Any Shenandoah updates

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 10:00 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any Shenandoah updates

I am torn between booking an October event at Shenandoah or going to the Glen with a group of rennlisters. Both will be fun, but I would really like to get on Shenandoah. Does anyone know what stage they are in down there? Will it be done for October 16th
Old 08-28-2004, 11:53 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

posted at the beginning of Dale's Track schedule:
http://vista.pca.org/jsr/jsrpca/dales.htm

Summit Point, WV "Shenandoah Circuit"
news from Eric Stratton, Potomac PCA (thanks Eric)

According to Summit Point track management, all events through the month of September have now been cancelled.

They continue to make progress, with all track surface now in place, as well as the paving for the bridge to enter the paddock. They outsourced construction of the pre-fab flag station tubs, 4 of which are to be delivered in the next week.

Also read Eric's great write-up from 7/21/2004 on his opionion of the progress so far. 7_21_2004 Shenandoah.pdf
http://vista.pca.org/jsr/OldPages/7_...Shenandoah.pdf
Old 08-29-2004, 10:50 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sleder: I am highly sceptical that the NNJR Shenandoah event this year will occur.

Just my opinion.
-Z.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:14 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NASA Virginia has tried to schedule a couple of events at Shanendoah this year... and had to cancel !!

My guess is... we are looking at 2005 for opening dates!
Old 08-30-2004, 11:15 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (Reisentoter) were at Summit Point this weekend, and got a chance to do a track walk (ride) around Shenandoah. All I can say is Holy Crap!

In the words of one of the EMS workers at the track (spoken with a southern drawl) "Its gone be a pinball machine".

Its very technical. There is no run off to speak of -- the track loops upon itself endlessly. Driving through it seemed easy to imagine where people would go off and hit a wall. The whole track seems to be paved, though a lot of the supporting infrastructure isn't there yet. There are concrete wall sections around most of the track -- not sure if that is how it will be permanently or if they are putting in guardrails. The Nurburgring turn is crazy! I'm not sure how much its banked, but it seemed like the truck we were riding in was about to roll over! Most of the track has very little camber, and there are turns that look like they go from on camber, to flat, to off camber (and over a hill in one case).

The track looks scarey to say the least -- not sure I'm interested in driving there.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:28 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree Darren! I rode it on a mountain bike the previous week and I got dizzy! Looks nice for a go-kart, or Polini pocket bikes. I will definitely need track insurance before I run on it. When you go off, you kiss concrete and immobile objects quickly.

Sam
Old 08-30-2004, 04:49 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam N
I agree Darren! I rode it on a mountain bike the previous week and I got dizzy! Looks nice for a go-kart, or Polini pocket bikes. I will definitely need track insurance before I run on it. When you go off, you kiss concrete and immobile objects quickly.
I wonder what we would have said about the Glen if it was being built now.

Quick Reply: Any Shenandoah updates