Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shenandoah Circuit Update, anyone know?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 09:56 PM
wch
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Shenandoah Circuit Update, anyone know?

A triumph of hope over experience: I have signed up for a September event at this track. Organizers say the date is a done deal, I say "thanks, but I'll take the bridge and Florida land." Anyone know whether the track really is near completion?
Old 07-08-2004, 12:46 AM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Will be out there this weekend Bill, so I'll give it a look. Last I was there(mid-May) things still looked pretty rough. I too am hoping to run that track in '04
Old 07-08-2004, 11:33 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

I was at Summit last week. I did not inspect the new track progress but did notice lots of heavy equipment, (graders, dump tracks...) working.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:24 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 475 Posts

I too am looking forward to a Sept. event at the new track. Along the same lines can anyone offer any cons (not that I am a pesimist by nature) to running a new track...i.e. surface possibly slippery with new paving etc. I was at Summit last week and if the track is indeed ready for Sept., it will be just ready. That is to say I don't think there will be time to test it, if they do such a thing. Just thinking out loud here. Thanks.

Jamie

Last edited by jford; 07-08-2004 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:42 PM
pcsanady
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you look at the Summit Point schedule all of the events scheduled for the Shenendoah track have been cancelled. I just hope it's finished before the Potomac event at the end of October ...
Old 07-08-2004, 03:26 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I guess the biggest problem at new tracks is the lack of black marks to show you the line and where to spin.....

Seriously, if it is hot, green pavement can get pretty torn up and put lost of gravel just off line. This happened when Mosport was re-paved shortly before a very hot Club Race Weekend. turn 1 had a trench in it and just driver's left of the line looked like a gravel parking lot. This, in spite of them sweeping it several times during the day.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:30 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dave,
Thats the type of issue I am concerned about. Some guys at a DE were saying once that they ran Limerock after it had just been repaved and it was very slick. Wondering if there is some type of break in procedure they run on a new (or repaved) track.

Jamie
Old 07-08-2004, 05:02 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

The best thing to do would be to pave it and let it sit . . . for a year. But with all the anticipation building for the completion of this track, I doubt BS will elect to do that. I believe VIR sat for a year before they reopenned in 2000. That surface has held up pretty well, but it too is starting to crack and crumble a bit. Noticed this during a track walk in the fall of '03
Old 07-08-2004, 05:29 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Mike. New tracks, or repaved tracks, that aren't allowed to "cure" for a few months seem to start crumbling early. The decision to postpone the opening of VIR seems to have been a good one, as it has held up well so far. Some may remember that parts of Summit Point were repaved several years ago and we went right at it soon afterward. The newly paved parts started breaking up (especially near apexes) so badly that they placed apex cones out into the track. There was so much loose stuff flying around that some (including me) just pulled in and packed up. I'm looking foward to Shenandoah, but I'm willing to wait for proper curing.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:25 PM
DAR951
Pro

Originally posted by pcsanady
If you look at the Summit Point schedule all of the events scheduled for the Shenendoah track have been cancelled.
Actually that's not entirely accurate.

All Shenandoah events through August have been canceled... September on remains.

However even those could be a stretch... was there last night and while work continues (Jersey walls all, or pretty much all, seem to be in place and the soft tire walls in front of them are going up) there are still track sections remaining to be paved... got a ways to go...
Old 07-08-2004, 08:32 PM
jen993
Cruisin'

As much as I would like to drive Shenandoah this fall, I agree that the best thing they can do is let the track sit over the winter.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:03 PM
pcsanady
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by DAR951
Actually that's not entirely accurate.

All Shenandoah events through August have been canceled... September on remains.

However even those could be a stretch... was there last night and while work continues (Jersey walls all, or pretty much all, seem to be in place and the soft tire walls in front of them are going up) there are still track sections remaining to be paved... got a ways to go...
You're right; I was thinking one thing and typing something else:<(
Old 07-09-2004, 12:53 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default VIR

Originally posted by Mike Buck
The best thing to do would be to pave it and let it sit . . . for a year. But with all the anticipation building for the completion of this track, I doubt BS will elect to do that. I believe VIR sat for a year before they reopenned in 2000. That surface has held up pretty well, but it too is starting to crack and crumble a bit. Noticed this during a track walk in the fall of '03
Yeah that really s**ks. VIR is a favorite NASCAR Test Track so it was only a matter of time!
Old 07-10-2004, 04:44 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

A few more comments on brand new pavement.

All tracks in the north east have concrete patches in the high lateral force corners. Most southern ones don't. The reason is that any asphalt that will survive winters (frost) will not tolerate the side loads a modern slick-shod race car can generate.

The newness of the pavement and ambient temperatures exacerbate this.

As far as 'slick' new pavement is concerned, I am certain that new asphalt 'sweats' oily fractions from the tar in the mix. My evidence of this is the oil/water mix you can see on fresh asphalt when it rains. That, and a lack of rubber makes new tracks pretty slick.

Interesting thread.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:19 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dave,
I have heard the same thing from other drivers. This is an interesting thread and will be very relevent for those of us trying to get some time on the new track (or any new track for that matter). The subject has deviated from the initial topic of the post however which is limiting the feedback for a very important topic. Might be a good idea to start a new thread driectly relating to driving a new or repaved track.

Jamie

Quick Reply: Shenandoah Circuit Update, anyone know?