Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Post Your Racing/Track Seats!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004 | 12:57 PM
eunsulover
Instructor

Default Please Post Your Racing/Track Seats!

Could you please show what types of racing/track seats you have on your car? Also, what is your size (height/weight) and how comfortable are you seats?

Could they also be used for a long distance trip (if the distance between home and track is over 7-hour long)?

Thanks so much.
Old 08-23-2004 | 01:01 PM
M758
Race Director

Mine,
Sparco Pro2000.
Me = 5'7" 153 lbs
Comfortable actually a touch big, but easily adjusted it standard kindney pads
Not sure about long distances on street, but seat is comfortable for a 2hr enduro I ran.

Old 08-23-2004 | 01:06 PM
eunsulover
Instructor

Originally Posted by M758
Mine,
Sparco Pro2000.
Me = 5'7" 153 lbs
Comfortable actually a touch big, but easily adjusted it standard kindney pads
Not sure about long distances on street, but seat is comfortable for a 2hr enduro I ran.

I am exactly the same size as you. Does your hip move around during hard "weight shifting" turns? Did you consider other seats like Sparco Rev (looks a bit smaller than Pro2000)?

Thanks so much!
Old 08-23-2004 | 01:16 PM
Glen
Race Car

There is a Pole Position Recaro on Ebay right now, I bid on it but it snuck north of what i wanted to pay but still way under retail for it.
Old 08-23-2004 | 01:45 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a Pro 2000... I find it just a bit big through the hips.... even with belts cinched, you really need the seat to be snug to minimize movement in an oblique impact.... the seat does most of the lateral retention function....pads won't do anything, they don't have enough energy absorption.

If possible, you should try to sit in them before you buy.... good fit is really critical to safety.

I just bought a Sparco Circuit, and it fits me beautifully... however, I have to weld new rails in... I can't move it back far enough to get between the door frame and the head restraints.... (problems, problems...) I can't get in and can't get out, but its great once you're settled.

I drive to the track in the race seat, and its not bad... I once did 10 hours in one day (now that did s**k donkeys, BTW)... but because it spreads the load over your entire body, and is form fitting, it actually is more comfortable than some stock seats (I'm talking GM rental car here, not Porsche, of course).... but I'd still go for an S-Class Benz tow vehicle if I had the choice...

If you have a bony butt (nothing personal, of course), you may want to put a thin pad of high impact rubber (like the stuff they use on weightroom floors) under the cover....that will spread the load a bit.... and I do mean thin...maybe 1/4 inch or so...you don;t want alot of cushion under you, or your body will move too much in an impact.... bad news.

Belts are also an issue... the stock three-points probably won't fit properly, becasue the sides of many of these seats are so high... so you have to decide comfort vs safety... wearing your 5-points is probably best, but that does get tiresome after a while...
Old 08-23-2004 | 02:24 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by eunsulover
I am exactly the same size as you. Does your hip move around during hard "weight shifting" turns? Did you consider other seats like Sparco Rev (looks a bit smaller than Pro2000)?

Thanks so much!
Yep a little bit. They don't really move, but can feel a change in pressure. More like not so tight and snug.

Well how tight the seat fits is dependant on how much I weigh. Meaning If add 10 lbs it is just perfect. Right now a tiny bit loose. I did not try the Rev seat. This is my first racing seat so it fit really well and tight at first. Now it seems to be feeling a bit looser. Part of it is my preference for tight seat has increased. In time I will probably get a smaller seat, but for now will use the sidepads to help in the feel.
JCP You are right in that those side pads are no benefit in an impact.
Old 08-23-2004 | 02:28 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I have Recaro's in my race car - a Pole Position in the pass side and a SPG Pro Racer in the driver's side. I'm about 6ft and 180lbs and I love the driver's seat - there is no side-to-side movement as I fit fairly tight into this seat. If I gain much weight (hopefully won't happen) I may be in the market for a new seat!!
I also like the fact the head supports - I know there are safety benefits but I also find that my neck is less tired after a day of driving. I wear a HANS and this seat works great with the belt routing for the HANS device.
I wouldn't consider this to be a seat for a dual purpose car - the visibility is too compromised to take it on to the street.

Old 08-23-2004 | 03:31 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

These are leather-covered Recaro SPG Pole Positions. I drive the car 5 days a week on the street, as well as to tracks 500 miles or more away. My co-driver and I did about 2000 highway miles in the five days of this year's Open Track Challenge, without any complaints about the seats.

One tip: for long drives, experiment with changing the rake of the seat -- I found it was much more comfortable rocked back, slightly, so that the load is distributed over the length of your back a little more.

I'm 5'11", and 160 pounds. Pole Positions are slightly wider than the normal SPG. I take the two lower cushions out when I'm on the track, to sit a little lower and have a little better 'seat of the pants' feel.
Old 08-23-2004 | 03:54 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jack, sharp seats. Are these factory or did you have somebody cover them?
Old 08-23-2004 | 05:14 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

FVD in Germany makes the seats. They are replicas of the type Porsche used in the 964/993 Speedters and RS's. They're stupid expensive, unfortunately, especially with the current weak dollar. $1,495 each.

Still, they're nice seats.
Old 08-23-2004 | 06:27 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
FVD in Germany makes the seats. They are replicas of the type Porsche used in the 964/993 Speedters and RS's. They're stupid expensive, unfortunately, especially with the current weak dollar. $1,495 each. :
Still, they're nice seats.
This used to be correct up untill recently... Recaro now makes the seat in leather at the factory . It still retails at $1495, but Rennlisters don't pay retail
Evan
Old 08-23-2004 | 08:47 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I have a similar setup to Rick in my Cup car, but I have the Recaro ProRacer SPG XL which fits me at 6' 205#. The XL is 35mm wider than the standard ProRacer SPG.
Excellent seat, comfortable, but as stated earlier, not a street seat due to side head bolsters.
Old 08-23-2004 | 09:11 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here are my Sparco Evo 2's. I just use the standard steel sidemounts bolted directly to the floor(no sliders). I'm 6'2", 180lbs, and this gives me tons of head room and fits me pretty snug. Like Jack, I have them both raked back a bit. IMHO, they are better than the stock seats comfort wise. Have had more than one friend tell me the same thing too.

Considered getting the regular Evo's or Pro 2000's(both narrower), but then my car would be limited to drivers and passengers my size or less. The Evo 2 is comfortable for a wide(pun intended) range of people.

Test sit any seat you buy. My shoulders/torso were too tall for the Recaro SPG . . the narrow belt holes can be a problem for some.
Attached Images   
Old 08-23-2004 | 09:52 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Recaro SRD
6' - 225 lbs
Adjustable tilt back makes it very comforrtable for the long haul.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Please Post Your Racing/Track Seats!