep the belts from separating. Of course, depending on your height/size, the bottom of th device/yoke may end up pretty close to your latch/buckle/adjusters, so it may be a moot point.

4. They have had some monster truck drivers (nice company to have) who like the Rampac use it with the HANS. Since the chest/shoulder padding is sewn into/onto the shoulder straps, it is not an issue, as there will be the same friction between the belts and top of HANS device in an impact to control the motion of the HANS.
(this answered a question I always had regarding the rubber friction pads on the tops of the yokes on the HANS. It's primary purpose is not really to help keep the belts from sliding off as I originally guessed, as proper spacing does that, rather to set up the friction between the HANS and shoulder belts which is important in the impact event.)

What does all this mean? I have no idea

Quick Reply: anyone using HANS w/ Teamtech Rampac harnesses