Sponsored by:

sparco or recaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 03:21 PM
Hubert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sparco or recaro

looking to get new seats, and wanted to get some real world feedback on both brands from those that have used them. i'm looking at the sparco evo2, or the recaro pole position; with respect to durability, build quality and value, which brand/seat would be the right choice? more over, i'm 6'2" and ~ 200 lbs. with a 34" waist -- are these seats appropriatly sized for my build?
thank you,
hubert
Old 07-13-2004, 03:49 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I am 6'2" 180 lbs, 34" and bought the Sparco 2000 which fit me perfect, except pushing my right leg towards the brake/clutch. For long drives it is uncomfortable. I think this the case of most racing seats though (right leg bolster not angling out enough). This was something I had not thought of when I was in the showroom.

Jim
Old 07-13-2004, 03:51 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Hubert,

Sparco or Recaro is a personal decision. The best way to make the decision is to get the chance to sit in both seats and see how they feel for you.

I'm 6'2" and about 220 and both fit nicely for me. I went with the Recaro's instead of the Sparco's and am very pleased with them. I think they are both nice seats.

You didn't mention what car they are going into and this is something to consider. Make sure they can be installed with ease into your ride.

-Skip
Old 07-13-2004, 04:02 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The butt test is the onyl one that counts. Both models are good quality, but it is the seat that fits you best that you want to find. Nothign compares with sitting in them.

I went shopping for SParco Evo II, and wound up buing the Kirkey Deluxe Roadrace seat. After sitting in both, the Kirkey was a far better fit and the aluminum construction was stronger and less flexy. Did not even consider Kirkey because I did not like their Intermediate Road Race seat. The Deluxe is an entirely different animal.

Go try some before you decide.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:57 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the SPG racer Pro and love it. But everyones comments are correct. My previous seat did not fit very well. So try and sit in one and harness up before you buy it.

Norm
Old 07-13-2004, 05:17 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Instead of the Sparco EVO 2, try the MOMO Acropolis 2. Friend with an identical 993 has the Sparco's and the MOMO seats are a good inch lower with the same side rails.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:05 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Hubert,
If you are long-waisted, I'd encourage you to sit in the Recaro and determine where the harness slots are in relation to the tops of your shoulders.

I'm 6'5", and when I sit in a Recaro (I was considering the SPG) the shoulder harness openings were so far below the tops of my shoulders, the harness would have to dip down to go through the slot then up and over my shoulder, which is not a safe situation.

Because of that, I went w/ the Evo2 whose shoulder cutouts are taller.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:25 PM
BrucePigozzi
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's good advice here! Go to a large track event and sit in as many variations as you can. My '88 991 sunroof coupe offered less than zero headroom with helmet on. Porsche sport seat brought me down about 0.5 inches, Recaro maybe an inch, Sparco got me down lower than anythingelse.
At one point I called Recarro and they told me Sparco was the only way to get lower. (then put a Momo smaller wheel and extender on so I could lean back abit) I now fit quite comfortably!
Old 07-14-2004, 04:40 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Carrol Smiths series "to win" has a page or two on choosing the right seat. Assuming you are talking about a race or track car primarily. Carrol points out that a seat that allows you to relax your body and drive as opposed to bracing and flexing with the car movement will make you faster. Second to the seat keeping you in place is the safety aspect. The styles that wrap around the helmet like a SPG Pro Racer would be my first choice. Get trash bags and foam and make a mold incert.

Quick Reply: sparco or recaro