?? Mixing Hoosiers ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 02:13 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ?? Mixing Hoosiers ??

I've got myself into an interesting situation...as a result of some alignment issues I corded a pair of Hoosier R3S03 fronts (245/35/18) - the rears have lots of life left on them (only have 5/6 heat cycles).

My question is specifically pertaining to my upcoming DE at Road America in 1 1/2 weeks.

As you're probably aware, there are no more R3S03s - so my alternative are:

1. To run R3S04s on both front & rear. That means I would just toss the rears (I hate to because there's a lot of life left on them & I'm cheap).

2. To run R3S04s in front and the R3S03s in the rear. I asked Jeff Speer from Hoosier about this & he said that it would be OK but that I'd notice more pronounced turn in than I did with the R3S03s in the front.

Any opinions?

Anyone want a cheap pair of barely used rear Hooseirs?
Old 08-24-2004, 02:21 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Be ready for some wicked oversteer if you use the old Hoosiers on the rear. I did essentially the same thing last season with MPSCs and the result was a bit frightful.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:28 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Rick,
At Putnam I would say yes go for it and soften up the rear sway bar to account for the balance issue. At Road America I would absolutely not do that. New (and very serious) track for you and not having to worry about tires or a serioulsy oversteering car is paramount to saving a few $$.

Check with the Schardt's for 03's they may have a some rears sitting around.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:37 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

I had the same problem at Memphis in an SCCA club race, and the Hoosier guy (The one from Springfield Ill., forgot his name) said there was absoutlely no problem mixing s03's and s04's. I tried it and I saw no problem. Of course, Michael Shumacher I'm not.

Bill Seifert

1987 944S Race Car under const
Old 08-24-2004, 03:42 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Greg & Brian - decision made; I won't mix them.

I'll check with Dave & see if he's aware of a set of fronts that I can use (245/35/18 or 245/40/18) with the old rears...or, I may see if anyone is interested in my 275/35/18s since they only have 5 heat cycles on them.

I wonder if Jeff's comments of "more pronounced turn in" is a euphamism for dramatic oversteer? LOL

Thanks,

Rick
Old 08-24-2004, 03:49 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill L Seifert
I had the same problem at Memphis in an SCCA club race, and the Hoosier guy (The one from Springfield Ill., forgot his name) said there was absoutlely no problem mixing s03's and s04's. I tried it and I saw no problem. Of course, Michael Shumacher I'm not.
To clarify, I don't think there's an issue mixing the s03 and s04 (although having never used either of them, what do I know?) My concern was about using fresh tires up front and tires that are near the end of their stickiness in the rear.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:50 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Rick,

Call Hoosier, I really think they will tell you it is ok to mix, at least that is what they told me. It worked fine, on my car.

Bill
Old 08-24-2004, 03:53 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If the tires were both new then it would probably be fine. But we are talking about not only mixing new and used but different compounds as well.

At a big nasty track like Road America that eats cars for breakfast, lunch and dinner you need to be on top of your game and tires are a big part of that.

Besides Rick will need those scrubbed in tires when he does his first race at Putnam next month!
Old 08-24-2004, 06:59 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Greg,

I will sure take your word on Road America, as I have never been there. My experience was at Memphis, and I ran a used S03 with 3 half worn S04's and was actually a little faster, but I sure don't want to give anyone bad advise, I just did what the Hoosier guy told me was alright, and for me it was.

Bill
Old 08-24-2004, 08:14 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Bill,
Wasn't saying you nor the Hoosier guy were wrong. I just didn't think it would be prudent in his situation at a new track. I have done something similar to you and just put the worst tire on the least important corner (track dependent).
Old 08-24-2004, 10:58 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Greg, Oh I didn't think you were. I just felt, after reading your post, you were giving good advice, new track, different compounds .etc. At Memphis I was just trying to keep from buying one new tire, and the Hoosier guy said it was ok. But after thinking about all the ideas, I just thought your advice was better than mine, so I said so.

Thanks

Bill
Old 08-25-2004, 11:40 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Rick,
I'm with Jeff. I did it at TWS back in March without issues. I had 245 S04s on the front but the 285/18 rears weren't out yet. I ran S03s in the rear & it was a little loose so I softened the rear bar a notch & everything was fine.

Quick Reply: ?? Mixing Hoosiers ??