Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

torsion v. spring axles for enclosed trailer.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 04:06 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default torsion v. spring axles for enclosed trailer.

Hello All,
I am looking at a couple of American Hauler enclosed trailers. One has torsion axles the other has spring. Identical other than that but the price is about $700 more for the torsion axles. This is due to the price increase of steel ($400) and the cost of the axles ($300). Does anyone have any experience w/ytorsion vs. spring axles? Is there a significant difference in hauling/loading?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:31 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Jeff, I'm enjoying my FIRST enclosed trailer, it has rubber torsion axles and is a Haulmark Elite Anniversary Edition...which had the "flair" options and rubber axles, aluminum wheels, etc.

I can tell you that this thing hauls and goes over bumps as smooooth as silk. I use an F-250 Power-Stroke to haul it, dunno what you're using for a "towpig"...maybe that helps to have a nice big, heavy tow vehicle, I dunno.

I had a flatbed with leafsprings...it was bouncy as it didn't have shocks and all...so I would put my vote in for the torsion axles...although they're $700 more...you decide, there are PLENTY of people out there with leafsprings on their enclosed trailers, and I'm sure they're getting along just fine.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:40 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I chose torsion axles for my little flyweight open trailer, as it results in a lower deck height. This meant I could use pretty short/light ramps (6') and still run my SRF on & off the trailer without scraping the underside.

Don't know if the enclosed trailers you're looking at would exploit that aspect of torsion axles or not, but you could check.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:27 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always been told the torsion bar axles are better and smoother.

Of course I'm cheap and use a leaf spring axle...

Quick Reply: torsion v. spring axles for enclosed trailer.