Anymore DE's at Road Atlanta?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004 | 10:35 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Question Anymore DE's at Road Atlanta?

Does anyone know of Road Atlanta is allowing DE's anymore?
I did a search on Dale's Track schedule page and came up with nothing for this season.
Old 08-26-2004 | 10:38 PM
Jack667
Drifting

check:
Trackschedule.com
Old 08-26-2004 | 11:06 PM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

Peachstate PCA has a DE scheduled for october
Old 08-26-2004 | 11:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the link and dates.
Old 08-27-2004 | 02:39 AM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Try www.panozracingschool.com

Road Atlanta has open track days on the weekend 4 or 5 times each year.

If you have "Solo'ed" here before in advanced... try group " A ". This group is for experienced drivers with mostly high powered cars such as Z06 vettes, Dodge Vipers, M-3 BMW's and Porsche TT's, and GT-3's.
Old 08-27-2004 | 02:59 PM
Benton
Drifting

Originally Posted by trumperZ06
Try www.panozracingschool.com

Road Atlanta has open track days on the weekend 4 or 5 times each year.

If you have "Solo'ed" here before in advanced... try group " A ". This group is for experienced drivers with mostly high powered cars such as Z06 vettes, Dodge Vipers, M-3 BMW's and Porsche TT's, and GT-3's.
Yeah, at the astonishing price of $500 for two days. Screw that. The RA PCA DE is $285 I believe for two days. I don't have that kind of money to spend on track days.
Old 08-27-2004 | 03:54 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Hhmmmm, there are only TWO groups on Sunday...

the Price is $325.00.

Pricey yes, good value... thats for you to decide!

Group " A " ( you better be FAST),

and Group " B" you best not be SLOW!!!

Both groups are "limited" to 30 participants each, on a 2.54 mile track. Panoz ALWAYS seem to have a "wait list" too!

Panoz indicates you will get at least 3 hours of track time. My experience over the past 3 years has been... closer to 4 hours! They combine groups A & B for the last sessions!

Now I also attend NASA SE events at Road Atlanta as an instructor. Our HPDE students get ample track time... but NOT 4 hours per weekend.

Ahh, the price is somewhat less too!
Old 08-27-2004 | 04:10 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

You have that right. The cost is higher but the cost per lap works out about the same. My experience is that that much time is tough on the equipment and me. I am totally whipped after a Panoz day.

Also check BMW club and Peachstate PCA. Peachstate PCA has a two day coming up in October, but you best get your application in now if you want a spot.
Old 08-27-2004 | 08:51 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

I hae been doing the Panoz lapping days for years (and the Braselton driving Club before that). We were there Aug 1st. I've been driving in the A group on Sundays. It wasn't always as fast as it is now, but it was this time between a corvette, my buddies mustang and my car. Times were in the low 1:40's.

I got about 180 miles that day. I would have had more, but was trying a few things and took a little time getting out on the track.

Personally, I rather spend the extra money and drive it all on one day with 1/2 hour on and 1/2 hour off. Seems to help what you did right and wrong and carry it back out there rather than waiting hours to go again.

Just my .02

Jim
Old 08-27-2004 | 09:09 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Something to be said for that, the Panoz instructors are pretty good too, although not in the car they can help you if you are having trouble with a corner or two. Thinking of doing the Panoz day in December. October I am doing the PCA event. The down side is if the weather is bad you can get completely skunked as all your driving eggs are in one basket.
Old 08-27-2004 | 10:44 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Honkity Hank]Something to be said for that, the Panoz instructors are pretty good too, although not in the car they can help you if you are having trouble with a corner or two.

IMO... The Panoz Instructors are a great source of information, all you have to do... is ASK!!!
They "rotate from corner to corner", during the day too!
So you get imput from three or more sources!

These guys have certainly helped me, especially from the entry into turn one... up the hill into turns 2 & 3... and down thru the esses... then coming out of turn 5!

Sunday's... Group " A " is not for the newbe,
even a natural like CC, a Porsche TT driver with "DAS"!

I have seen Vipers ( at least three), Corvettes... I could tell you some stories about these, and E46 M3's TOTALED !!! Also some major damage on Porsches, a beautiful Yellow GT3 crunched it's nose this year!
Old 08-28-2004 | 09:26 AM
Honkity Hank
Pro

[/QUOTE] I have seen Vipers ( at least three), Corvettes... I could tell you some stories about these, and E46 M3's TOTALED !!! Also some major damage on Porsches, a beautiful Yellow GT3 crunched it's nose this year![/QUOTE]

While I have been to many a DE that has not had an incident I have never been to a Panoz track day that did Not have someone wad up their car. Usually a late model factory hot rod in one of the usual places. Not to say that other DE's don't see their share of brain fade. August PCA event had 4 or 5 in one day, only one with serious damage though.

Hope to see you up there look for a rare guards red 944 turbo, number 376, you can't miss it as the numbers are huge.
Old 08-28-2004 | 11:40 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

From what I've seen, there seems to be more incidents on track at a Panoz event than a PCA event for some reason. Perhaps with no instructor on board, the driver feels a little braver to try a some things he shouldn't? I know several times where a guy would say "I was trying to keep up with..." and they left the track and balled up the car. A stock Honda/Acura/Brand X (with a newbie driver) can't keep up with a modified car (with an experienced driver) no matter how hard they try.

I'll be at VIR in Sept and I'm going to try to make RA on Sun in Oct.

Hope to see you there.

Jim

Quick Reply: Anymore DE's at Road Atlanta?