Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DE today/tommorow - corded left tire......

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 11:00 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Default DE today/tommorow - corded left tire......

Anyone on the board tonight with the experience I could use some input/help:

PCA DE today (again tomorow). I ran 3 sessions as per usual, with my Victoracers's. Got home (I live 10 miles form the track), and in the driveway noticed that the left front tire is "corded" a bit on the outside 1".

This is my first set of track tires ever so I'm a noob.
Question are:

1. Is it safe to swap front tires (left to right), and do a few laps tommorow or is this tire DONE/UNSAFE?

2. Is it safe to at least drive 10 miles to the track and back?

I just don't know enough about the whole "corded" thing

The real bummer is tommorow is timed laps/ Challenge Series and I was running really strong today.

TIA
Old 07-10-2004, 11:08 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

I've driven 100+ miles on a corded tire before- you are at higher risk of puncture, but it's not the end of the world. I would strongly caution against driving on the track with it, though. It's done.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:10 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Re: DE today/tommorow - corded left tire......

Originally posted by CanyonBlaster
Anyone on the board tonight with the experience I could use some input/help:

PCA DE today (again tomorow). I ran 3 sessions as per usual, with my Victoracers's. Got home (I live 10 miles form the track), and in the driveway noticed that the left front tire is "corded" a bit on the outside 1".

This is my first set of track tires ever so I'm a noob.
Question are:

1. Is it safe to swap front tires (left to right), and do a few laps tommorow or is this tire DONE/UNSAFE?

2. Is it safe to at least drive 10 miles to the track and back?

I just don't know enough about the whole "corded" thing

The real bummer is tommorow is timed laps/ Challenge Series and I was running really strong today.

TIA
Try one session and see. The cords are a long way from the air.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:27 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm assuming you used the tires in other events, because wearing through them in 3 heat cycles sounds awfully quick.

I've seen people use corded tires on the track with no real drama. I've also seen tire and wheel blowouts with lots of drama. If your event has any sort of tech procedure, it's doubtful they would let you on the track.

For what it's worth, I certainly wouldn't use corded tires on the track. Sure, maybe nothing will happen. But, if it does, you'll be kicking yourself hard. If something happens and you hit somebody else, they'll be kicking you even harder.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:41 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 808 Likes on 409 Posts

I 100% agree with Brian P...why take chances. A couple of runs is not worth the potential of tens of thousands of $s in damage...or even worse, medical bills.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:47 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 61 Posts

Use your streets, if you have them. Back it down a bit, but you still get to run today. It'll be a good experience.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:02 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Take it from a guy that had a tire failure* result in $20k+ in damage. DO NOT drive on it. It is just not worth the risk.

*my failure was not related to cording, tire simply delaminated...
Old 07-11-2004, 09:41 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey All;

I've not run corded tires, but I've run on blistered tires before. In fact, I still have those tires for spares. Back in my Noob days when I didn't have enough negative camber, like Canyon (probably), I blistered a left pair of 008Rs in 5 days. Man... I was bummed. I learned, got more negative camber, and did a test.

I put those tires on the right side where they would have it easier. I used a tire crayon to mark the blisters. Mine were blistered so far out on the shoulder that the crayon never wore off!

Track those tires? You'd be taking a chance in any event. Unless you had a very specific issue like me, I don't think so. Autocross?.. sure.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:51 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I wouldn't take a chance on the track with any corded tire. It's not just your car and your life but someone elses property and body that will be at risk.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:26 PM
944Ecology
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, after all the combined wisdom of the list being provided to you, what did you decide to do?

gb
Old 07-11-2004, 12:42 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Hi guys and thanks

I'm not going to run the tire. I pretty much thought it was a big NO, just first time cording so was lookin' for some epxperience. Thanks for all the responses.

I got about 8- 10 track days out of them. Yes, I need to get some camber plates (as well as a new set of tires - he he )!

I'm going out to the track on the street tires and help-out, do my corner work etc.. I can't run with those cuz' they're shot too.

Time to call tire rack!

Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: DE today/tommorow - corded left tire......