Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 12:25 AM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Open trailer size, need suggestions

Originally posted by APKhaos
There are a raft of economical steel trailers that will handle your 944S2 without requiring a removable fender to open & close the doors. Having used a Trailex which did rely on a fold-down fender to clear the doors of my 911, I would avoid it at all costs.]

Must have been a while ago. The current Trailex model 7541 open trailer is perfect for virtually all porsche models. No problem opening the door over the trailer fender on a lowered 911. And keep in mind that Trailex is a PCA Club Racing sponsor. Yes, a little more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Dan
Old 07-16-2004, 12:41 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Re: Open trailer size, need suggestions

Originally posted by Dan in Florida
Trailex is a PCA Club Racing sponsor. Yes, a little more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Dan
I agree Dan. My ideal trailer is the small enclosed V-nose Trailex - light, roomy enough, and a perfect compromise between open and the heavy hauler boxes.

My point to Steve was that there are many economical steel trailers out there that provide the same 'doors open' fender clearance. He should avoid models that require a drop fender.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:47 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Guys;

I don't want to rain on anyone, but I would reconsider the Trailex Enclosed thing. They are nice because they will drive through/fit in a garage, and they will allow you to "get away" with marginal tow vehicles like mid-sized SUVs, but...

I used a very early example for a couple of years, and frankly I was not impressed. I imagine they have improved since then (I would hope), but I found the quality very poor in many areas, or at the least very inconsistent. At most I can say that everything that overlapped with an open trailer was fine. What made it an enclosed was not always so great.

The doors were VERY flimsy and constantly became misaligned and wouldn't open or close right. The hardware stunk and the skin was far too thin and punctured or dented incredibly easily. Unless you are a midget, once the car is inside you can't get in it either. There is not much storage space and what there is is inaccessible as previously mentioned.

For the $12k it cost then, I could have built one far better for half price. Unless you simply can't justify having a real tow vehicle for some reason, I'd look elsewhere. Otherwise, take the $5000+ you'll save by buying a conventional enclosed trailer and invest it in a real tow truck!
Old 07-16-2004, 04:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would pitch in my 2 cents and recommend the CargoPro all aluminum enclosed trailers for consideration.
I went thru the trailer research exercise, seeing different ones at the tracks and speaking with owners.
My CargoPro20' (+ 51" V nose) weighs 2400 pounds with a fully finished interior (aluminum ceilings/walls, full diamonplate, cabinets, lights, carpet 3' up on the walls, etc). I could have gone with the 18' + V nose and still had plenty of room, but everyone said there is no such thing as too big trailer.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:40 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

I have a cargo Pro open (16') and drag the ol' 02C2 around on it. I couldn't be happier. Electric tariler brakes and a torsion bar suspension.

I use a 1500 Silverado to pull and it does wonderfully!
Old 07-17-2004, 10:06 AM
s2steve
Intermediate

Thanks for all your input. I am picking up the 16' open next week. I would love a 24' enclosed but I don't have a place to put it or an appropriate tow vehicle. When I get a diesel I'll get the big enclosed. (not to mention the $60,000 for the diesel and enclosed) My 2500HD 6.0L gas and the 16' open should be a good fit for one another. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Open trailer size, need suggestions