Club Racing a Semi-Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 11:17 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Club Racing a Semi-Daily Driver

I really want to get into club racing next year, but don't want to buy and store a track only car and don't want to make my C4S into a track only car.

So, here is the question - anyone out there club race a car that they can and still do drive as a semi-daily driver?

All your thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Thanks,

-Skip

Last edited by swftiii; 07-27-2004 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:21 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

HA HA HA HA HA HA,
Skip, give me a buzz
Old 07-27-2004, 11:23 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't know if my wife would want me to make that call... It's amazing how a quick call to Eric create's a great negative annuity for the family finances.

I'll give you a call tomorrow.

-Skip
Old 07-27-2004, 11:29 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Give me a call tomm (PM me if you lost the #) I think I can help save you money this time! (Remember, we are talking about a long time investement here!)
Old 07-27-2004, 11:34 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Eric - will do...
Old 07-28-2004, 03:50 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

In short.... No!!!! Once you get the bug big time, then you go to the full monty on suspension and with 1000 pound springs daily driver is no more unless you love your dentist and your chiropractor
Plus the full cage is not really good for our melons unprotected unless you plan on wearing a helmet everytime you drive the car Not to mention the hassle of getting in and out of the buckets, 6 point belts etc.
Look at it this way...you want to go racing? go Eric's way. I'm sure he will be pretty convincing SImply there is no way around it...
Old 07-28-2004, 05:55 AM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Your Insurance Co. would probably frown upon you racing your DD.

Greg A
Old 07-28-2004, 08:42 AM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Somebody once told me this when I asked about a racing a daily driver. They said only do it if you would say yes to the following question. You are moving to california and have just sold your house and you have the money in your pocket. You are planning on going there to buy another house. On the way there you stop in Las Vegas. Would you bet that money on one run on the roulette wheel? I guess in other words, you have to be able to walk away from the car. I decided I could not do that with my car, financially and emotionally. So I am buying a spec racer ford. Think about it.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:56 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Skip,

You know that I don't drive my car on the street very much but that's mostly becauase I don't have a set of street tires, preferring to not burn my R comps on the road. If I had another set of wheels and tires, I would semi daily drive the car.

You've got a roll bar and not a cage, so the helmet/head whack issue is not a problem. Even with monoballs and Motons, my car still rides acceptably well on the street. Is it as plush as with the PSS-9's? No, I don't think so, but it's not crashing and booming every time I hit a bump.

Beyond immediate ride concerns is how much punishment the monoballs and shocks are taking over and above the smooth confines of a race track when the car is driven on the street.

I know it has been done before; just get your car ready or buy a track car and get your butt out there!
Old 07-28-2004, 11:01 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My advice.
Drive the C4S and race 944. Being in Virgina you can even race 944 Cup.

I don't think you can race comfortable in a compromise car.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:09 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm with Mark. I still have my C2 tagged and insured for the street. In fact, if I can muster the energy, I'm going to put my muffler back on and drive it to the Valley Motors tech session this Saturday and then to the Autocross on Sunday. Sure, it's not a long distance car anymore. No air conditioning and no radio, but the Recaro SPG seat is more comforable than any stock Porsche seat.

Skip, if you want to go out and give club racing a try, I say do it. That's the nice part of PCA, you don't need a cage or to rip out your interior. If you decide you like it and it's worth buying a dedicated race car, you can still do it.

Gregg Wilson of Delaware Region is a great example. His daily driver 911SC is also is race car. Gregg doesn't have a tow vehicle and drives his car to all the races (and many times he wins) and usually has a friend bring up tires.

If you get any chips in the paint, just do what Mark and I have discovered....start putting stickers all around you car to hide them.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:11 AM
James Achard
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive my Club Racing Car to the track, this is what these cars were made for. My car is not as competitive but I can't afford all the Bling of a trailer right now. The single most important thing for me now is getting seat time. Everyone has different ways of getting there and right now this is how I go about it. Is it optimal, no, but I get alot of enjoyment out of it and when I do start trailering I know I'll be able to set up the car better and use the experience I have now to be much more competitive. Best of luck!! Club racing is alot of fun.

Cheers, James
Old 07-28-2004, 11:14 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While doing DE's with a DD is viable, I don't think Club Racing a DD is a good idea.

Club Racing a street legal car is doable, but as stated above, there are many compromises involved.

Skip: How much DE experience do you have?

-Z-man.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:15 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive mine everywhere as I have no other choice until I find a free tow vehicle. lol....But then I do rely heavily on my mechanical abilities to keep it running on the street and track. Risky but I do it. Been that way for 2 years now. But mine isn't an expensive car as yours. Dal
Old 07-28-2004, 11:16 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the comments everyone. We'll have to see what can be done.

Mark - "Getting my butt out there" is what I'm working on. If I have to wait for a dedicated car, it won't happen for another year or two, but I don't want to wait and am going to try and do my checkoff run at the Potomac DE in October.

Manny - I have new rubber now and turned a 1:28 last time out at Summit, so now you'll need to get me to 1:27 or 26. You going to any Summit events prior to the Zone2/Potomac weekend in October - you owe me an instruction session.

Quick Reply: Club Racing a Semi-Daily Driver